Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In hunting whitetail deer, is there a difference between 270 and 30.06?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In hunting whitetail deer, is there a difference between 270 and 30.06?

In hunting whitetail deer, is there a difference between 270 and 30.06?

you can get a heavier bullet weight for the 06, but both calibers will flatten any whitetail

Comment

There is not nearly the difference in the .30-06 and the .270 (or .27-06 as we call it) as there is between a heart/lung shot and a gut shot. Bullet weight is important, but shot placement is paramount.

Comment

I shoot a Remington 721 in .270 using Hornady 140 gr BTSP Light Magnum. It has a MV of 3100 fps. When I sight it in at 2.75" high at 100 yds I have a 6" point blank window out to 296 yds, dead on at 248 yds. If I were to sight it in dead on at 200 yds,the bullet would be -6.1" at 300 yds. At 300 yds the ft-lbs of energy is still 1982.
        By point blank window, I mean that from the time the bullet leaves the muzzle it will not be above or below the line of sight of my scope by more than 3" either way.
        With a .30-06 150 gr SP Light Magnum, your 6" point blank window is lessened by about 4o yds and your energy at 300 yds is down to 1754.
        The .270 round is much flatter shooting and delivers as much "knockdown" on a whitetail as a .30-06 at ranges most responsible hunters will try to take a deer at.
        By that I mean, most people who try to make 500-600 yd shots shouldn't. I don't and I was trained to do that in the Army, and had all this nice little hardware to wear to prove it. I still don't take shots on deer that are much beyond 300-350 yds. Too many variables can move the bullet in that time frame between leaving the muzzle of you gun and to impact with your target.
        Enough editorializing, Both rounds the .30-06 and the .270 are absolutely great deer rounds and when used properly will take any whitetail it connects with. I prefer the .270 because I don't have to figure for distance and elevation as much as I would for a .30-06.

Comment

Bo's right(as usual). The .270 is flater but I like the knock-down power of the 06' my self.

Comment

depends on the angles & elements i will be shoting at that day. but just for whitetail i would take a 270 bolt action with 4x-9x scope. Go out durnig this summer practice on getting the second shot of fast and pretty close to right on as you can. After the deer is hit with rifle bullet its in shock for a few split sec. before they can react if they live that long. But I seen deet do amazing things and some can take a bullet. Evrey time i got 2 rounds off quick in a good kill zone my success % went way up with 270!

Comment

depends on the angles & elements i will be shoting at that day. but just for whitetail i would take a 270 bolt action with 4x-9x scope. Go out durnig this summer practice on getting the second shot of fast and pretty close to right on as you can. After the deer is hit with rifle bullet its in shock for a few split sec. before they can react if they live that long. But I seen deet do amazing things and some can take a bullet. Evrey time i got 2 rounds off quick in a good kill zone my success % went way up with 270!

Comment

So the age old debate continues, which is better the .270 or the 30-06??? The non-answer to that question is they both do the same thing only differently. The 150 gr bullet is a common choice for deer with either caliber - the bullets weigh the same but one is .277 inches in diameter and the other is .308 of an inch, so one is a little fatter than the other. The deer would have hard time knowing which round was hitting him...they both are outstanding rounds in terms of killing power and accuracy. You may not know that the .270 was fathered by the older 30-06 ... neck down a 30-06 case and it is transformed into a .270.....so small wonder they have so much in common. They are two of the most widely used cartridges in the world, you can buy ammo pretty much anywhere. Which is the best deer round..flip a coin for the answer because you can't lose either way. Having said that there other things to consider. What other kind of hunting do you plan on doing? The .270 lives on a diet of relatively light bullets usually the 130 gr or 150 gr it can shoot flat way out there and has enough power (though marginal) for an elk in the right hands. The 30-06 offers a wider range of bullet weights but the main difference from the .270 is that it can fire much heavier bullets that are a better choice for larger game. A 30-06 loaded with 180 gr ammo can shoot any game animal on this continent...again in the right hands. Antelope at long range give me the .270 ... a moose in the bush I'll take a 30-06. for a big Alberta whitetail I'll take either gun. Just to confuse the issue, there is another round fathered by the old 30-06 that is a great deer round.. the 25-06 fires a .257 caliber bullet usually in the 100 to 120 gr weight at blistering speeds and great impact. Here comes the great part my friend, as you get older perhaps you will be able to afford all of the above. So many great guns and so little time...enjoy!

Comment

I have used a 270 for over 10 years now and I would not use anything else for deer. I had an old Remington 760 that I traded in for a new Tikka T3. It is a fantastic rifle. If you do alot of target shooting it won't destroy your shoulder either. The difference between a 30-06 and a 270 is so minor that it is purely a matter of preference and to argue about that makes no sence. If a shot from a 270 won't make a kill a 30-06 won't either. I will also be taking that 270 for moose this year to a zone where all you can shoot is bulls.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, folks. Ive got a Remington 700 .270 (the same model my dad and granddad have) and thought it wasnt much different from the 30.06. Didnt know for sure when the argument came up, so I asked y'all.

Comment

That's a good gun. If you do some research on the ballistics of the round you are using, by changing you zero distance you might be able to extend the range of a 6" point blank window.

Comment

Hello TIMT You have to compare apples to apples my friend. That 30-06 probably struck bone after traversing plenty of muscle causing it to make one very large hole in the shoulder. You can assume the .270 meeting the same resistance in the deer will be equally destructive. Either round may fare better with better constructed premium bullets, but when it comes to high velocity bullets striking bone you can expect some wicked results most of the time.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          Yesterday, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                          by dewman
                          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                        • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                          by Ernie
                          Any handgun hunters here?
                          Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                          10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
                        • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                          by Ernie
                          I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                          hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                          10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X