Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6,5CM article

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 6,5CM article

    So, this "expert" talks about all cartridges that are better than the 6.5CM, which I do not own, or plan to owm. But, this guy includes long action cartidges such as the 270, which is apples to oranges. And then, he never compares the 7mm-08. duhhhhhh. As I said, I dod not own a 6,5 CM, but, I know a lot of people who do own one. The 6.5 CM lends it self to accuracy regardless of the rifle or cartidge. I don't know why, but the earth moon and stars lined up when this cartridge was developed. He failed to include that in his article, he alos talked about the 6.5 CM being mild recoil, but then again, he included hard recoiling rifles. Seriously?

    Why does OL not allow a comment section on each of their articles? I think they use to.

    Hey OL, don't publish anymore articles by that "expert".

  • #2
    You speak the truth. They used to allow comment, I've commented a bunch myself, why they don't now baffles me. I too am a bit of a 7mm-08 fan. I will admit though that if I already wasn't the 6.5 cm would intrigue me enough to try. With all the hype a new inexperienced shooter would consider it a safe bet and he would be happy if he did go that route. You are also right when you say most articles are skewed, as you say apples to oranges.
    Glad to have your input, looking forward to you joining in any post on here that interests you.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Chick View Post
      So, this "expert" talks about all cartridges that are better than the 6.5CM, which I do not own, or plan to owm. But, this guy includes long action cartidges such as the 270, which is apples to oranges. And then, he never compares the 7mm-08. duhhhhhh. As I said, I dod not own a 6,5 CM, but, I know a lot of people who do own one. The 6.5 CM lends it self to accuracy regardless of the rifle or cartidge. I don't know why, but the earth moon and stars lined up when this cartridge was developed. He failed to include that in his article, he alos talked about the 6.5 CM being mild recoil, but then again, he included hard recoiling rifles. Seriously?

      Why does OL not allow a comment section on each of their articles? I think they use to.

      Hey OL, don't publish anymore articles by that "expert".
      6.5 CM?
      There are also tons of new cartridges out there, especially for the AR platform, that have popped up over the last ten years.
      Sadly, a lot of writers STILL want to go back to the old ".270 vs.. 30-06" argument of yestercentury! LOL!

      One of the nicest little cartridges to come out of the "AR Age" had been the 6.8mm Rem SPC.....!
      Not one gun writer will spend a nano second on it.
      That's just our "gun world"!
      New cartridges are developed, gather a contingency of followers then fade into the background.

      But that's alright too! Leaves more 6.8mm brass and ammo for me! LOL!

      Welcome aboard "Chick"! Hang around!
      A bunch of cantankerous old farts, but we do have fun! LOL!

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm not seeing the article mentioned, got a link?

        As a .270 fan and dad to an accomplished teen hunter I started with a 7mm-08 I'll just say that the three have overlap but there's enough difference to matter in some regards. Typically they shoot similar weight bullets but the 7-08 has an advantage in being able to handle heavier options and the .270 actually beats the Creed's ballistics out to 500 yards or so. Ok, the.270 is a long action, so? Opinions may vary but the numbers don't lie. I don't notice much difference in recoil between the .270 and 7mm-08 either. Much of that comes down to individual rifles and loads.


        Part of what aligned the stars with the 6.5 Creedmoor was that it was developed as a total platform, not just a cartridge. COL, twist rates, BC's and recoil all played roles in its creation. The idea was to optimize for competitive long range shooting, just turned out to work very well for hunting also.


        Whatever trips your trigger, run it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Is this the article?

          The 6.5 Creedmoor is Not the Ultimate Super Cartridge | Outdoor Life

          On a whim, I bought a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor and have hunted with it. It's very accurate and drops deer and pigs just as well as my .308 Win. If forced to choose only one, I probably would stick with the .308 Win simply for sentimental reasons.

          There's not a thing wrong with the 6.5 CM and I've grown tired of people talking down the cartridge.

