.22LR conversion kit for AR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .22LR conversion kit for AR

Have you used or know someone who has used a kit to convert a standard AR-15 to .22LR?

I'm considering purchasing a bolt-action .22lr with threaded barrel to use with my suppressor when it's finally approved. But, my local gun shop is having trouble finding what I want from his distributors.

So, that got me thinking a .22 conversion kit could be used in the meantime. What's your thoughts and experience with these.

"Just swap this drop in conversion with the bolt carrier group from your 5.56/.223 chambered rifle and you will be ready to shoot .22LR."

When I with through Basic training the M16 we used were converted to a 22lr. I'm sure if the M16 can be converted an AR should be as well.

Comment

Pig, I posted this over on F&S as well.

Pig,
      I've put a lot of rounds through a CMMG conversion kit in BCM, PSA, and a Mossberg upper (that I only trust for .22 plinking).

There's definitely a loss in accuracy vs a dedicated .22, but functionally it's about as reliable as any other .22lr auto I own. I use it more for cheap practice and maintaining familiarity with my social guns at less cost but using the exact same hardware. My only gripe is that the bolt release button is nonfunctional with mine as designed, but I think they have a version (and a patch) that will now work with the bolt release.
      One thing to note, you need a smooth rounded hammer, not a stepped hammer, to use that kit or it won't work. Which caused me some initial frustration with the Mossberg.

Comment

A follow up. You really do just swap the thing in for your BCG and insert the .22 mags. it's a nice little system.

Comment

Originally posted by rockhound View Post
          When I with through Basic training the M16 we used were converted to a 22lr. I'm sure if the M16 can be converted an AR should be as well.
          I enlisted 1960 we used the M~14 when i rotated out in 1964 the M~16 had not come incountry yet!

Comment

Treestand, when did the M-16 get issued to troops incountry? Was it in 1967?

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post

Pig,
              I've put a lot of rounds through a CMMG conversion kit in BCM, PSA, and a Mossberg upper (that I only trust for .22 plinking).

There's definitely a loss in accuracy vs a dedicated .22, but functionally it's about as reliable as any other .22lr auto I own. I use it more for cheap practice and maintaining familiarity with my social guns at less cost but using the exact same hardware. My only gripe is that the bolt release button is nonfunctional with mine as designed, but I think they have a version (and a patch) that will now work with the bolt release.
              One thing to note, you need a smooth rounded hammer, not a stepped hammer, to use that kit or it won't work. Which caused me some initial frustration with the Mossberg.
              Thanks JCarlin. What kind of accuracy have you gotten?

Comment

A follow up. You really do just swap the thing in for your BCG and insert the .22 mags. it's a nice little system.
                I saw that on the YouTube videos. Looks pretty simple.

Comment

Some time late in 1964 early 1965 the Big Red 1 or the 25th ID, things were happening so fast day to day it's was hard to tell.

Comment

Pig,

As I don't typically use this from a rest, it's more a scoot and real world position thing, and I didn't want to bs you, I just got in from taking some more careful shots.
                    Mossberg mmr 16" upper on a psa lower with cmmg .22lr conversion. I had a stoppage with 556 upper in that rifle that took 50 swings of a 3lb hammer to unF#€%! once. Never seen anything like it. Sold the lower and use the upper only for this as I didn't want someone to depend on it.
                    MBUS sights, 50 yards leaning on a landscape trailer. 3 shot group in a bout 5 to 10 seconds. 1.5".

Comment

PH~ The 173rd Airborne was the first boots on the ground with m-16s(Mattel Toy) Rifle they were called.1965

Comment

My answer disappeared before. I wonder how the fast twist of the AR will affect the lead of the .22 that used to be fired in a very slow twist rifle. ?

Comment

Pig,

Forgot to include some data for comparison. Used federal Automatch 40 grn solids for that quick group.
                          A month or so ago I decided to try the CCI copper .22s to avoid further contamination of the place. My venerable Marlin Glenfield Model 25 was the test bed. At 50 yards (off my truck hood) the CCI coppers were in the middle of the pack at about 1.25" if I recall properly. The Federal Automatch 40grn solids in that rifle managed 3/4". That wasnt off a bench and im not much of a shooter. I dont have a dedicated .22 AR to compare to, but the AR with the CMMG is about half as accurate as my chicken predator killer.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                            My answer disappeared before. I wonder how the fast twist of the AR will affect the lead of the .22 that used to be fired in a very slow twist rifle. ?
                            Jimbo, that's part of what I've wondered too. I'm guessing that the high velocity loads like the CCI Stinger or Velocitor might be better.

Comment

On Saturday, I was able to fire a few rounds through a suppressor using a Ruger handgun. Wow, I'm really impressed with how much the sound is reduced!

Every load we used cycled well except for the CCI "Quiet-22". It's listed as 710 fps so I guess there's just not enough recoil to work a semi-auto action. So, I'm thinking of just skipping the conversion kit and waiting on the desired bolt-action to become available. Thanks for all of the responses!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Firing squad.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                This final shot does...
                                Today, 09:07 PM
                              • Lost in the woods.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                Two Indians...
                                Today, 01:24 PM
                              • Books on a shelf.
                                by 99explorer
                                There are several books on a bookshelf.
                                If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                                Yesterday, 02:19 PM
                              • Mental arithmetic.
                                by 99explorer
                                A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
                                The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
                                How much does the ball cost?
                                Yesterday, 11:57 AM
                              • The new king.
                                by 99explorer
                                The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                                Now the twins are adults...
                                08-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X