Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is a good rifle for both hunting big game but yet a good shtf gun I like the way ars look but the .223 doesn't really cut i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is a good rifle for both hunting big game but yet a good shtf gun I like the way ars look but the .223 doesn't really cut i

what is a good rifle for both hunting big game but yet a good shtf gun I like the way ars look but the .223 doesn't really cut it and ar .308s are supposedly really heavy and the same thing goes with m1as should I just get a hunting rifle like a model 70 featherweight and then later down the road get a ar also I don't want to spend over 700-800 bucks thanks also I would consider used

Thats a good question for idduckhtr..

Comment

There are other AR cartridges. If by big game you go up to deer, the 6.5Grendel, 6.8Remington and .450Bushmaster would fit the bill. The latter is used with success on wild boar.
      These are similar length to the .223, but the case has increased in diameter for more powder and a bigger bullet.
      Also, there are some companies that make a dual caliber rifle with easy to change uppers.
      Good Luck.

Comment

MN, why me.

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys just a little more info I know more that more than half of you guys know thy I have asked questions like this but I like my .223 (rem 700 sps varmint) , my 7.62x54r (mosin nagant 91/30), and my two .22s (marlin model 80 and rem 975) but I really have no use for my .243 (Remington 700 adl synthetic) the reason being is that yes it can be used on deer but nothing bigger than that. And the reason I bought one in the first place is I thought it would be for coyote hunting but then I found out ammo ain't real cheap for the limited capabilities that the .243 puts out. So what I am saying is that yes I do have two guns that can take deer humanly (.243 and 7.62x54r) and one that can take bigger than deer ( 7.62x54r) but the problem is the mosin isn't the most accurate gun around its more of a big plinker. So I don't have a all around big game rifle but I like the looks of the ars and m1as and m1 garands but I don't want to spend a ton of money and I would like to keep the ammo standard like .308 30-06 etc. thanks!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I would buy a good bolt action in 308 like Weatherby Vandgaurd. Load some 165s for deer and elk and some 130s for coyotes.

Comment

just thinking How about a hunting semi auto rifle like a used browning BAR or something along those lines? any suggestions

Comment

If you just want a deer and elk rifle look at a 308, 7 08, 270 the list long. the 7 08 and 308 are good varmint and big game rifles.

Comment

Thanks idduckhntr much appreciated

Comment

I have a Ruger 7mm that was just too much for what I needed, so recently picked up a Tikka .308. I'm shooting a 150gr version of a ballistic tip out of it and I'm loving the performance. Took down a large muley and finished off my uncles in WY this fall, and took down a whitetail in WI too. All three dropped within 10yds. The gun is light, shoots easy, and leaves me options for other ammo as well. I'd highly recommend the .308

Comment

thanks masterangler! much appreciated

Comment

Hi...

The 308s are heavy...?? Not really. My Savage lever action 308 has never been easier to carry. Also, a variety of bullet weights are available.

An all around, ideal weapon.

Comment

bob, when I meant .308s I meant the ar's not the bolts and levers and other semi auto designs but thanks for the info.

Comment

Hi...

Per CHB...thanks for the clarification...and, you're welcome.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lost some cover; pic heavy
                              by fitch270
                              ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                              Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                            • Covid-19
                              by jhjimbo
                              Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                              09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                            • Spur of the moment rifle
                              by Amflyer
                              I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                              09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                            • The $20 Shooting Shack
                              by fitch270
                              So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                              09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                            • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                              by dewman
                              one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                              09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X