Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remington 788 Timney Trigger

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remington 788 Timney Trigger

    Midway USA sent notification they're finally shipping the Timney trigger I ordered for the Remington 788.

    Timney Rifle Trigger Remington 788 Safety 1-1/2 to 4 lb Black (midwayusa.com)

    I'm looking forward to doing the installation and plan to post pics of the process. Gaining a more reliable safety is the main reason for replacing the factory trigger. Of course the added benefit will be a lighter pull. The factory trigger breaks cleanly at 5.5 lbs (24.5 N)

    What's been your experiences with Timney triggers?

  • #2
    I do like a good trigger. I've changed a Ruger M77 Mk II to a Timney, and two Latest-production M70 Winchesters. Oh, and a Rem M700 with the old Walker trigger.

    The Ruger was more difficult, as you had to file the safety block to fit, but worked OK after. The Winchesters are just plug and play, and once adjusted are good. Same with the Remington. Not sure if your 788 is the same as the 700's.

    I have mine set at 2.25-2.5 lbs, which I am told is too light, but they suit me fine, are safe, and pretty much universal across my rifles. When I use an unaltered M70 i have at 4 lbs, it feels like I'm pushing anvils, but that's just subjective, I'm sure.

    Good luck, should be a piece of cake.

    Comment


    • #3
      PH: I can only give you a dated reply as it's been decades since I swapped triggers. I much preferred Jewel over Timney's at the time because I could set a Rem or Winchester factory trigger pretty close to a Timney. There is a caveat however. I only used Jewels on my varmint rifles, which I only shot on beautiful days because back then they had a reputation for not liking inclement weather or debris. Shilen made a great "hunters trigger" as well. Don't know about 2021. Just my thoughts. If you do go low, around 2-2-1/2 lbs, practice much. I have seen unpracticed fingers do near catastrophic stuff with a light trigger. Some scary moments.

      Comment


      • #4
        When my son was gifted his 788 it had an unsafe factory trigger, the gun would fire most times the safety was released and often upon closing the bolt. The gentleman wanted to have the sear repaired first but I told him I'd replace the trigger with a Timney instead as I figured it would be an upgrade for about the same cost and it was well worth me making the investment rather than him.

        I'd ordered the trigger ahead of time and somewhere along the way decided to install it in my .22-250 and use that trigger in the .222. Wasn't difficult at all but I did need to do a hair bit of inletting on the Boyd's stock for the saftey to clear. It was all well and good until I went to swap the factory triggers in the .222. Turns out the two receivers are machined differently and the factory triggers are not the same set up. Fortunately the Timney works in both, it ended up in the .222 and the original ..22-250 trigger went back in my gun.

        I've also installed a Timney in my 700. I like the triggers but may just go with a Trigger Tech if I decide to swap the X-Mark Pro in my daughter's .243 m700. She probably wouldn't notice but the pull seems inconsistent on that one. TT sems to be favored when the question comes up online.


        Edit; One other thing PH, the original trigger on my .22-250 locks the bolt when the safety is on, I never checked the .222 beforehand but the Timney doesn’t lock the bolt on it. Just something to be aware of.
        Last edited by fitch270; 04-06-2021, 12:43 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Guys, thanks for the feedback.

          I'll initially leave mine at 4lbs and see how well it does. Even that will be a great improvement over the factory 5.5lbs. I don't want to go too light because I use a variety of rifles during a season and in the heat of the moment may forget if this one has a light pull.

          Fitch, the factory trigger on my 788 does not lock the bolt when on SAFE. The problem I've had is inadvertently sliding it to FIRE when it gets bumped. That has happened a lot over the years and I've made a habit of often checking the position while hunting. It resulted in an accidental discharge one time when I'd been carrying the 788 slung from my left shoulder. PigHuntress and I were walking back to our vehicle from a morning hunt and I'd been pulling the deer cart with my right hand. We'd stopped to rest and I launched a round into the sky while taking the rifle from my shoulder. That shook me up pretty badly. Tightening the slider screw creates more tension but I still don't feel comfortable with it.

          I've read of others having to inlet Boyd's stocks with the Timney installation. I plan to use my Dremel instead of files. That laminate on the Boyd's looks tough. Will be a good opportunity to play dentist

          Comment


          • #6
            Can you make a target of before and after the trigger swap. I would like to see the gain in accuracy.

            My buddy that shoots ground hogs has a trigger in the oz range. He puts one finger before the trigger and the corresponding thumb behind the guard. Shoots them out to 5 or 6 hundred yds if the grass is not too high. 6mm Ruger 77

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
              Can you make a target of before and after the trigger swap. I would like to see the gain in accuracy.

              My buddy that shoots ground hogs has a trigger in the oz range. He puts one finger before the trigger and the corresponding thumb behind the guard. Shoots them out to 5 or 6 hundred yds if the grass is not too high. 6mm Ruger 77
              Jim, here's some targets from last summer with the factory trigger. The scope is a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 and the magnification was at 10x. This was off a bipod on a concrete bench. As you can see, the groups were 5/8 to 7/8 inches center-to-center. I'm not the best shot and don't know if I'm capable of doing better. Perhaps the trigger change will make some difference in the field when I may be rushed to get off a shot.


