Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I took my .30-06 to the range today to check it for bear season this weekend, everything was good to go. When I put a laser b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I took my .30-06 to the range today to check it for bear season this weekend, everything was good to go. When I put a laser b

So I took my .30-06 to the range today to check it for bear season this weekend, everything was good to go. When I put a laser boresighter on it at 25yards, how come it was NO WHERE remotely close to being where my POA was? Before we start talking about it, I realize I should be about 1.5inches below bullseye with my zero at 100. Now that we cleared that up, with the boresighter, I am like 6 inches above the bulleye and left about 4. What is the deal? I thought people use these things to "check their zero" before they hunt. How am I supposed to check a zero when it's like this? Help me out please

You got me. Just so I'm clear, the gun WAS shooting dead-on at 100 yards, right? If so, the only thing I can think of is maybe you have a bad/defective boresight. Because if the barrel and the scope are both pointing at the same spot, and the boresight is off, then the issue is obviously with the boresight, and not the gun or scope. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I've never heard of a boresight being that far off the actual point of impact.

Comment

I don't have a great answer on that. I've been using mine for years and found it to be pretty accurate. Being a bit paranoid about it, any time I use it to boresight, once I've adjusted my scope, I rotate the boresighter 180 degrees in the barrel/chamber depending on what type you have. If you're still happy with the POI, I'd assume the boresighter is accurate. If it has shifted, I'd imagine it's a problem with the boresighter not being true. The one thing I'm not sure of in your post is whether you checked the boresighter immediately after sighting in or after a time of transporting the rifle. If the latter, maybe the boresighter is right and it just earned its keep.

Comment

Every boresighter I have used was only for getting the gun on paper at short range. I would never rely on one to sight in a gun.
        -The bulb itself probably is not perfectly aligned with the barrel. Try holding it in your hand at 25 yards and notice how little it takes to move the dot an inch. At 100 yards it would multiply that amount of change at 25 yards by 4.

Comment

A boresighter doesn't line up with your point of aim. In order to check a rifle's zero with a boresighter you have to zero it first, then install the boresight and record where it points. You return the zero to that recorded point, not to zero. The boresighter being six inches from POA isn't unusual.

Comment

Let me clarify some statements for everyone. When I watch hunting shows, after they fly somewhere or the gun is in the truck, they attach a boresight to just check their zero and they always say, "Well nothing happened, it's all good." So I decided to buy one for that reason. After shooting, and the gun shooting shooting fantastic, I took the gun home to attach the boresight to see where it was, and it was not even close to my Point of Aim. Off drastically. I called Wheeler Engineering, I have the laser magnetic one in green laser, and they decided to ship me a new one to see if it was the boresight, so I am waiting for this to come in. Hope this helps some re-answer this. Thanks guys

Comment

Officerdom,

I'm with you on this one. The boresighter should be consistent. For those that state they have a consistent shift, most that I've seen are purely cylindrical or conical in design with no markings to imply a particular orientation. I've used both caliber specific ones that mount in the chamber and end of the barrel designs. They should be precision instruments that are true to their own plane. Laser levels aren't new technology, this is doable. I get back to my recommended test. Install boresighter, check laser poi vs scope. Then rotate boresighter. IF that shifted, I think there's a problem with the tool. Mine is consistently on the same point no matter how I rotate it. This would imply that it's truly aligned with my barrel. If it was not, turning it would cause the point to rotate around my crosshairs.

Comment

Officerdom,

I'm with you on this one. The boresighter should be consistent. For those that state they have a consistent shift, most that I've seen are purely cylindrical or conical in design with no markings to imply a particular orientation. I've used both caliber specific ones that mount in the chamber and end of the barrel designs. They should be precision instruments that are true to their own plane. Laser levels aren't new technology, this is doable. I get back to my recommended test. Install boresighter, check laser poi vs scope. Then rotate boresighter. IF that shifted, I think there's a problem with the tool. Mine is consistently on the same point no matter how I rotate it. This would imply that it's truly aligned with my barrel. If it was not, turning it would cause the point to rotate around my crosshairs.

Comment

I would do what jcarlin suggests. If the boresighter doesn't move everything should be fine. Since the rifle was shooting fine, record where the boresighter was hitting the target and then to check the zero it should be at that point. When the guys on the hunting shows check zero with a boresighter that's what they do. See if the boresighter still hits the same spot that they recorded earlier. Boresighting a rifle is not the same as zeroing it, the offset you're seeing is normal.

Comment

Sorry. Just glanced at my last comment. When I state that a bad boresighter would rotate about your crosshairs, that assumes that your crosshairs are already dialed in. It would have been more correct to state that the laser would rotate in a circle in your field of view. Unless you're already sighted in, it wouldn't necessarily be centered on your crosshairs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                      by jhjimbo
                      If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                      Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                    • Pay it forward
                      by fitch270
                      I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                      10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                    • Reloading Gear Order
                      by fitch270
                      I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                      10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                    • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                      by dewman
                      Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                      10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                    • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                      by Ernie
                      Any handgun hunters here?
                      Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                      10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X