Purchase Hesitation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase Hesitation?

I possibly had one of those “He who hesitates is lost” moments this past weekend. Hard to tell because I didn’t ask if they had any available in .270 Win. Afraid they’d said yes.

On our way camping last weekend we needed to stop for gas as we were coming up to an exit where there’s a Gander Outdoors store. We’d been on the road for 2 1/2 hours so we decided after fueling up to stop in to see if they had any .22 ammo on hand and to stretch our legs a bit.They didn’t have the ammo, but as I mentioned on F&S they were running a promo that gave us 60% off all clearance prices as well as all Apparel and Fishing Gear. We weren’t planning to stay long so grabbed a few things knowing we’d be back through on Sunday. On our way hime we took our time and picked up a number of other bargains, the Kid especially with his own money.

Anyway, we were going to end up dropping a decent chunk of change so I was trying to keep impulse buying in check. I really laid off the fishing gear. Unfortunately back in the gun rack they had several new Rem 700 CDL SF’s sitting there for under $750. I’ve mentioned before that I’d like to get a stainless BDL style to drop in the Greyboe stock I have IF I can keep the weight down near 8 1/4 lbs or so with scope. I’d prefer a 22” barrel over the CDL’s 24” tube but that’s not a deal breaker. The overall weight and the appearance in the magnum contoured stock is my hold up. There’s only one way to find out and buyers remorse is a possibility. Since I’m more set on an overall concept than particular rifle I’ve been trying trying to keep my options open. Unfortunately options are limited around here right now and it’s getting difficult not scratching this itch that’s been bothering me for a few years. I may just have to give Gander a call.

As usual just thinking out loud here but still curious how long you guys have held off on guns you wanted before giving in. Since this would be for a working rifle and not a safe queen I feel like I’ve passed on enough to have paid my dues so to speak.

I still say that unless you buy junk or pay an outrageous price for a firearm, it's a good investment that will only increase in value.

Comment

You remember the Tootsie Roll owl? Well, let's just say "I never made it without biting." The search for the ideal is never a straight path no matter how well thought out ahead of time. Still would take a Bergara b-14 over any 700 Rem at this time though. For building, a Howa barreled action.
      FWIW If I am looking for a 22" barrel and they only had 24", that would be an easy pass from me unless the stock was exceptional or a rare caliber I'd been wanting to try. Not an issue in your case and an easy pass. Think you did right.👍👍. Give you 2 thumbs up to ease any lagging doubt.
      Last edited by dewman; 07-14-2021, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Don't do it. Wait until you find exactly what you want. Remember, a patient hunter is a successful hunter. Getting a new 'working rifle' should be like entering a long term romantic relationship instead of casually falling in love whenever a short skirt catches your eye.

I waited 4 years before purchasing the Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'd been wanting an American since they were introduced. A rifle in 6.5x55 was on my want list for 20 years before that and procrastination paid off... I got the same functionality but in a more modern way.

I still haven't purchased a .375 H&H, and that's been on the list for 25 years. The way things are going, it probably won't ever happen unless I run across a really good deal.

Sure I've got some impulse buys in the safe and closet. But my working rifles were well thought out after much research and tire-kicking.

As an added note: I try to pay attention to my gut feelings. There's usually a good reason for purchase hesitancy and my policy is "When in doubt - Don't". There's an opportunity cost when you buy because that reduces future options.
        Last edited by PigHunter; 07-14-2021, 10:33 AM.

Comment

As an added note: I try to pay attention to my gut feelings. There's usually a good reason for purchase hesitancy and my policy is "When in doubt - Don't". There's an opportunity cost when you buy because that reduces future options.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point, maybe the best point to consider.

Comment

Fitch: I've never owned a perfect rifle, but I've bought lots of perfect rifles. That sums it up for me.

Comment

LOL, everything you guys have said has been rattling around in my head for some time now. I could hand a blank check to any number of competent smiths along with my specs and likely still come up short somehow.

Whats bugging me the most is that this combination had risen to the top of the list, I just wasn’t expecting to stumble into the opportunity. That’s assuming they even had a .270 on hand. I should have at least asked if they did and checked one over just to get an idea of the machining and overall feel even if it was in the wrong chambering.

Shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone but it’s probably as much about tinkering with them as anything. The last couple combinations I’ve put together for the kids have been fun projects and I’ve done ok with what I have in them. I just don’t want to get too deep into something that isn’t even semi custom and too much of a compromise over some factory offerings out there.

Comment

Walked into Atwood's this morning. After some unproductive shopping, I checked the gun and ammo section.
                Ammo, except for some 12 gauge, was nonexistent!

...but I did find this!

20210714_123719.jpg
                COOL, FAR OUT AND GROOVY!

Closer inspection revealed a Heritage Arms with a fit and finish I could have achieved blindfolded with a 3 corner file and a hatchet!
                $199.99
                The blueing looked like it had been painted on.

My "purchase" meter went from "hesitation" to "hell no!" like instantly!
                Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-14-2021, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Well, a working rifle has different definitions for everyone. For me,

1) It's got to be chambered in one of my preferred cartridges
                  2) The manufacturer has to say it can shoot 1 MOA or better
                  3) It's not expensive and too purdy - so scratches and minor knocks won't cause me to cry
                  4) It's not heavy
                  5) The safety, loading, and unloading is easy to operate
                  6) It's got a good trigger
                  7) The stock fits me well when shouldered
                  8) Threaded barrel for suppressor
                  Last edited by PigHunter; 07-14-2021, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                    Walked into Atwood's this morning. After some unproductive shopping, I checked the gun and ammo section.
                    Ammo, except for some 12 gauge, was nonexistent!

