bedding on new rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bedding on new rifle

Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells, and used a couple laters of Kiwi polish.

Put too much Devcon in the lug area, and spent some frantic time cleaning out the extra that oozed into the bolt lug area. Dummy.

Feeling about a 20% chance of me having trouble removing the barreled action and stock. Makes for a fitful night.

Good luck, if it fights you let us know how you deal with it. Thinking about trying it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
      Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells, and used a couple laters of Kiwi polish.

Put too much Devcon in the lug area, and spent some frantic time cleaning out the extra that oozed into the bolt lug area. Dummy.

Feeling about a 20% chance of me having trouble removing the barreled action and stock. Makes for a fitful night.
      There are some special stock screws that help tap the action out.

Comment

It separated OK. It was a bit more snug than when using the other release agent. Had about a minute of concern. This the the 5th bedding job on Winchester M70 actions. The other 3 were all on Savages. With one exception, they aren't the super clean pretty jobs that you see on the forums (with the action removed) but they are 100% functional and look just fine when assembled.

The main reason for this one was to center the barrel and get it floated. That worked out very nicely. I'll let it finish cure for another day or so, then torque down the action screws and go give it a try.

Comment

Remington 700 165gr Nosler.jpg Remington 700 165gr Nosler.jpg
          Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
          It separated OK. It was a bit more snug than when using the other release agent. Had about a minute of concern. This the the 5th bedding job on Winchester M70 actions. The other 3 were all on Savages. With one exception, they aren't the super clean pretty jobs that you see on the forums (with the action removed) but they are 100% functional and look just fine when assembled.
          ​​​
          The main reason for this one was to center the barrel and get it floated. That worked out very nicely. I'll let it finish cure for another day or so, then torque down the action screws and go give it a try.
          I have a Remington 700 BDL 30-06 1980's vintage and when in it's original wood stock the barrel was hard up against the wood about 2/3 of the way down. The rifle is/was a tack driver. It now is in a Bell&Carlson stock and is free of the stock and it still shoots less than MOA.
          Pic is of 100yd target off hand, rapid fire.
          Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-25-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
            the barrel was hard up against the wood about 2/3 of the way down. The rifle is/was a tack driver. It now is in a Bell&Carlson stock and is free of the stock and it still shoots less than MOA.
            Who cares about accuracy? No self-respecting anal-retentive rifleman ever leaves the stock touching the barrel. How do you even look at yourself in the mirror at night? Now, excuse me, I have to go count the stairs and make sure the total is a prime number.

Comment

I don't float any of mine. I did glass bed and free float a 700 BDL 7Rmag once and it didn't change accuracy any at all. To each their own I guess. My 700 mtn isn't free floated either. It does 5/16ths with factory. I remember reading that skinny barrels benefitted from front contact.
              Last edited by dewman; 09-25-2020, 01:19 PM.

Comment

All kidding aside, I didn't replace the bedding to make it free floated (it already sorta was) or improve accuracy. The rear tang was wood-borne and the front was Winchester's crappy unknown bedding material, and the rifle was bedded a bit crooked.I get just as much of a kick out of working on rifles as I do shooting them. Should be much more stable now and solid now that the action fits well.

Comment

I will never argue my way is the best way, only that I'm happy with myself. Sounds like that's where you are with yours. It's a warm fuzzy feeling when you're holding any gun and feeling complete contentment with how it is set up. Now to the range Amflyer!

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                    I don't float any of mine. I did glass bed and free float a 700 BDL 7Rmag once and it didn't change accuracy any at all. To each their own I guess. My 700 mtn isn't free floated either. It does 5/16ths with factory. I remember reading that skinny barrels benefitted from front contact.
                    To me it does not matter about bedding, other than the stock will hold the recoil. What matters is after the barrel does it's thing, that the muzzle winds up in exactly the same place every shot when the bullet leaves the muzzle. Point of impact can be corrected with sights or scope. Ever notice when you change the rest at the bench the POI changes. What you are doing is changing the position of the muzzle at the millisecond the bullet leaves the muzzle. Same effect a crown has that is a little off. Does not matter as long as the bullet is affected the same way each time it passes the crown. Consistency counts.

Comment

Pat weren't normal. Had a pre-'64 M70 in .270 Win.
                      Out of the blue, he decided he wanted a thumbhole stock and wanted to DIY it.
                      With a semi inlet Rhinehart-Fagen thumbhole and an Accraglass kit he set to work.
                      The inlet went superbly and everything fit nicely.
                      Then came the bedding. 😖🤬!
                      After about a week, Pat came in the shop, ordered another stock and told us the story.
                      Accraglass is "notorious" for being unforgiving of sloppy "release agent" application!
                      He literally removed the stock with a hatchet!
                      This time, he bought the fully inlet stock.
                      Last time I saw the rifle, he still had not put any kind of finish on the stock. Just bare wood! LOL!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards
                        by Ernie
                        Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Yesterday, 10:06 AM
                      • Outdoor Life archives
                        by Scott123
                        Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                        10-23-2020, 11:23 PM
                      • Blade Stain
                        by jhjimbo
                        Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                        10-23-2020, 11:40 AM
                      • Home Defense
                        by jhjimbo
                        If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                        10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                      • Pay it forward
                        by fitch270
                        I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                        10-18-2020, 01:34 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X