Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The varmint rifles that I currently use are chambered in .222 Remington, .22/250 Remington and .243 Winchester. However, I'm con

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckshott00
    replied
    since this question is kind of dated anyone reading this should consider the 6mm Creedmoor when thinking about the comparison offered by the reader

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by bear hunter View Post
    don't waste money on a 6mm it only .001 (caliber) off a .243
    Well, there's a little more difference than that! "The 6mm Remington has a slight ballistic advantage over the much more popular .243 Winchester due to a slightly larger case capacity. The longer case neck of the 6mm Remington is considered desirable by handloaders."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6mm_Remington

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by outdoorlife-editor View Post
    I think you should consider the 6mm Remington cartridge. Though the .222 and .22/250 cartridges are plenty accurate, they tend to run out of steam short of the 500-yard marker. We occasionally hear that the .243 Winchester is more accurate than the 6mm Remington, but such statements are not reliable. The issue has been definitively tested and was reported in "Testing the Twist Myth" [Shooting, November 2003].

The 6mm Remington may offer you an advantage because of its somewhat greater case capacity. It allows for heavier charges of slow-burning powder to be used with 105-grain bullets.

Reread the above-mentioned article, particularly noting the accuracy-producing (or reducing) relationships of different rates of twist with heavier, and longer, 6mm bullets. By matching a barrel with a specific rate of twist to a specific bullet, you will more likely achieve the degree of accuracy for long shots at small targets. —Jim Carmichel, Shooting Editor
    Thanks Jim, I'll definitely check out that article.

Leave a comment:

• Remington Metric
    replied
    The 6mm Rem. is faster, flatter, and inherently more accurate than the .243. I use my 6mm on everything from p-dogs to deer and it has never let me down so long as I do my part. The .243 is a sub-caliber for people who don’t know about the 6mm Rem.

Leave a comment:

• hunttolivetohunt
    replied
    there just about the same it will be as good as the 243

Leave a comment:

• bear hunter
    replied
    don't waste money on a 6mm it only .001 (caliber) off a .243

Leave a comment:

• outdoorlife-editor
    replied
    I think you should consider the 6mm Remington cartridge. Though the .222 and .22/250 cartridges are plenty accurate, they tend to run out of steam short of the 500-yard marker. We occasionally hear that the .243 Winchester is more accurate than the 6mm Remington, but such statements are not reliable. The issue has been definitively tested and was reported in "Testing the Twist Myth" [Shooting, November 2003].

The 6mm Remington may offer you an advantage because of its somewhat greater case capacity. It allows for heavier charges of slow-burning powder to be used with 105-grain bullets.

Reread the above-mentioned article, particularly noting the accuracy-producing (or reducing) relationships of different rates of twist with heavier, and longer, 6mm bullets. By matching a barrel with a specific rate of twist to a specific bullet, you will more likely achieve the degree of accuracy for long shots at small targets. —Jim Carmichel, Shooting Editor

Leave a comment:

• The varmint rifles that I currently use are chambered in .222 Remington, .22/250 Remington and .243 Winchester. However, I'm con

The varmint rifles that I currently use are chambered in .222 Remington, .22/250 Remington and .243 Winchester. However, I'm considering obtaining a rifle in 6mm Remington. I would like to try it with the heavy 105-grain A-MAX, or a similar bullet, for long-range shots at woodchucks (roughly 500 yards). What do you think of this cartridge/bullet combo? Also, I've heard that the 6mm isn't as accurate as the .243. Is this true? —K.K., Candor, NY

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X