Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay so I am going to show some ignorance and hope ya'll can cure it for me. I am thinking that in the next year or two I will be getting a lever action deer rifle. Now my favorite caliber for the kind of hunting that I expect to do, woodlands in AR,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay so I am going to show some ignorance and hope ya'll can cure it for me. I am thinking that in the next year or two I will be getting a lever action deer rifle. Now my favorite caliber for the kind of hunting that I expect to do, woodlands in AR,

Okay so I am going to show some ignorance and hope ya'll can cure it for me. I am thinking that in the next year or two I will be getting a lever action deer rifle. Now my favorite caliber for the kind of hunting that I expect to do, woodlands in AR, would be 30-30 coupled with a 3-9x scope, but I have been hearing some good things about lever actions in .357 mag. What I am wondering about is this; 1) Is the chambering in .357 mag comparable to 30-30, and 2) For purposes of the KISS principal, would .357 mag pistol cartridges interchange with the rifle cartridges? Having already own a .357 mag pistol I am looking at not having to add another, different, box of ammo to carry around.

The 357 has limited range to about 60 yrds in pistol or rifle. I would go with the 30-30 or even 35 Rem.

Comment

Even though the velocity and energies are far better coming from a carbine than a shorter barreled handgun, the .357 is still no match for the 30-30. The .357 handgun and rifle cartridges are interchangeable though.

Comment

There is only one .357 magnum, it's the same round for both rifles and pistols. The .357 is a fine pistol cartridge, but it doesn't begin to compare to the 30-30 ballistically. Of those two choices, I would definitely go with the 30-30.

Comment

I would take the .30-30 over a .357 in a heart beat, but I am 100% biased. I really don't think any gun could beat a .30-30 with iron sights in thick woods. On Saturday I took a follow up shot through THICK scrub brush at around 75 yards and it went right through and dropped the doe in her tracks. I doubt a .357 would have the energy to pass through that brush even at half the distance. Neither round really has that knock-down power that some rifles have, so tough follow-up shots are common and its hard to beat the .30-30 when going through brush. If you want some real power look at a .45-70(I would say it is too much for deer though).

Comment

I think most would agree that a 357 Mag is marginal for deer. The 30-30 gives you a lot more versatility and you wouldn't be limited so much in the range you could take a shot. Any rifle bullet that strikes a twig or a limb on the way to the target will be deflected to some degree, for that matter a clump of grass will also deflect a bullet off course.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
              I would take the .30-30 over a .357 in a heart beat, but I am 100% biased. I really don't think any gun could beat a .30-30 with iron sights in thick woods. On Saturday I took a follow up shot through THICK scrub brush at around 75 yards and it went right through and dropped the doe in her tracks. I doubt a .357 would have the energy to pass through that brush even at half the distance. Neither round really has that knock-down power that some rifles have, so tough follow-up shots are common and its hard to beat the .30-30 when going through brush. If you want some real power look at a .45-70(I would say it is too much for deer though).
              I had thought of the 45-70 as well but I don't see the availability of the ammo in my area for that round.

Comment

I agree that the .357 is inadequate. If I were going to get a lever action deer rifle, it would be in .35 Rem., rather than the .30-30---just a little more knockdown power and brushbusting ability. Couple that with the increased range from the new softnose cartridges specifically for tubular magazines and you have a much superior hunting rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
                  I think most would agree that a 357 Mag is marginal for deer. The 30-30 gives you a lot more versatility and you wouldn't be limited so much in the range you could take a shot. Any rifle bullet that strikes a twig or a limb on the way to the target will be deflected to some degree, for that matter a clump of grass will also deflect a bullet off course.
                  Hi...

Although you prefer the 30-30...an excellent and popular deer rifle...I would recommend the lever-action.308. I've had excellent luck with mine when deer hunting.

Comment

Hi...

My personal recommendation would be a .308...in particular, a Savage lever action.

The .357 would be minimal for big game, and I could not recommend it.

I've had very good luck with the .308, and recommend it strongly.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                      by fitch270
                      Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                      09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                    • Grips and stocks
                      by dewman
                      so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                      09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                    • Youth pheasant hike
                      by fitch270
                      Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                      09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                    • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                      by fitch270
                      Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                      09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                    • Unusual Sound
                      by jhjimbo
                      At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                      09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X