          However, gun writers are constantly looking for something to write about that will get more readers, site visits, and clicks. Put "6.5" in the title of an article and you'll immediately generate interest from both fans and detractors. Win-Win

          Comment


          • #6
            I have noticed that the killing power of my 30-06's has drastically decreased since the advent of the 6.5 Creedmoor. Guess I need to get with the times.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
              I have noticed that the killing power of my 30-06's has drastically decreased since the advent of the 6.5 Creedmoor. Guess I need to get with the times.
              Well, I would say the need for a .30-06 has decreased. Dead is dead and a double lung shot from either cartridge should produce the same results.

              Comment


              • #8
                Well, it was a joke.

                Caliber discussions are for selling rifles anyway. Most big game rifles are enough, at least for deer, no matter what you think about the "with today's bullets" thing. (Partitions were invented in 1948, I think) So it's all good.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                  Well, it was a joke.

                  Caliber discussions are for selling rifles anyway. Most big game rifles are enough, at least for deer, no matter what you think about the "with today's bullets" thing. (Partitions were invented in 1948, I think) So it's all good.
                  I hear ya! I probably should have bought a .30-06 bolt-action back in the early 90's and just stayed with that. Definitely didn't need the 6.5 Creedmoor.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The 6.5 creed is just a SA cartridge, with a specific performance level...Nothing more, nothing less.
                    There is smaller and slower and there is bigger and faster.
                    Make your choices and be happy with it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                      The 6.5 creed is just a SA cartridge, with a specific performance level...Nothing more, nothing less.
                      There is smaller and slower and there is bigger and faster.
                      Make your choices and be happy with it.
                      Indeed. I've recently purchased dies, brass, and bullets for the 6.5 CM so it's not going down the road. Right now it's the only bolt action I've got that's threaded for my suppressor.

                      I've also just ordered a linear muzzle brake that supposedly directs the blast away downrange. When it gets here, I'll report how well it does on the 6.5 CM

                      Last edited by PigHunter; 03-21-2021, 09:33 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        amflyer, have you had that '06 tested for COVID-19?

                        You shameless heretic, I bet you never put a mask on it last fall! You heatheren!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

                          Indeed. I've recently purchased dies, brass, and bullets for the 6.5 CM so it's not going down the road. Right now it's the only bolt action I've got that's threaded for my suppressor.

                          I've also just ordered a linear muzzle brake that supposedly directs the blast away downrange. When it gets here, I'll report how well it does on the 6.5 CM

                          All my guns direct the blast downrange because I have them all fitted with barrels. Sorry, little Sunday morning smartass. Could not help myself.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by dewman View Post

                            All my guns direct the blast downrange because I have them all fitted with barrels. Sorry, little Sunday morning smartass. Could not help myself.
                            That's ok, I live with a smartass and am hardened to it

                            Here's a sound test. Looks to be about a 3 to 4 dB reduction for the shooter.

                            Comment

                            Welcome!

                            Collapse

                            Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                            If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                            And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                            Right Rail 1 Ad

                            Collapse

                            Top Active Users

                            Collapse

                            There are no top active users.

                            Right Rail 2 Ad

                            Collapse

                            Latest Topics

                            Collapse

                            • Returned Leupold vx2 follow through-
                              by dewman
                              Received my 2001 Leupold vx2 back from them today. Thankfully my scope was repaired instead of substituting. My lenses look amazing, can't believe they...
                              10-26-2021, 02:36 PM
                            • Bee hive construction
                              by FirstBubba
                              So far, I've built a "bee vacuum" and a "swarm trap".
                              When I deploy the trap this spring, I'll need at least one hive....I hope!...
                              10-24-2021, 10:45 PM
                            • He’s in
                              by fitch270
                              The Kid got his acceptance letter yesterday from the college he’s mainly interested in. Including a decent scholarship right off the top. Still another...
                              10-24-2021, 07:07 PM
                            • 280AI Draws First Blood
                              by Ernie
                              BCG 280 Ackley Improved XP-100. This custom XP-100 shoots so good, and everyone who has shot it loves it.
                              I finally was able to draw first blood...
                              10-23-2021, 04:27 PM
                            • Preserving meat, fish and produce.
                              by FirstBubba
                              This subject was broached as a tangent to another thread on F&S!

                              Do you process your own game?

                              What preservation methods...
                              10-21-2021, 09:21 PM

                            Right Rail 3 Ad

                            Collapse

                            Footer Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X