Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently purchased a new .300 Win. Mag. rifle. I always put several rounds through my shotguns before going hunting. Should I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently purchased a new .300 Win. Mag. rifle. I always put several rounds through my shotguns before going hunting. Should I

I recently purchased a new .300 Win. Mag. rifle. I always put several rounds through my shotguns before going hunting. Should I do the same with a rifle? If so, how many rounds does a rifle need before it's ready for the field? -Mike Carney, Ithaca, NY

As a very broad rule of thumb, rifles, especially bolt-action rifles, tend to become somewhat more accurate after they've fired several rounds. This can be explained in a number of ways, such as breaking in the barrel and "settling" the action and barrel in the stock. My own experience has shown that a hunting-class rifle gets about as good as it's going to get after 50 to 100 rounds. High-grade target rifles tend to blossom more quickly.

This doesn't mean, however, that a typical hunting rifle must be fired dozens of times before it's ready to be taken afield. Usually, the accuracy improvement from breaking it in is not all that significant or necessary. In virtually all examples, by the time a rifle has been sighted-in at the range it is ready for the hunt. More important is checking such hunting essentials as smooth and reliable feeding, proper operation of the safety and other mechanical details. Also, when breaking in a centerfire hunting rifle, be sure to let the barrel cool between test groups, checking to see if there is a tendency to shift point of aim as the barrel heats. In some instances sighting-in with a hot barrel can result in a false zero.

Comment

You should properly clean and zero a new rifle. Once that has been accomplished you can hunt with it as soon as you're confident in your bullet placement.

I do believe in "fouling" shots.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Anyone ever want a NA rifle?
        by Amflyer
        Wait...you don't know what a NA rifle is?

Not Available.

Remember when Winchester closed the doors, albeit for a brief time...
        04-20-2021, 04:37 PM
      • Defective
        by jhjimbo
        Is my computer broken ? I don't see many posts lately. Can't be Covid-19 ?
        04-19-2021, 12:56 AM
      • Big Brown Truck pulled in
        by fitch270
        I’ve been looking for these since last summer, finally became available so I bought two.

Stay tuned.......

04-16-2021, 05:28 PM
      • I've read...
        by Amflyer
        ...that Remington is now back to producing ammo, primers, etc at full capacity. Apparently they were shut down for quite a while. Hope this eases the...
        04-14-2021, 01:01 PM
      • I would rather.....
        by FirstBubba
        ......than take a COVID-19 shot.

Fill in the blank.

I would rather poke my eyes out with a hot nail than take a COVID-19 shot....
        04-13-2021, 09:51 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X