Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One last reblue for the old squirrelmaster(scoremster) 511-x

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • One last reblue for the old squirrelmaster(scoremster) 511-x

    Will have had it and hunted hard with it 50yrs come next July. I'll make it nice one last time. The kids want it but even if it goes down the road if I spiffy it up maybe it will garner a little extra pride, hence better care, from whoever calls it theirs. There could be a pretty cool book written about its history. Before Missouri it called Colorado,South Dakota, Kentucky, and Michigan home. Of course, some stories would be omitted.😉. Pleading the 5th don't you know.(that's funny because a few times a 5th was involved). IMG_2411.JPG IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2412.JPG

  • #2
    Going to re-blue it yourself? Oxpho Blue? Sounds like you've done it before. Nice rig.

    I've done some cold blue touch ups, never a full job. I did have an old single shot .22 action I found in the rafters; had it all stripped, sanded, polished. Got interrupted by a basement project, and it sat "in the white" over a summer.

    Oops. Time to start over, if at all.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
      Going to re-blue it yourself? Oxpho Blue? Sounds like you've done it before. Nice rig.

      I've done some cold blue touch ups, never a full job. I did have an old single shot .22 action I found in the rafters; had it all stripped, sanded, polished. Got interrupted by a basement project, and it sat "in the white" over a summer.

      Oops. Time to start over, if at all.
      Yes, myself. Just Super Blue. Did 7 coats,scotchbrite pad between. It will work for me. If it was something to sink money into rebluing I would send it to Fords. There's cerakote and hydro dipping as good options too for the finer weapons. This cold blue by me is what the kids asked me to do. Awhile back I was going to get the bolt of my 700 fluted but the kids wanted no part of it(?) or even rejeweling it(?) so I just polished it up shiny.
      Last edited by dewman; 05-21-2021, 01:57 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        image_2856.jpg
        Originally posted by dewman View Post
        Yes, myself. Just perma blue. Did 7 coats,scotchbrite pad between. It will work for me. If it was something to sink money into rebluing I would send it to Fords. There's cerakote and hydro dipping as good options too for the finer weapons. This cold blue by me is what the kids asked me to do. Awhile back I was going to get the bolt of my 700 fluted but the kids wanted no part of it(?) or even rejeweling it(?) so I just polished it up shiny.
        Geez Dewman, 50 is not that old. Here is my Winchester '94 circa 1956. Original finish. Never drilled for sling. I used to tie clothes line around barrel and through lever to carry when I was dragging a deer. . Wish I had a dollar for every mile I carried this. Jim

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
          image_2856.jpg

          Geez Dewman, 50 is not that old. Here is my Winchester '94 circa 1956. Original finish. Never drilled for sling. I used to tie clothes line around barrel and through lever to carry when I was dragging a deer. . Wish I had a dollar for every mile I carried this. Jim
          I've only killed one deer with a mod 94 30-30. Back in the '70's on a drive in Michigan I swapped my BAR 7Rmag with a stander while us younger fellas pushed woodlots. This guy tried to sneak back through. IMG_1081.PNG

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, I didn’t start the drift but I’ll add to it. This is my first ever deer, a doe shot with a Win 94 30-30 borrowed from an Uncle and used on a drive he decided to sit out. RIfle is circa 1952 I believe. It now resides in my safe, my Aunt gave it to me a number of years after her husband passed. When she heard I took this doe she decided I should have the rifle. About 35 years after this picture I took it out one day for an old school hunt wearing jeans and an orange hoody. Pulled the trigger on it for just the second time ever and killed my first coyote.

            All 89 lbs of me in ‘83 with my youngest brother cropped out. Funny thing is this was two days after Thanksgiving and it wasn’t exactly frigid out.


            055CF62A-CE58-4A8F-B614-077F325E02EB.jpeg
            Last edited by fitch270; 05-21-2021, 11:17 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Dewman, post up the results when you’re finished please!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                Well, I didn’t start the drift but I’ll add to it. This is my first ever deer, a doe shot with a Win 94 30-30 borrowed from an Uncle and used on a drive he decided to sit out. RIfle is circa 1952 I believe. It now resides in my safe, my Aunt gave it to me a number of years after her husband passed. When she heard I took this doe she decided I should have the rifle. About 35 years after this picture I took it out one day for an old school hunt wearing jeans and an orange hoody. Pulled the trigger on it for just the second time ever and killed my first coyote.

                All 89 lbs of me in ‘83 with my youngest brother cropped out. Funny thing is this was two days after Thanksgiving and it wasn’t exactly frigid out.


                055CF62A-CE58-4A8F-B614-077F325E02EB.jpeg
                Last gun show I was at over a year ago, '94's in nice condition were asking $1200 +.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Fitch: sometimes the drifting off is the best part of a thread. Best pics I can do without natural light. I promise the blue is perfectly even throughout. IMG_2415.JPG IMG_2418.JPG IMG_2413.JPG

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well done!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Very nice!

                      Comment

                      Welcome!

                      Collapse

                      Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                      If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                      And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                      Right Rail 1 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Top Active Users

                      Collapse

                      There are no top active users.

                      Right Rail 2 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      Right Rail 3 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Footer Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X