Spur of the moment rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spur of the moment rifle

I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze might have left some on the shelf.

I stopped by the used rifle rack on the way back.

O-Ho; I see jeweled bolt and polished blue, walnut stock and open sights…$549.

I picked up the 70-80’s era Winchester M70 XTR in 270, (a cartridge that I’ve never owned) and checked it out. Appeared mostly unfired, judging by the barrel and bolt face.

I’m a big M70 fan, and although I really like the controlled-feed aesthetic, I’ve wanted one of these push feed XTR’s since I bought one for my soon to be Son-in-Law as a wedding gift, after he told me the story of how his Grandpa intended to hand down his rifle to him, but it got snatched by an Uncle instead when the Grandpa died. They are good-looking rifles, and pretty well made.

I had only looked at the rifle for a few minutes before handing it to an associate and telling him to “go put this in the back,” while I looked for some gunpowder.

They were out of IMR 4831.

When the associate gave me the computer-born 4473 form, he told me that “maybe you’ve filled one of these out before on paper?”

Just how old do you think I am, son?

Anyway, I adjusted the trigger, cleaned the copper out of the barrel, and mounted an old scope I had laying around. I need to re-bed the action and float the barrel, but I’m not in any hurry. Total impulse buy, but I am pleased anyway.

The picture is actually my S-I-L's rifle that I gave him, but it is identical to mine, other than caliber (his is a 7 mm Rem Mag.)
    Attached Files

Nice find. I've never owned a 270 nor a M70. Let us know how well it does when you finally get it to the range.

Comment

Nice rifle. I have an impulsive weakness for the classics myself. I recently dug my Winchester 770 out and plan to use it this fall. Leaving the barrel as though, no plans to float barrel. You mention old scope. What exactly would that be? Did the 270 come with a recoil pad? I added one on mine myself.

Comment

The scope I had was an Sightron 3-9. Very compact, so it fits well with the rear sight base. Yes, the XTR's have red Pachmyers installed from factory

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
          The scope I had was an Sightron 3-9. Very compact, so it fits well with the rear sight base. Yes, the XTR's have red Pachmyers installed from factory
          where is the picture ?

Never mind, I found it.

About the time they made this model they came out with a left hand. I looked at it but never pulled the trigger.
          Last edited by jhjimbo; 09-17-2020, 12:48 PM.

Comment

AMFLYER: You have a handload or factory load in mind?

Comment

Well, not really. I have some 25-06 brass that is new, and no rifle for it anymore. Will probably resize, and look at a medium-heavy (probably be a 140 grain) ahead of RL-19, of which I have 6 lbs of currently. How's that sound?

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                Well, not really. I have some 25-06 brass that is new, and no rifle for it anymore. Will probably resize, and look at a medium-heavy (probably be a 140 grain) ahead of RL-19, of which I have 6 lbs of currently. How's that sound?
                Honestly, no clue. Won't pretend I know anything about a 270.

Comment

Sounds like somebody has the Amflyer seal of approval. Congrats.

RL-19 has come up in my research of hand loading but haven't gotten there yet.

I typically use 130gr Ballistic Tips but last fall shot an 8pt with a140gr Accubond as that was what I'd sighted in with for our elk trip. I was surprised how much damage the bullet did, seemed like more than the BT's. Sample of one of course.

Comment

I've used Accubond s for a couple of animals. They do tend to get energetic at velocity.

Comment

Beautiful rifle, congrats. My model 70 shoots 150 gr. Sierra game kings One hole groups . Good luck with your fine new rifle.

Comment

Have you gotten the chance to shoot it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                          Have you gotten the chance to shoot it yet?
                          I have not. The barrel was not centered in the stock channel and was tight up against one side, which I knew when I bought it, so last weekend I took out the old lug bedding so I could re-bed the action. Still wasn't a passive fit, so I had to do some inletting to make it that way. Inletting black is messy but effective. Will bed it this weekend in Devcon. Or maybe tonight? That way I can give it a few days to harden and shoot it this weekend.

Comment

Congrats,’Flyer
                            impulse buys are often the best ones. I bought a vintage Savage 111 7x57 recently and have enjoyed playing with it for a potential deer rifle. I put a Sightron 3-9x42 SII on it that has survived all manner of hard recoiling magnums and still holds zero and tracks. I bought another one NIB off eBay as a spare. Happy Trails

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                              Congrats,’Flyer
                              impulse buys are often the best ones. I bought a vintage Savage 111 7x57 recently and have enjoyed playing with it for a potential deer rifle. I put a Sightron 3-9x42 SII on it that has survived all manner of hard recoiling magnums and still holds zero and tracks. I bought another one NIB off eBay as a spare. Happy Trails
                              My Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor was an impulse buy and it's worked out very well with Hornady's 143gr ELD-X. The 7x57 would have almost identical performance with Hornady's 150gr ELD-x

Here's an interesting article concerning that.
                              https://www.rifleshootermag.com/edit...formance/83658

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards
                                by Ernie
                                Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Yesterday, 10:06 AM
                              • Outdoor Life archives
                                by Scott123
                                Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                                10-23-2020, 11:23 PM
                              • Blade Stain
                                by jhjimbo
                                Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                                10-23-2020, 11:40 AM
                              • Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X