Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To become an accomplished rifleman do you consider firing an open sight rifle a skill worth refining?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kody View Post
    I posted this open sight piece under the question section as I hoped to get the attention of some new forum members or catch the attention of those surfing around. I am going to post the same question on the forum where it can still get some play. Please join in the discussion on the forum which is accessed just under the Outdoor Life header on the home page.
    I wish we still had the forum pages...

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
      If scopes was the final answer to accurate accomplished shooters ,then what would you do if the scope became useless in a dangerous situation?
      6P, that situation would be rare. However, pointing the barrel in the right direction would probably work at short distance

Comment

Originally posted by fordman155 View Post
        Keeping the skill of accurately firing with open sights is a worthy endeavor. You won't always be able to put a scope on a rifle. You might not even need to put a scope on certain rifles. A plethora of deer were taken with Winchester 94's and Marlin 336's, to name a few of the iconic rifles of the last century or so, and those rifles didn't have to have scopes to be effective. It was rare to see a scope of any kind used by the military before the ACOG and red dot scopes became widely used. Millions of riflemen were trained on open sights and the training or use by the military and sportsmen is still a valuable asset.
        All true, but probably just a moot point since most handguns just have open sights and most hunters probably already own one.

Comment

No, I don't think it's necessary once you learn the fundamentals. Most of us have trouble with open sights as our eyes change with age.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            No, I don't think it's necessary once you learn the fundamentals. Most of us have trouble with open sights as our eyes change with age.
            Most of my rifles have scopes attached

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pieces of gold.
              by 99explorer
              Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
              Yesterday, 06:45 PM
            • Mansion on fire.
              by 99explorer
              One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
              It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
              Yesterday, 10:04 AM
            • Firing squad.
              by 99explorer
              A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
              This final shot does...
              08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
            • Lost in the woods.
              by 99explorer
              You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
              One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
              Two Indians...
              08-22-2019, 01:24 PM
            • Books on a shelf.
              by 99explorer
              There are several books on a bookshelf.
              If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
              08-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X