Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wings!!!

Comment

I wanted my .340 Weatherby to be long range as well as short range. have a good size scope on it and have found a machine shop that makes solid steel see through rings. they fit the action fine and very little movement goes from scope to see through rings. So I am covered from 400yds+ to 20yds.

what causes the letter style to change ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        I wanted my .340 Weatherby to be long range as well as short range. have a good size scope on it and have found a machine shop that makes solid steel see through rings. they fit the action fine and very little movement goes from scope to see through rings. So I am covered from 400yds+ to 20yds.

what causes the letter style to change ?
        Fat fingers?

Comment

Long and short range sighting is easily achieved with a variable scope. I've shot multiple running pigs up close with my scoped 308 bolt-action. Neither a semi-auto nor iron sights were required.
          Last edited by PigHunter; 04-28-2021, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I mentioned earlier my son’s .222 already had the irons removed when he got it. Today I happened to be going by the home of the guy who gifted it, he was outside doing yard work so I stopped in quick. He tells me he had been looking for something else and found the sights to the .222 and asked if I wanted them. I just smiled and said sure, why not. Too bad the front sight is missing.

4B97548D-86B5-46F3-8F84-137D529165B1.jpeg

The old box is kinda cool.

Comment

I yank the rear sights on my 700s for scope clearance but leave the fronts on. Think they look better like that.

One plus.....with the fronts on, less likely to misplace/ lose the front sight LOL.

Backup sighting system?

No.

I bring a whole nuther rifle ( scoped ).

Comment

Originally posted by CD2 View Post
                I yank the rear sights on my 700s for scope clearance but leave the fronts on. Think they look better like that.

One plus.....with the fronts on, less likely to misplace/ lose the front sight LOL.

Backup sighting system?

No.

I bring a whole nuther rifle ( scoped ).
                The front sight helps to keep the rifle from falling over when leaning up against a tree or other structure.

On a trip one rifle is scoped and one is iron sight. Depends on the weather which I use.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                  No wings!!!
                  I agree, but I hope you're OK with front splitters and rear spoilers...

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                    Long and short range sighting is easily achieved with a variable scope. I've shot multiple running pigs up close with my scoped 308 bolt-action. Neither a semi-auto nor iron sights were required.
                    Not what I wanted.

Comment

Not what I wanted.
                      I understand and to each their own.

But with no problems, I've shot multiple running game at 10 to 15 yards with a scope set at 4.5x. That's without having to quickly decide which sighting system to use and changing my cheek position on the stock.

Comment

Not what I wanted.
                        That's why I mounted a 1.5-4×20 Leopold on my AR.
                        On 1.5 power, it's perfect for up close and personal.
                        I "can" turn it up to 4× if I need the magnification.
                        I'm not going to shoot over about 200 yards anyway. LOL!
                        Last edited by FirstBubba; 04-29-2021, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                          Well, surprisingly, this thread has wandered into stick shifts and typing!

I'm careful when using soft cases to haul iron-sighted long arms. They're mainly for canoeing because hard cases are cumbersome in a small boat.

I learned to drive a stick-shift truck when I was eleven years old. My first car had three on the column. The last stick-shift I owned was a 91 Honda Accord EX with moon-roof. Even in automatic cars, I move my hand to the gear shift when slowing for a turn - old habit.
                          I learned on a LJ Mack truck with a duplex transmission - 15 speed with two shift sticks. To go from say 3rd under to 2nd direct you put your arm through the steering wheel and shifted them both at the same time.

Comment

My next deer rifle will be iron sights only.
                            STG 58 clone.

Comment

Did find a place w Steyr CLii SX in stock. Shorter .308.
                              $1900 is a bit much for my budget at the moment.
                              Could sell my Commander to fund it.

Hmm...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget