Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there anyone else out there who will fess up to owning a .270WSM? I bought it and was concerned with availability of ammo bu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anyone else out there who will fess up to owning a .270WSM? I bought it and was concerned with availability of ammo bu

Is there anyone else out there who will fess up to owning a .270WSM? I bought it and was concerned with availability of ammo but liked the compromise between the '06 and .270. I've fired one shot at a deer to date which travelled approximately 12" straight down after the shot. I'm wondering as to others experiences and concerns. Thanks all.

I feel so lonely. And cold.

Comment

I shoot a 270 and love it! Every deer I've shot dropped or went under 30 yards. My dad also has shot a ton of deer with the same rifle and only has had two run on him. Both deer were under 50 yards when they ran. How are the ballistics on a 270WSM (its a short mag right?)

Comment

Based on the Remington charts using 150 grain in the short magnum, 130 in the .270 and 180 in the 30-'06, the initial muzzle velocities are 3160,3060, and 2725 respectively and 2792,2510,2360 at 200 yards. Muzzle energy goes 3325,2702,2967, at 200 yards 2595,1818,2226. I'm in PA, so past 200 yards is almost academic to me. There aren't a lot of places where I can hunt and see 200 yards at the same time. Zeroed at 150 yards it drops 1" less than the .270 at 250 yards. The up front trade offs are that the difference in recoil compared to the remington 700 in '06 I was shooting is definitely noticable and ammo costs 50% more. I don't practice with that particular rifle much due to the cost of ammo. I put a pad on mine and now it's like getting hit with a nerf football instead of a bat, which has helped with my shooting.

Comment

I shoot a .270 wsm and I'm very happy with it. you do have to watch what bullets types you use given size of game and shooting distances. Some of the lighter lead core bonded loads will tend to fragement at shorter distances but the sectional loads do just fine. It definitely spits them out fast. Federal offers about the most options for ammo followed by Wichester and Remington.

Comment

Thanks Scott. I've been using the Winchester power points in 150 grain. The choice was more due to range testing with my particular rifle than terminal performance. In the one deer I've shot with it, which was quartering towards me at 50 yards, the bullet seemed to expand well without fragmenting. The cost for that was probably an extra 5 pounds of shoulder and neck meat that was completely bloodshot from the force of impact, but I would typically have expected to be able to cut closer to the entry wound with less loss. On the other side it didn't seem to spit lead fragments through the meat. Either way, I'll take that over a long track with the chance of being given the slip anytime. Public land is often tight around here. My father in law recovered a buck that travelled about 500 yards after the shot and shortly after he caught up to it two other hunters came up his trail who stated that they saw the blood and figured they'd see if they could grab the deer if he lost it. You don't want them to go far after a shot in any case and certainly never go to waste, but you'll lose a deer to either private property and a lack of permission to enter or the next guy in the woods if they walk.

Comment

I also have a .270WSM (Savage Weather Warrior) and love it!
              Take a look at the ballistics, it actually outperforms the '06 (comparing 130 grain .270WSM to 150/160 grain '06 - Remington ballistics chart).
              I've taken two caribou and an antelope with the .270WSM and all three dropped in their tracks....the caribou were at 100 yds and 291 yards and the antelope was at 225 yards (I use a range finder)...

I use Remington 130 grain PSP Core-Lok sighted in at zero at 200 yards..

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by nickd56 View Post
                I also have a .270WSM (Savage Weather Warrior) and love it!
                Take a look at the ballistics, it actually outperforms the '06 (comparing 130 grain .270WSM to 150/160 grain '06 - Remington ballistics chart).
                I've taken two caribou and an antelope with the .270WSM and all three dropped in their tracks....the caribou were at 100 yds and 291 yards and the antelope was at 225 yards (I use a range finder)...

I use Remington 130 grain PSP Core-Lok sighted in at zero at 200 yards..

Hope this helps!
                Now that's a good detailed report!

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                  I feel so lonely. And cold.
                  LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Nater7 View Post
                    I shoot a 270 and love it! Every deer I've shot dropped or went under 30 yards. My dad also has shot a ton of deer with the same rifle and only has had two run on him. Both deer were under 50 yards when they ran. How are the ballistics on a 270WSM (its a short mag right?)
                    I've never even shot a .270 but have a buddy that uses one.

Comment

Based on the Remington charts using 150 grain in the short magnum, 130 in the .270 and 180 in the 30-'06, the initial muzzle velocities are 3160,3060, and 2725 respectively and 2792,2510,2360 at 200 yards. Muzzle energy goes 3325,2702,2967, at 200 yards 2595,1818,2226. I'm in PA, so past 200 yards is almost academic to me. There aren't a lot of places where I can hunt and see 200 yards at the same time. Zeroed at 150 yards it drops 1" less than the .270 at 250 yards. The up front trade offs are that the difference in recoil compared to the remington 700 in '06 I was shooting is definitely noticable and ammo costs 50% more. I don't practice with that particular rifle much due to the cost of ammo. I put a pad on mine and now it's like getting hit with a nerf football instead of a bat, which has helped with my shooting.
                      I'd forgotten that you are in PA

Comment

Originally posted by scott1067 View Post
                        I shoot a .270 wsm and I'm very happy with it. you do have to watch what bullets types you use given size of game and shooting distances. Some of the lighter lead core bonded loads will tend to fragement at shorter distances but the sectional loads do just fine. It definitely spits them out fast. Federal offers about the most options for ammo followed by Wichester and Remington.
                        Good point about using light bullets

Comment

Thanks Scott. I've been using the Winchester power points in 150 grain. The choice was more due to range testing with my particular rifle than terminal performance. In the one deer I've shot with it, which was quartering towards me at 50 yards, the bullet seemed to expand well without fragmenting. The cost for that was probably an extra 5 pounds of shoulder and neck meat that was completely bloodshot from the force of impact, but I would typically have expected to be able to cut closer to the entry wound with less loss. On the other side it didn't seem to spit lead fragments through the meat. Either way, I'll take that over a long track with the chance of being given the slip anytime. Public land is often tight around here. My father in law recovered a buck that travelled about 500 yards after the shot and shortly after he caught up to it two other hunters came up his trail who stated that they saw the blood and figured they'd see if they could grab the deer if he lost it. You don't want them to go far after a shot in any case and certainly never go to waste, but you'll lose a deer to either private property and a lack of permission to enter or the next guy in the woods if they walk.
                          Wow! That's more people than I typically run into on public land in Alabama. Would love to hunt in Pa some day

Comment

Do you still have the rifle?

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                              Do you still have the rifle?
                              Looks like Midway still has a good selection of ammo for the 270 WSM

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                                by Scott123
                                Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                                Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                              • Blade Stain
                                by jhjimbo
                                Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                                Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                              • Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X