Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Met a gent one time who had a real dilemma(?).
    His wife, (bless her heart!) gave him a Colt-Sauer rifle in .270 Win for his b'day about 3 months before his CO elk hunting trip.

The problem?
    Every thing he fed it worked!
    130's, 150's, 160's and even some 170's he dug up!
    Sierra, Hornady, Speer, Nosler, Remington.
    Powders too!
    That was in late 70's!
    Never did hear what he finally settled on, but knowing him, an elk died in CO that year from a shot from a Colt-Sauer .270 Win!

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    And two thumbs up for the pictures. Nice idea.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Sorry, I meant that longer (heavier) bullets would fit in the mag box. But that wouldn’t matter if the twist wasn’t right to stabilize them.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Before I started reading about all the ballistic aspects of shooting life was much more simple. Guns used to just be guns, shooting was just about skill. Now they both involve math.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Started thinking about this after the fact, the longer bottom metal would mean a long action mag box as well? You might have good luck with heavy for caliber bullets. I’d still guess it has a conventional twist rate but wondered if that might have something to do with it not liking the 120’s.
    Don't overthink it. The mag well has nothing to do with what happens in the bore. Rifling is conventional. Sometimes thats just how it goes.
    I see Winchester still makes a stainless featherweight with wood stock($1,200or so) and a synthetic stocked stainless($1,300 give or take) Both crf. Very nice looking. Did a new photo of mine, in the same pose as my "iconic" 700 mtn Rem. IMG_1085.PNG for comparison IMG_2533.JPG

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Started thinking about this after the fact, the longer bottom metal would mean a long action mag box as well? You might have good luck with heavy for caliber bullets. I’d still guess it has a conventional twist rate but wondered if that might have something to do with it not liking the 120’s.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    I didn’t know that about the floor plate. Cost saver I’m
    sure. All Tikka’s are built on long actions for that reason.

I think the .270 ‘flyer bought was a push feed. I’d have to look close to figure out one from the other. I definitely prefer the featherweight to the standard style but that’s a cosmetic thing. Which is important in its own right.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Funny how that works sometimes. The Kid’s 7mm08 shoots both weights well, but to different horizontal poi. It’s been consistent so far but it will be interesting to see how it does with hand loads. I have multiple choices of both 120’s and 140’s but I’m hoping the 120 TTSX’s shoot well right out of the gate. They did in factory form.

What’s your overall impression with the Winchester? You’re the right guy for me to ask given your history with your Remington. I looked at a couple Winchesters last Sunday but didn’t pick one up off a table. I’m still trying to figure out the differences between the various versions. A stainless featherweight .270 would be awfully tempting if I came across one.
    Personally I'm not a fan of controlled round feed. (Don't tell anyone) 😧 They do make push feeds, that's what I'd look for in a 270. 3 position safety I could pass on too. The trigger on the older Winchester is EASY to adjust and get a sweet pull on. I like the heavier contour of the Winchester barrel as well but overall I am happy I chose my 700mtn. The floorplate on model 70's are all long action, even on the short actions.(if you need a pic to grasp what I mean let me know.) I think in my case it was the right way to go. If someone else feels the other way I can understand where they are coming from.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Funny how that works sometimes. The Kid’s 7mm08 shoots both weights well, but to different horizontal poi. It’s been consistent so far but it will be interesting to see how it does with hand loads. I have multiple choices of both 120’s and 140’s but I’m hoping the 120 TTSX’s shoot well right out of the gate. They did in factory form.

What’s your overall impression with the Winchester? You’re the right guy for me to ask given your history with your Remington. I looked at a couple Winchesters last Sunday but didn’t pick one up off a table. I’m still trying to figure out the differences between the various versions. A stainless featherweight .270 would be awfully tempting if I came across one.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    started a topic 7mm-08 range time

7mm-08 range time

Almost sold this one because I couldn't get it under about 2". Then sitting at home I thought hmm, I've only been using 120gr because I have mostly those. So I dug out my 140gr Fusions. Ta da. Guess it just doesn't like 120's. Oh well, have to let the rifle make the decision right. Stay safe IMG_2531.JPG IMG_1971.JPG

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Christmas present "trade"?
    by dewman
    You fellas remember I posted pics a ways back where I redid my 511-x .22? Well my son called me soon after and asked me to put it up and not shoot it...
    Yesterday, 02:48 PM
  • Finally filled that elk tag!
    by Ernie
    Sometimes what you think is going to be a relatively easy and quick hunt, turns into a longer process. This has been the case, to fill my cow/calf elk...
    11-30-2021, 01:05 PM
  • Leupold screwed me
    by dewman
    had a little time yesterday afternoon so thought I would take a moment to get my recently "repaired" Leupold vx2 lined out. As it turns out,...
    11-29-2021, 09:57 AM
  • The TGIF Buck
    by fitch270
    First off, a shout out to FB for hanging out with me this afternoon from over 1000 miles away. I’m still a bit dumbfounded about what went down....
    11-26-2021, 11:49 PM
  • Have you tried a "shemagh"?
    by FirstBubba
    I put this on F&S also to give everybody a heads up.

"... The shemagh, also known as the keffiyeh or Arab scarf, is a simple yet...
    11-25-2021, 12:06 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X