...but I did find this!

20210714_123719.jpg
                    COOL, FAR OUT AND GROOVY!

Closer inspection revealed a Heritage Arms with a fit and finish I could have achieved blindfolded with a 3 corner file and a hatchet!
                    $199.99
                    The blueing looked like it had been painted on.

My "purchase" meter went from "hesitation" to "hell no!" like instantly!
                    Think outside the box, it would make a nifty cane!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                      Well, a working rifle has different definitions for everyone. For me,

1) It's got to be chambered in one of my preferred cartridges
                      2) The manufacturer has to say it can shoot 1 MOA or better
                      3) It's not expensive and too purdy - so scratches and minor knocks won't cause me to cry
                      4) It's not heavy
                      5) The safety, loading, and unloading is easy to operate
                      6) It's got a good trigger
                      7) The stock fits me well when shouldered
                      8) Threaded barrel for suppressor

Good criteria, although for my purposes I’d quantify #3 at about $1500 simply because I’d like something above the econo/entry level and no #8 since I’m in NY and a suppressor isn’t likely to happen.

I’d reiterate that a stainless synthetic rifle is the end goal as well. Having used the Greyboe on my 700 and the Kid’s B&C stocked 700 I can say without question I like both better than either factory Tupperware stock that came with the 700 ADL I picked up for my daughter and the back up Ruger American for the Kid. Of the Greyboe and B&C I’d give the nod to the Greyboe for ergonomics, build wise both seem about the same quality. The only downside to the Greyboe is it was one of the early models that only came inletted for a magnum contour barrel. Not a deal breaker either or I wouldn’t have ordered it in the first place. The B&C has the typical thick wrist that some don’t like. To me it just feels different and is something I could get used to. The Kids’s hands are about the same size as mine, he likes the feel now. Dewman mentioned once that the CZ .22’s we use do have a thicker wrist as well, I hadn’t really noticed until he brought it up. Ergonomically the CZ’s and the Kid’s mountain rifle aren’t too far apart so that may work in the Kid’s favor.

Besides modifying a Remington there are a couple other factory options I’m thinking about.

Christensen Arms Mesa: A 700 clone with some upgrades, including cerakoted stainless and a Trigger Tech trigger. Also threaded with a muzzle break and a cap. Downside is no .270 chambering but does come in 7-08. Have never laid eyes on the real thing. Consumer reviews seem to run hot or cold.

Winchester All Weather M70. Pretty sure it checks most of the boxes. I believe the stock is a B&C similar to the Kid’s, again not a deal breaker but going to a Winchester would be a big leap for me.

If I stick with Remington a trigger replacement may be factored into the cost. I could swap the Walker back in my BDL and use the Timney that’s in there now but not sure I’d go that route. Already have the stock so no issue there. For a good enough deal it could leave room in the budget for some additional work. Problem is both new or used ones could need more than just optional upgrades.

Comment

fitch270,

"... Shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone but it’s probably as much about tinkering with them as anything. ..."

I know Andy C. would absolutely go insane, but if you want something to "tinker" with, getcha an AR!
                        They are an absolute blast and a "tinkerer's delight"!
                        😀
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 07-14-2021, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                          fitch270,

"... Shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone but it’s probably as much about tinkering with them as anything. ..."

I know Andy C. would absolutely go insane, but if you want something to "tinker" with, getcha an AR!
                          They are an absolute blast a a "tinkerer's delight"!
                          😀
                          I think that ship may have sailed. My main motivation for getting one would simply have been out of spite for the Safe Act, not a great reason really. With the current ammo situation it’s doubtful I’ll pick up anything I’m not able to feed out of existing supplies. That still leaves some options but the ability to rapidly burn ammo isn’t exactly something I’m interested in right now.

Comment

pighunter, you got WAY to many definitions! LOL!
                            If I see it and I like it and it's priced right, I'm interested!
                            ...but I DO have some cartridge restrictions!

Comment

fitch270, I understand, but it doesn't change they are a "tinkerer's delight".

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bee hive construction
                                by FirstBubba
                                So far, I've built a "bee vacuum" and a "swarm trap".
                                When I deploy the trap this spring, I'll need at least one hive....I hope!...
                                Yesterday, 10:45 PM
                              • He’s in
                                by fitch270
                                The Kid got his acceptance letter yesterday from the college he’s mainly interested in. Including a decent scholarship right off the top. Still another...
                                Yesterday, 07:07 PM
                              • 280AI Draws First Blood
                                by Ernie
                                BCG 280 Ackley Improved XP-100. This custom XP-100 shoots so good, and everyone who has shot it loves it.
                                I finally was able to draw first blood...
                                10-23-2021, 04:27 PM
                              • Preserving meat, fish and produce.
                                by FirstBubba
                                This subject was broached as a tangent to another thread on F&S!

Do you process your own game?

What preservation methods...
                                10-21-2021, 09:21 PM
                              • Odd injury
                                by fitch270
                                Posted on F&S also.

This little button buck has been coming in the back yard this week for apples that fell. The kids had noticed he’s...
                                10-17-2021, 05:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X