.22 ammo “test”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .22 ammo “test”

We talked about this the other day, after shooting our match tonight I took a few minutes to try out 4 of the ammo makes we’ve been using the past couple years, all common stuff. Usually.....

Anyway, it wasn’t a scientifically controlled test and was an extremely small sample size but it absolutely confirmed for me what I’d been noticing all along.

All four of us have been using the CCI ammo the past several weeks. Before that I’d used the Aguila S-E H-V stuff and my wife the Fed A-M. Three match targets plus a warmup means 40 shots, which I didn’t have enough of the latter two for but had a handful left over.

Deal was I ran a bore snake before shooting the first group with the CCI and then in between each type just to try and keep it as even as possible. I’ll post the entire target here then follow with some closeups and explanations.

A2F7C1F2-3048-4AA9-8DED-F3DE250EC42A.jpeg 772854B0-1B85-4E94-9C43-A3A37F212C9B.jpeg You’ll notice a flier on both the Auto Match stuff and the Rem Golden Bullets. Both were the first shot after running the snake down the bore one pass. Not exactly a deep cleaning but obviously enough to affect the group. Otherwise the A-M wasn’t bad. The Rem GB’s are noticeably spread out more than the others.

The Aguila shot the best as I expected. This stuff works well in my gun but does run a little dirty. If I don’t keep the chamber cleaned out every couple hundred rounds I get extraction issues. Like stuck cases that I have to knock out. No big deal, one pass with the snake snd it’s good to go.

CCI’s were pretty good as well, and is what the gun is sighted in with right now. If I can’t find Aguila I hope I can get this again.

Odd that the CCI and Aguila didn’t have clean bore fliers. Not that it matters for match shooting but something I need to try again.

Some pics with the mics. Left the first shot fliers out intentionally.

Comment

The other two......

A3CB2A3D-D917-48A1-97A8-18F9D45C0E48.jpeg F4185EE7-B5E5-40D0-ADB4-498CAC664A77.jpeg

Comment

Finally, this was inside at fifty feet, just about 17 yards. I’d like to see what this gun will do at 25 and 50 yards but haven’t ever shot it outside. Used a front rest with my left hand supporting the rear of the stock, Scope is an Athlon Argos HMR 2-12x42 with side focus set at 12x.

Like we talked about last week, the Rem stuff is certainly minute of rodent but for scores is a bit of a handicap with this particular rifle. I’d definitely shoot it if I didn’t have other options.

edit: Duh, all were five shot groups. The CCI being in a cluster and the Aguila in one hole.
        Last edited by fitch270; 01-24-2021, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I've found over all CCI standard velocity.(1050) the most consistently accurate in all platforms. A sleeper has been cheap Remington thunderbolts. Winchester Powerpoints(hp) and Remington's golden bullet (sp) shoot well enough for squirrels to 50yds FROM MY GUNS. Of course others may have different results. I shoot the Thunderbolts and Powerpoints 90% of the time because I buy them in bulk packs of 500 and 550 respectively. Federal gold match is lights out in my 511-x but I haven't seen them for sale round here in a couple years. I think PH did some in depth testing of 22 also, or maybe it was cd2 ?

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            I've found over all CCI standard velocity.(1050) the most consistently accurate in all platforms. A sleeper has been cheap Remington thunderbolts. Winchester Powerpoints(hp) and Remington's golden bullet (sp) shoot well enough for squirrels to 50yds FROM MY GUNS. Of course others may have different results. I shoot the Thunderbolts and Powerpoints 90% of the time because I buy them in bulk packs of 500 and 550 respectively. Federal gold match is lights out in my 511-x but I haven't seen them for sale round here in a couple years. I think PH did some in depth testing of 22 also, or maybe it was cd2 ?
            What firearms ?

I have mentioned before I use Remington Standard Velocity 40gr .22's. That is what I used for competition when I was in school. I shot my Browning Challenger and have a high record of 298. I think we used the B-5 targets. 10 rounds slow, 10 timed and 10 rapid fire all off hand at 25yds. I also use my Browning for squirrels when my rifle would get my limit too fast - faster than the time it took me to get to my spot. outdoor life 2 008.JPG

Comment

JHJ: my 2 Ruger mk4's and my 511-x are the only .22's I shoot anymore, the rest gathering dust. Remington golden bullets and thunderbolts are the only Remington brand .22 I ever come across around here, no target, no shorts etc. I know they make them, I just haven't seen them in years. Another popular round MIA here seems to be CCI mini-mags. Go figure right?

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                JHJ: my 2 Ruger mk4's and my 511-x are the only .22's I shoot anymore, the rest gathering dust. Remington golden bullets and thunderbolts are the only Remington brand .22 I ever come across around here, no target, no shorts etc. I know they make them, I just haven't seen them in years. Another popular round MIA here seems to be CCI mini-mags. Go figure right?
                I have not had to buy any .22 in some time but I see all kinds at a couple of big Flea Markets I go to. In years past I never had much luck with .22's other than Remington. The high speed ones with the reduced weight bullet were the worst in my guns. I think guys clear out houses for Estates or go to auctions and take things to the Flea Markets. Everything from ammo to guns and re-loading things show up. I go on weekends early in the AM and can check each market in an hour or so. .

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Ammo/guns: the other side of the coin
                  by dewman
                  All of you know my latest 7mm-08. Well, I had a fella today at the little gun store I loiter at offer me $1,000 for it and the scope. Offered $40 a box...
                  03-02-2021, 09:36 PM
                • Ammunition vs. components.
                  by Red Angus
                  Throughout the course of my daily duties, questions occasionally form in my mind as I contemplate various matters and this question seemed to be a likely...
                  03-02-2021, 11:03 AM
                • Deer population
                  by Red Angus
                  Over evening last weekend, Feb. 20-21, my wife and I counted 55 deer in the 2-1/2 miles before we got home. Groups ranged in size from 5 to 25. Such numbers...
                  03-01-2021, 05:53 PM
                • Nice find poochie!
                  by FirstBubba
                  The kid's pup headed to the backyard after breakfast.
                  THIS is what she found.

No longer viable due to traumatic head injuri...
                  02-28-2021, 11:32 AM
                • 6.8 Western
                  by jhjimbo
                  Really ? I just took a quick glance at the 6.8 and on paper it sure looks like my Remington 7mmMag. Not a whiskers difference. I have heard some complain...
                  02-24-2021, 07:37 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X