No announcement yet.

Open sights or scope for young hunter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of good suggestions already but I especially like dewman's idea of using a low power or red dot scope. I'd at least turn the magnification all the way down.

Does he have a good way to hold the rifle steady or practice shooting from field positions? Maybe practicing picking a spot, shouldering the rifle, and acquiring the target would help build some muscle memory and a consistent cheek weld. I know when I was young shooting off a bench wasn't a problem but I was very hesitant to pull the trigger in the field. Lacking the support of a bench and sand bags combined with bulky hunting cloths that changed how it felt getting on the rifle (along with being CONVINCED more magnification was better) left me struggling with the scope and feeling unsteady. I always wanted to shoot but it took several years and quite a few deer walking by before I put it all together and pulled the trigger.

Comment

I once hunted with a newcomer who was using a rifle and scope for the first time.
      He missed a shot at a buck, and when I asked where the cross-hairs were when he fired, he answered that he did not see any cross-hairs when he shot.
      We reconstructed the shot and came to the conclusion that he had sighted OVER the scope and not through it.
      He soon corrected that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
        You mentioned distances of 20 yards and 35 yards for the two deer. If hunting shots in your area are in the 50 yard range as a usual, I would not think a scope was even necessary and might make it easier for your son regarding this issue. Make things as simple as possible when starting, there will be enough time after he is more aclimated to the full hunting scene ! The scope issue could cause hesitency in his hunting progress. If a scope is not needed, relax and be more basic with him for awhile. I wish both of you luck in this matter !
        Relax and be more basic for awhile,I agree

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
          It sounds to me a case of buck fever with a rifle stock not fitting him! You dad have not said his age??
          He’s 9 now. The stock seems to fit well. It’s a shortened stock on a youth model Rossi .243. I also shortened the stock on my inline muzzleloader so it fit his length of pull. I’m thinking the sitting on the ground and using his knee as a prop for his arm on fore end of the gun combined with bulkier clothing is the culprit. The shortened stock doesn’t do much when you add an 1” of extra clothing.

Comment

Shots under 50yrds are fairly normal but I sat in the same spot and took a buck at 100 yrds. So longer shots are possible, but haven’t been the norm. I feel bad, like I let him down by not seeing the fault of my training and going with open sights for him. We did turn the experiences into positives by stressing how proud I was of him for not just squeezing off. He was trying to properly aim and when he couldn’t get it right, he didn’t take a shot. It was a good teaching moment. Extremely hard for an 8-9yr old I imagine especially since both of the bucks were bigger than anything I have on the wall! Good news is, he’s still excited and not discouraged. This year he has discovered the joy of loading and shooting (and cleaning) the muzzleloader and here in MO we still have muzzleloader season in late December. And thanks to the responses on this thread, the scope is coming off of the muzzleloader and practice from hunting positions, at brown targets in the woods is going to take place at least a handful of times between now and dec season. Might try a red dot on the gun. We’ll even talk about actually pulling the trigger and taking a deer’s life more. I’ve never been one to force a kid to hunt or squeeze the trigger but I know how kids can try to do things just to please their folks. I want to make sure he’s not going hunting just to appease me. Even though I may never truly know, we’ll still discuss it more. Thank you to all of the people giving advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
              It sounds to me a case of buck fever with a rifle stock not fitting him! You dad have not said his age??
              Well i guess i was on the right track! My youngest Son who is now 45, i first time we were out deer hunting (he was 14) using a youth mod 7 Rem 260 rem scoped He had a 4pt buck in his sights 50yd out. He said Dad I cant shoot a living thing,i just cant!! But my oldest boy(now 47) Did. sometimes that the way things go;-))

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt_Fish_Eat View Post
                Shots under 50yrds are fairly normal but I sat in the same spot and took a buck at 100 yrds. So longer shots are possible, but haven’t been the norm. I feel bad, like I let him down by not seeing the fault of my training and going with open sights for him. We did turn the experiences into positives by stressing how proud I was of him for not just squeezing off. He was trying to properly aim and when he couldn’t get it right, he didn’t take a shot. It was a good teaching moment. Extremely hard for an 8-9yr old I imagine especially since both of the bucks were bigger than anything I have on the wall! Good news is, he’s still excited and not discouraged. This year he has discovered the joy of loading and shooting (and cleaning) the muzzleloader and here in MO we still have muzzleloader season in late December. And thanks to the responses on this thread, the scope is coming off of the muzzleloader and practice from hunting positions, at brown targets in the woods is going to take place at least a handful of times between now and dec season. Might try a red dot on the gun. We’ll even talk about actually pulling the trigger and taking a deer’s life more. I’ve never been one to force a kid to hunt or squeeze the trigger but I know how kids can try to do things just to please their folks. I want to make sure he’s not going hunting just to appease me. Even though I may never truly know, we’ll still discuss it more. Thank you to all of the people giving advice.
                Sincere pleasure to have discussed your issue. Be a regular and keep us informed on you and your sons progress and feel free to chime in whenever you have an opinion to share. From a southeast Missouri man, enjoy alternative season. Going to try to fill a doe tag with a pistol myself. Good luck fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt_Fish_Eat View Post
                  Very cordial of you Dew ,I,m impressed

Comment

In a little late, but I can add my $.02.
                    When my boy turned 12 I signed us up for a Sporterifle league at the local club. He wasn't eligible until then, but I wanted to get him started shooting more seriously than plinking cans in the back yard. This is indoors, .22's at 50' offhand. I started him out with a borrowed Savage youth with open sights. We only shot the the last five weeks of that season, and as expected he struggled. The following year I bought a CZ Scout 452 and topped it off with a Weaver RV-9 (rimfire variable 3-9x33 ao) He started out a little better, but quickly picked up his scores from there. Season average was 221.8 out of 300 but the last weeks he was in the 240's consistently.
                    This year not half way in and he's averaging in the 250's. My average has been in the low 260's consistently. Last week I shot horrible, 244, kid shot a 262. Thirteen year old whooped the old man, and a couple other adults. Not bad for less than two years of competition.

My take; have them shoot like they will be hunting, and do it often as possible. The league is nice as it encourages you to shoot, and adds a bit of pressure as you are shooting for score.

Comment

I'm also going to agree with the low power/ red dot group. While I agree iron sights are an invention everyone should learn to shoot with, for a first deer a scope will provide a better sight picture

Comment

At 8-9 years old he may just not be ready yet. There could be lots of reasons including he doesn't know how to communicate that the sight picture in the ocular lens doesn't match up well enough yet. If he's learned to shoot on the bench it could be he's not practicing good cheek weld and is moving forward or back in order to me his eyes to the scope instead of the scope to his eyes.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gun show today
                          by fitch270
                          Had another one of those close but not quite encounters today. One of the things I’m keeping an eye out for is a compact model rifle for my daughter...
                          08-14-2022, 09:45 PM
                        • Beater .44 mag
                          by CD2
                          My dad got this rig way back. And he shot the crap out of it. 255gr cast about all it ever ran and medium hot. All the time.

I inherited...
                          08-14-2022, 11:42 AM
                        • Eatin ‘chuck
                          by dewman
                          Took out a couple woodchucks this week. Things tunneled all over under a pals shop and equipment. Might still be a couple more. He asked can they be eaten....
                          08-13-2022, 07:19 PM
                        • Parallax adj
                          by CD2
                          Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                          08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                        • TriggerTech installed
                          by fitch270
                          First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                          08-06-2022, 10:09 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X