Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any suggestions on a bull-barrel 22-250? I have finally decided after a weekend of trying the .223 and a 22-250 to g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have any suggestions on a bull-barrel 22-250? I have finally decided after a weekend of trying the .223 and a 22-250 to g

Anyone have any suggestions on a bull-barrel 22-250? I have finally decided after a weekend of trying the .223 and a 22-250 to go with the 250. Any suggestions? The rifle I tried was a Sako, with a Nikon Monatch 4x15 I believe as a scope. Any suggestions for a decent set up, but with a bull barrel, please let me know. Thanks!

I have the Remington Varmint 22-250 with a Burris 6X24 and really like it. This has the bull barrel in a synthetic stock. Excellent accuracy.

Comment

Forgot to say it is the Remington 700.

Comment

Tikka T3 Varmit - has the Sako barrel and action. Smooth as silk and more accurate than I am. Also uses detachable magazines. Have an adequate Redfield scope mounted (made by Leupold.)

Comment

I would second JHP. You can't go wrong with the Rem 700 Varmint. I have a Rem 700 tactical in .223 and it is one of my favs.

Comment

The other posters all have good suggestions, but I would take a look at the Savage Model 12 varmint series. I haven't personally shot them, but I've never had a bad experience with a Savage rifle, and the 12 series has a reputation for superb accuracy and reliability. They aren't the prettiest guns out there, but that keeps the cost reasonable.
            As for a scope, you can't go wrong with Nikon IMO, although there are a lot of good scopes out there.

Comment

I have a savage model 16 22-250 with a sporter 22" barrel with a 6-18 Nikon buck Masters. I dont feel a bull barrel is needed. But thats just me. Ive shot this set up in SD shooting prairie dog, to coyote and ground hogs in PA. With 55gr varmint nightmare bullets in front of h380 and it is a shooter. If i do my part. The long bull barrels are nice to squeek all the FPS you can but are heavy to lug around. And my 22" sporter will knock the fur off a whistle pig well past 300yds. jmo This set up works for me. Let us know what you come up with.

Comment

Ruger just came out with the American in a compact version (looks like a bull barrel) in 22-250. This was my original idea to get an American being that it's not too costly, dependable, and has an accu-trigger style trigger on it. Now with the compact, it's probably going to be purchased with the bull-barrel on it. I'll let everyone know the final verdict. Thanks for all the good stuff though!

Comment

Well, after investigating the American in the compact, it was a major no-no. So back to it, I have been researching the Savage Model 12 FV 22-250. Synthetic stock with bull barrel (heavy barrel as they call it). Best I have found in Pittsburgh area is $635. Is that about as good as I'm gonna find on it?

Comment

Well, after investigating the American in the compact, it was a major no-no. So back to it, I have been researching the Savage Model 12 FV 22-250. Synthetic stock with bull barrel (heavy barrel as they call it). Best I have found in Pittsburgh area is $635. Is that about as good as I'm gonna find on it?

Comment

Yeah, that sounds like a good deal on the Savage. I doubt you'll find it new for less anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by officerdom1987 View Post
                        Savage axis 22 250 heavy barrel timely trigger Nikon Prostaff 5 4.5-14x44

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                          by dewman
                          Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                          Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                        • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                          by dewman
                          Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                          Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                        • What is taking so long ?
                          by jhjimbo
                          Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                          09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                        • Burn cream
                          by CD2
                          Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                          No longer does.
                          Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                          Bargain.

Got...
                          09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                        • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                          by dewman
                          So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                          09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X