Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For performing a barrel break in, what you recommend for # of cleanings vs. # of shots? And what cleaning product would you suggest for this process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For performing a barrel break in, what you recommend for # of cleanings vs. # of shots? And what cleaning product would you suggest for this process?

For performing a barrel break in, what you recommend for # of cleanings vs. # of shots? And what cleaning product would you suggest for this process?

Clean every shot for first 5, then every second shot for next 10 or 15. When hunting ground hogs we can go about 20 rounds or more before cleaning.
    The idea is to get the barrel as smooth as possible. You should be able to run a jag and tight patch through the barrel and not feel any rough spot or snag. I use a bore snake with an oil soaked patch around the brush part. Then, on the wet patch I smear on some JB non-embedding bore paste. Do that as many times as necessary to remove traces of copper. I follow that with a snake wet around the brush area with kerosene or Hoppies which is 70% kerosene and that removes any trace of the JB paste. You can also put the muzzle in a pan of kero and use a mop to bring the kero up into the barrel. You can see when the kero comes out clean and you are finished. If storing, run a patch through with Remington oil on it.
    Some barrel manufacturers have the procedure listed on their web sites. Good luck.

Comment

JHP's procedure is pretty close to mine. I swab out every shot for the first twenty. After that I swab out every five shots until I hit fifty. I just use regular cleaning products. It's not as time consuming as it appears.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
        JHP's procedure is pretty close to mine. I swab out every shot for the first twenty. After that I swab out every five shots until I hit fifty. I just use regular cleaning products. It's not as time consuming as it appears.
        I asked Wayne Van Zwoll this question and his answer was to just shoot. The newer manufacturing techniques have done away with the traditional break in ritual.

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
          even though the manufacturer still recommends it?

Comment

I posted a reply I received on this from the US Army Marksmanship Unit about 3 years ago. It was a very informative reply. You can find it in the message board under guns and is titled "The skinny on barrel break in"

Comment

I agree with the shot / cleaning ration of JHP.
              I use Hoppes #9 bore cleaner. It does a fine job. When you're done shooting for the day, wet punch the bore three times, let it set for 20 minutes with a wet bore, then wet punch one more time followed by dry punching until all the liquid is out of the bore.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget