Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I took my 25-06, .338 Win Mag and .375 H & H Magnum to the range for a sight in check yesterday. They were all dead on! I had not fire the .375 since sn African hunt and vaguely recall clicking back the elevation of the scope to 100 yards from the 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
    I agree. There's something very comforting about sighting in a rifle that's already dialed in. Not that you weren't going to check it and fix it anyway, but the sure knowledge that it's held zero this long without drifting off is nothing to sneeze it.
    I guess i should start calling her Old reliable. Darn right is is oddly comforting

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
      I don't know - most of my guns aren't that reliable. Lol Some of my rifles are extremely accurate, but the POI of my scopes often seems to drift over the offseason. I don't know why; cheaper optics perhaps? Honestly, target shooting isn't tremendously relaxing for me, because I tend to obsess over anything that goes wrong. Just my personality. And when I do shoot particularly well, I often get overexcited and that leads to flyers because my concentration wanes. I don't think I'd make a very good competitive shooter, even though I like to think I'm a good shot under most circumstances. Oddly enough I don't have that problem with archery. Once I get on a roll I can really rack up the bullseyes.

Do you have any special hunts planned for this fall, Kody?
      As you mentioned the iron sights may not change over the years but my eyes certainly have! That front bead sure covers a lot of target out there at 100 yards and there seems to be some kind of cloud blurring the view. I shot my 30-30 that same day and at short range it proved itself to be pretty accurate At the 100 yard mark I could hit a saucer size object but I won't be shooting any clover leaves. It may be up to the task but I am not!

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
        Sorry about the errors guys, without reading glasses I am pretty bad. Where are those damn things anyway?
        Thank you JM a few aches and pains that come of getting older don't bug me much but the loss of vision for close work really irritates me.

Comment

One of my favorite cartridges is the 9.3x62. If I do my part, it will cut holes at 100yds. Even the cheap Previ ammo will hole in hole. Also varying bullet weight from 250 grns to 286 grns seems to have the same point of impact. Ruger 77 African.

Comment

Originally posted by Pup49 View Post
            One of my favorite cartridges is the 9.3x62. If I do my part, it will cut holes at 100yds. Even the cheap Previ ammo will hole in hole. Also varying bullet weight from 250 grns to 286 grns seems to have the same point of impact. Ruger 77 African.
            That seems to be a cartridge favoured by many hunters out of Europe who manage to hunt Africa. It certainly is chambered in some outstanding rifles, I will do some reading on it after this post. I have commented on my use of a lever action 30-30 because it fits so well into the rifle scabbord off my saddle. I recalled that 9.3-62 is sometimes in a double barrel express rifle and it got me thinking. A shortbarrelled 375 H & H Magnum Express rifle would slide into that scabbord perfectly. No hammer or bolt to poke into the horse or me and better yet, it would have the stopping power the 30-30 is lacking. Hopefully, the Merkel comes with short barrels in the .375. Yes, I have been looking for an excuse to buy an Express rifle for years. I may have to sell my motorcycle to get the thing but the thought is planted. Thanks PUp49, if I get any flak from my wife I will of course be blaming it on you

Comment

For those who suggest getting the 45-50 in one of those short barrelled Guide rifles I say that I would rather shoot a 470 Nitro Express than one of those guns. Sure it has stopping power but I like to enjoy shooting my rifles and that is one rifle I found to unpleasant to shoot. I have sighted in two of them at the range for guys who were flitching so badly they could not fire them accurately. I got it done but unless it is a 45-70 rifle with a nice long barrel and some weight I will not be attempting it for a third time. Sharps would be fun but to much rifle to pack on a horse.

Comment

I am curious to know what sparked your interest in that round in the first place?

Comment

The rifle-to-rifle accuracy days happen. I think it has a lot to do with how focused you are on what you are doing as well as your shooting technique.
                  A few weeks ago I dropped a White tail doe with no noticeable level of excitement. I was glad to have the chance to fill the ticket and get meat in the freezer. If the doe would have been a 14-point buck I'm sure I would have been excited. The state of mind matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                    Sorry about the errors guys, without reading glasses I am pretty bad. Where are those damn things anyway?
                    Ah, it happens to us all eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                      I agree. There's something very comforting about sighting in a rifle that's already dialed in. Not that you weren't going to check it and fix it anyway, but the sure knowledge that it's held zero this long without drifting off is nothing to sneeze it.
                      As long as they're not mistreated it shouldn't be a shock that they're still sighted in

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                        My only rifle is a single-shot .22, which I hardly ever shoot, but I know what you mean anyway.
                        There's nothing wrong with a shotgun as your primary. You can do like I did and have a shorter barrel to swap to when not hunting birds

Comment

I have a .45-70 single shot Handi Rifle that's not too bad to shoot. But it's wearing one of those ugly slip-on pads...

Comment

Originally posted by fordman155 View Post
                            The rifle-to-rifle accuracy days happen. I think it has a lot to do with how focused you are on what you are doing as well as your shooting technique.
                            A few weeks ago I dropped a White tail doe with no noticeable level of excitement. I was glad to have the chance to fill the ticket and get meat in the freezer. If the doe would have been a 14-point buck I'm sure I would have been excited. The state of mind matters.
                            Now, that's a great observation! Excitement is relative to the game animal

Comment

As long as you don't mistreat your firearms, they should stay sighted in. Often, at the beginning of the season, I will check sight-in by firing just a single round.

Check out the pic below. I'd shot just a single round at the range with that .308 to verify the scope was still properly adjusted. The second round of the season dropped that nice public land buck. So, I fired only two rounds with that rifle for the whole season!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                                As long as you don't mistreat your firearms, they should stay sighted in. Often, at the beginning of the season, I will check sight-in by firing just a single round.

Check out the pic below. I'd shot just a single round at the range with that .308 to verify the scope was still properly adjusted. The second round of the season dropped that nice public land buck. So, I fired only two rounds with that rifle for the whole season!
                                That was a good day!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The new king.
                                  by 99explorer
                                  The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                                  Now the twins are adults...
                                  Yesterday, 04:27 PM
                                • Sisters.
                                  by 99explorer
                                  Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                                  How...
                                  Yesterday, 09:32 AM
                                • Rice for sale.
                                  by 99explorer
                                  A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                                  He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                                  He soon becomes...
                                  08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
                                • Strangers meet.
                                  by 99explorer
                                  A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                  They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                  No identification markers...
                                  08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                                • OU football
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                  The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                  08-16-2019, 10:35 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X