Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Sig Sauer 3000 Patrol that I am sizing up to mount a scope. I will only be punching paper at long ranges so the .308 s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Sig Sauer 3000 Patrol that I am sizing up to mount a scope. I will only be punching paper at long ranges so the .308 s

I have a Sig Sauer 3000 Patrol that I am sizing up to mount a scope. I will only be punching paper at long ranges so the .308 suits me just fine. I have narrowed my choices to the Zeiss Conquest 5-25 power (that might be 6-24 whatever? ) and the Nightforce 6-32 power. The night force scope is about $600 more. While I would prefer the lesser expense there is no sense cheaping out on a rifle capable of tremendous accuracy. I want it to be such that I am the weak link in the accuracy department ===meaning if I miss it is my fault and not that of the rifle. It has to have good optics for these aging eyes. My trigger finger works just fine. Thought??

I think either will be fine. I think once you get to a certain level of quality in optics differences in them will be hard to determine. I've looked at both brands and they seem excellent. If money is no object I would get the Night Force.

Comment

I don't know anything about Nightforce scopes, other than that they're very expensive. But I do know that Zeiss has been the standard of excellence in optics for many, many years, and I'm sure you can't go wrong with one of their scopes. If the higher magnification of the Nightforce is important, and you have the money, then that might be the better choice, but otherwise I'd save the money and get the Zeiss.

Comment

The finances of this deal require me to sell one gun for the Zeiss and two guns for the Nightforce. As DSMbirddog suggests "if money is no object" ... DSM, I have worked to hard earning my dollars to ever say Money is No Object. Ha Ha! I have always told my wife that guns are a liquid asset . Guns, unlike most other things we spend our money on hold their value. So, when I want something special I try to talk myself into selling off the firearms least used or least appreciated....that is not always an easy decision as a guy get attached to these toys. I just can't let my Browning Over and Under go so I will go for the cheaper buy. Besides, The Zeiss at a local dealer is now less than at Cabelas. This will be exciting guys as I have never attempted shots at 500yards let alone beyond that distance. I have a few pounds of Varget powder ready to burn and .308 case reading to load up and fire up.

Comment

Scratch that idea..someone wiser than myself informs me that the Bushnell Elite 3.5-21 X 50 mm is the scope of choice based on price and performance. I will check it out and hope I can find the scope in the reticle style suggested to me which is the TRMOR2... That reticle looks like it may require a college course of study to master so I will have a look at its manual to see if I am up to the task. Yes, I do find my TV remote challenging these days!!

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
            I think either will be fine. I think once you get to a certain level of quality in optics differences in them will be hard to determine. I've looked at both brands and they seem excellent. If money is no object I would get the Night Force.
            Kody likes buying the best so money really is not a factor

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
              I don't know anything about Nightforce scopes, other than that they're very expensive. But I do know that Zeiss has been the standard of excellence in optics for many, many years, and I'm sure you can't go wrong with one of their scopes. If the higher magnification of the Nightforce is important, and you have the money, then that might be the better choice, but otherwise I'd save the money and get the Zeiss.
              So, magnification vs price?

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                The finances of this deal require me to sell one gun for the Zeiss and two guns for the Nightforce. As DSMbirddog suggests "if money is no object" ... DSM, I have worked to hard earning my dollars to ever say Money is No Object. Ha Ha! I have always told my wife that guns are a liquid asset . Guns, unlike most other things we spend our money on hold their value. So, when I want something special I try to talk myself into selling off the firearms least used or least appreciated....that is not always an easy decision as a guy get attached to these toys. I just can't let my Browning Over and Under go so I will go for the cheaper buy. Besides, The Zeiss at a local dealer is now less than at Cabelas. This will be exciting guys as I have never attempted shots at 500yards let alone beyond that distance. I have a few pounds of Varget powder ready to burn and .308 case reading to load up and fire up.
                That's sound thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                  Scratch that idea..someone wiser than myself informs me that the Bushnell Elite 3.5-21 X 50 mm is the scope of choice based on price and performance. I will check it out and hope I can find the scope in the reticle style suggested to me which is the TRMOR2... That reticle looks like it may require a college course of study to master so I will have a look at its manual to see if I am up to the task. Yes, I do find my TV remote challenging these days!!
                  LOL! That's just part of the decision process.

Comment

So, what did you select? Did it work out and were you able to get good accuracy at 500 yards?

How come you went with .308 instead of your accurate 300 Win Mag?

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                      So, what did you select? Did it work out and were you able to get good accuracy at 500 yards?

How come you went with .308 instead of your accurate 300 Win Mag?
                      Looks like the 300 Win Mag wins for long distance shooting

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lost some cover; pic heavy
                        by fitch270
                        ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                        Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      • Covid-19
                        by jhjimbo
                        Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                        09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                      • Spur of the moment rifle
                        by Amflyer
                        I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                        09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                      • The $20 Shooting Shack
                        by fitch270
                        So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                        09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                      • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                        by dewman
                        one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                        09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X