              Rem 788 2020_08_18 01r.jpg
              Rem 788 2020_08_18 02r.jpg
              Rem 788 2020_08_18 03r.jpg

              Comment


              • #8
                That is some darn good shooting. Is it a .308 ? After you practice a little with the new trigger see what it will do.
                Fantastic load to.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  That is some darn good shooting. Is it a .308 ? After you practice a little with the new trigger see what it will do.
                  Fantastic load to.
                  Thanks! Yep, it's a .308 Win and that's the best groups I've ever had with it. That rifle has been in my hands more than any other and with it I've taken many deer and pigs.

                  I did a couple of things differently that day at the range. 1st, I used a bipod for front support instead of bags and that seemed more stable. 2nd, the breech was left open and the barrel allowed to cool between three-shot strings.

                  That load was dropped short and then trickled up to the target weight. The chronograph registered a smaller standard deviation in velocity with that method vs just dropping the charges volumetrically.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

                    Thanks! Yep, it's a .308 Win and that's the best groups I've ever had with it. That rifle has been in my hands more than any other and with it I've taken many deer and pigs.

                    I did a couple of things differently that day at the range. 1st, I used a bipod for front support instead of bags and that seemed more stable. 2nd, the breech was left open and the barrel allowed to cool between three-shot strings.

                    That load was dropped short and then trickled up to the target weight. The chronograph registered a smaller standard deviation in velocity with that method vs just dropping the charges volumetrically.

                    I was hunting in NY by Eagle Bay and we decided to have lunch by Mountain Pond just off Big Moose Road. The lower shore was a big flat rock that went down to the water. good place to lunch and then take a nap. Anyway we decided to take a shot at a huge (as big as a house) bolder on the north shore of the pond. I had my Rem Big 7. First shot was at waters edge - about 700yds. Second went boom- smack right in the center of the rock. Dave took his 788 .308 which he sighted in by looking through the bore and bang, and a huge geyser shot up about half way down. Laughed so hard.
                    He bought the 788 when a dept store went out of business. I think he paid $49.95. He went back for another but they
                    were gone.
                    He did lose the magazine by not slapping it in place to catch.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post


                      I was hunting in NY by Eagle Bay and we decided to have lunch by Mountain Pond just off Big Moose Road. The lower shore was a big flat rock that went down to the water. good place to lunch and then take a nap. Anyway we decided to take a shot at a huge (as big as a house) bolder on the north shore of the pond. I had my Rem Big 7. First shot was at waters edge - about 700yds. Second went boom- smack right in the center of the rock. Dave took his 788 .308 which he sighted in by looking through the bore and bang, and a huge geyser shot up about half way down. Laughed so hard.
                      He bought the 788 when a dept store went out of business. I think he paid $49.95. He went back for another but they
                      were gone.
                      He did lose the magazine by not slapping it in place to catch.
                      Yep, there's a big difference between the 7mm Mag and the .308 Win. My longest shot with the 788 was dropping a deer at 615 paces, but it was by good luck instead of any skill on my part. I've only had one other shot over 200 yards and most are less than 80. I'm getting back into a lease this coming season and could have up to 250 yard opportunities.

                      My rifle was made in 1974 and I bought it in 1994 for $225 from the original owner. Those magazines are hard to find so I've got two. One is marked ".308" and the other "7mm-08".

                      Comment

                      Welcome!

                      Collapse

                      Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                      If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                      And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                      Right Rail 1 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Top Active Users

                      Collapse

                      There are no top active users.

                      Right Rail 2 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Latest Topics

                      Collapse

                      • Returned Leupold vx2 follow through-
                        by dewman
                        Received my 2001 Leupold vx2 back from them today. Thankfully my scope was repaired instead of substituting. My lenses look amazing, can't believe they...
                        10-26-2021, 02:36 PM
                      • Bee hive construction
                        by FirstBubba
                        So far, I've built a "bee vacuum" and a "swarm trap".
                        When I deploy the trap this spring, I'll need at least one hive....I hope!...
                        10-24-2021, 10:45 PM
                      • He’s in
                        by fitch270
                        The Kid got his acceptance letter yesterday from the college he’s mainly interested in. Including a decent scholarship right off the top. Still another...
                        10-24-2021, 07:07 PM
                      • 280AI Draws First Blood
                        by Ernie
                        BCG 280 Ackley Improved XP-100. This custom XP-100 shoots so good, and everyone who has shot it loves it.
                        I finally was able to draw first blood...
                        10-23-2021, 04:27 PM
                      • Preserving meat, fish and produce.
                        by FirstBubba
                        This subject was broached as a tangent to another thread on F&S!

                        Do you process your own game?

                        What preservation methods...
                        10-21-2021, 09:21 PM

                      Right Rail 3 Ad

                      Collapse

                      Footer Ad Widget

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X