Bullets in ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullets in ice

In these bored cold weather days we used to fill 5 gallon buckets with water then set them outside to hard freeze. When they had we would set them on their side top facing us at either 50 or 100 yds. Level with the bore so the bullet will enter straight when we shot them. Dig out the bullet then fill the cavity with water and let it re freeze to use again. Haven't done it myself in years because I use the same bullets so they've already been tested but brother called me last night and said 4 of them were at work doing it yesterday. Made some pretty mushrooms, some indication of smack as well. Do any of you ever do this?

Jim, I've never heard of testing bullets in ice. That would be fun but not very informative to understand bullet effectiveness on animals. Ice is just too hard of a material. I can't think of a real world application.

But your question caused me to find the following article from Handguns magazine. They mention using jugs of water or water soaked newspaper.

Test Your Bullets Before You Go Hunting (handgunsmag.com)

"
    The ultimate test of any bullet is how it performs on game. The main advantage of testing bullets before you go hunting is to eliminate bullets that are clearly not suited to the task. If a bullet will not expand in water jugs or wet newspaper at a given velocity, it likely will not expand in game at that velocity. Likewise, if the bullet breaks apart in these substances it will almost surely break up on game, especially if bone is hit."

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
      In these bored cold weather days we used to fill 5 gallon buckets with water then set them outside to hard freeze. When they had we would set them on their side top facing us at either 50 or 100 yds. Level with the bore so the bullet will enter straight when we shot them. Dig out the bullet then fill the cavity with water and let it re freeze to use again. Haven't done it myself in years because I use the same bullets so they've already been tested but brother called me last night and said 4 of them were at work doing it yesterday. Made some pretty mushrooms, some indication of smack as well. Do any of you ever do this?
      No, but when teaching my kids to shoot, I would often freeze milk jugs of water for them to shoot.
      Nothing beats the smile on a 8 year olds face when they finally succeed in making a milk jug explode! 😀!

Comment

Using ice blocks to catch bullets is a new one on me. The bucket must keep the ice and bullet contained, I’d like to see the impact in slow-mo.

I’ve never had much interest in tannerite but suddenly a giant snowman rigged up seems like a great idea. Could be the weather getting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          Using ice blocks to catch bullets is a new one on me. The bucket must keep the ice and bullet contained, I’d like to see the impact in slow-mo.

I’ve never had much interest in tannerite but suddenly a giant snowman rigged up seems like a great idea. Could be the weather getting to me.
          Cabin fever certainly makes Tannerite look like fun. Big suprise! It is. When used while under the influence, it weeds out the dumb ones. Other times it's great entertainment. Follow the directions. That will keep you from being one of the dumb ones.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post

Cabin fever certainly makes Tannerite look like fun. Big suprise! It is. When used while under the influence, it weeds out the dumb ones. Other times it's great entertainment. Follow the directions. That will keep you from being one of the dumb ones.
            The bullet must really flatten out. Is there any penetration with the .22lr ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I'm confused. Never bothered to look for the bullet after setting off Tannerite.

Comment

Originally posted by franchi20 View Post

I'm confused. Never bothered to look for the bullet after setting off Tannerite.
                the post is for Dewman

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Actually you get a perfect mushroom. Rifling equally sharp and defined. Even a .22 short will look poster child perfect. You have to hit straight on so as to not over flatten one side or the other. There will be a cyst anywhere from nickle size to tennis ball around the bullet. Reminds me a lot of bullets and arrow heads we used to find dressing deer at my uncles deer processing facility in Michigan.
                  Interesting footnote: Remington's golden .22 seldom mushroomed, instead it might be bent with an ever so slightly bulge at the tip. Poachers preferred them because it was said they were the only .22 that would shoot thru and thru on a deers head every time from any angle.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

As a kid, my dad always took the Dallas Morning News.
                    I would take a discarded paper, roll it up and bind it with string.
                    Then I would soak it overnight in the horse water trough.
                    A water soaked Dallas Morning News, from end to end, would stop a .30-30 Win bullet.
                    Other than the rifling striations, there was no bullet deformation.
                    Last edited by FirstBubba; 02-19-2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post

Actually you get a perfect mushroom. Rifling equally sharp and defined. Even a .22 short will look poster child perfect. You have to hit straight on so as to not over flatten one side or the other. There will be a cyst anywhere from nickle size to tennis ball around the bullet. Reminds me a lot of bullets and arrow heads we used to find dressing deer at my uncles deer processing facility in Michigan.
                      Interesting footnote: Remington's golden .22 seldom mushroomed, instead it might be bent with an ever so slightly bulge at the tip. Poachers preferred them because it was said they were the only .22 that would shoot thru and thru on a deers head every time from any angle.
                      That is interesting about the Golden bullet. The average shooter would probably never know that. Would be a good squirrel round as well. I shot so many Remington Standard Velocity in competition they wound up being my load for everything.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ammo/guns: the other side of the coin
                        by dewman
                        All of you know my latest 7mm-08. Well, I had a fella today at the little gun store I loiter at offer me $1,000 for it and the scope. Offered $40 a box...
                        03-02-2021, 09:36 PM
                      • Ammunition vs. components.
                        by Red Angus
                        Throughout the course of my daily duties, questions occasionally form in my mind as I contemplate various matters and this question seemed to be a likely...
                        03-02-2021, 11:03 AM
                      • Deer population
                        by Red Angus
                        Over evening last weekend, Feb. 20-21, my wife and I counted 55 deer in the 2-1/2 miles before we got home. Groups ranged in size from 5 to 25. Such numbers...
                        03-01-2021, 05:53 PM
                      • Nice find poochie!
                        by FirstBubba
                        The kid's pup headed to the backyard after breakfast.
                        THIS is what she found.

No longer viable due to traumatic head injuri...
                        02-28-2021, 11:32 AM
                      • 6.8 Western
                        by jhjimbo
                        Really ? I just took a quick glance at the 6.8 and on paper it sure looks like my Remington 7mmMag. Not a whiskers difference. I have heard some complain...
                        02-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X