Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I took my 25-06, .338 Win Mag and .375 H & H Magnum to the range for a sight in check yesterday. They were all dead on! I had not fire the .375 since sn African hunt and vaguely recall clicking back the elevation of the scope to 100 yards from the 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took my 25-06, .338 Win Mag and .375 H & H Magnum to the range for a sight in check yesterday. They were all dead on! I had not fire the .375 since sn African hunt and vaguely recall clicking back the elevation of the scope to 100 yards from the 5

I took my 25-06, .338 Win Mag and .375 H & H Magnum to the range for a sight in check yesterday. They were all dead on! I had not fire the .375 since sn African hunt and vaguely recall clicking back the elevation of the scope to 100 yards from the 50 yard set up I had used for buffalo. It amazes me that those larger bore rifles can be so accurate. Honestly, I feel centered and all is right in the world when I confirm the accuracy of my rifles. Is isn't yoga or meditation but it sure does the trick for me. I wonder if you guys feel the same?

Sorry about the errors guys, without reading glasses I am pretty bad. Where are those damn things anyway?

Comment

I don't know - most of my guns aren't that reliable. Lol Some of my rifles are extremely accurate, but the POI of my scopes often seems to drift over the offseason. I don't know why; cheaper optics perhaps? Honestly, target shooting isn't tremendously relaxing for me, because I tend to obsess over anything that goes wrong. Just my personality. And when I do shoot particularly well, I often get overexcited and that leads to flyers because my concentration wanes. I don't think I'd make a very good competitive shooter, even though I like to think I'm a good shot under most circumstances. Oddly enough I don't have that problem with archery. Once I get on a roll I can really rack up the bullseyes.

Do you have any special hunts planned for this fall, Kody?

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
        I don't know - most of my guns aren't that reliable. Lol Some of my rifles are extremely accurate, but the POI of my scopes often seems to drift over the offseason. I don't know why; cheaper optics perhaps? Honestly, target shooting isn't tremendously relaxing for me, because I tend to obsess over anything that goes wrong. Just my personality. And when I do shoot particularly well, I often get overexcited and that leads to flyers because my concentration wanes. I don't think I'd make a very good competitive shooter, even though I like to think I'm a good shot under most circumstances. Oddly enough I don't have that problem with archery. Once I get on a roll I can really rack up the bullseyes.

Nothing exotic, just some whitetail hunting and goose hunting. That could ramp up once the guns start going off. I have been covering a lot of country on my mare, River. You can't help dreaming of the possibilities offered by hunting on horseback. I am getting pretty confident riding, enough that the chances of getting hurt trail riding are a little less. Knock on wood! She doesn't mind the rifle scabbard, though I will not be pulling any triggers while on board.

Comment

I agree. There's something very comforting about sighting in a rifle that's already dialed in. Not that you weren't going to check it and fix it anyway, but the sure knowledge that it's held zero this long without drifting off is nothing to sneeze it.

Comment

My only rifle is a single-shot .22, which I hardly ever shoot, but I know what you mean anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
              My only rifle is a single-shot .22, which I hardly ever shoot, but I know what you mean anyway.
              Seriously?? You need to buy some more guns, man! Lol

Comment

Figured that would raise some eyebrows. Truth is, I've never needed anything but a twelve-gauge. I've kicked around the idea of buying a rifle ever since my county legalized them for deer, but honestly I'm still fine with my old Win. 1200 slug-gun. My next purchase will be that longbow we talked about (spring, probably -- it's not that expensive, actually, but I'm on a pretty tight budget right now), and then maybe a little 20-gauge shotgun. I've been thinking about staying out overnight more often, during the small-game seasons, and I get tired of lugging the 12 with its 28-inch bird barrel. Then again, with the political climate being what it is, I might throw the budget out the window and just buy a good rifle while I still can ... although, truth to tell, I'm really not too paranoid about that.

Comment

You wouldn't have that problem if you used iron sights, HFT . I haven't had to adjust the sights on my deer rifle one time in my entire life(although I always shoot to make sure nothing moved to be safe).

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                    Sorry about the errors guys, without reading glasses I am pretty bad. Where are those damn things anyway?
                    Wasn't wearing my contacts, so I couldn't really see any mistakes you make anyways haha.

Comment

Yeah, but then I would have other problems, JM. Like not being able to hit anything beyond slingshot range! Lol

Comment

My advice is to buy one of everything. That usually covers all the bases...

Comment

I completely get where you're coming from there. I have other shotguns, but if I'm going squirrel hunting I have an NE Pardner single shot 20g that is a joy to carry in the woods all day. Bought a Stoeger Condor double 20g.. Still lighter than my pump guns, but for squirrel, not rabbit, how often do you actually miss and get a follow up?

Comment

I like that you are sticking to what you (actually) need, Tioughnioga. My problem is that my brain thinks that I need, as HFT put it, one of everything!

Comment

Harharhar....I bet I can shoot iron sights further than Tioughniogas 12 gauge, haha. Maybe me and him can have a "long distance" competition...you know, at about 50 yards or so. In all honesty I could hit deer sized game at 200 yards with my iron sights, but I wouldn't want to do that anyways. Maybe sling shot technology has improved, but I believe I'm still a bit ahead of it in accuracy.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Firing squad.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                                This final shot does...
                                Today, 09:07 PM
                              • Lost in the woods.
                                by 99explorer
                                You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                                One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                                Two Indians...
                                Today, 01:24 PM
                              • Books on a shelf.
                                by 99explorer
                                There are several books on a bookshelf.
                                If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                                Yesterday, 02:19 PM
                              • Mental arithmetic.
                                by 99explorer
                                A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
                                The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
                                How much does the ball cost?
                                Yesterday, 11:57 AM
                              • The new king.
                                by 99explorer
                                The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                                Now the twins are adults...
                                08-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X