Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So i have been thinkin a while about geting an actual pistol to use ( i already have a .22lr single shot break barrel with a pee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So i have been thinkin a while about geting an actual pistol to use ( i already have a .22lr single shot break barrel with a pee

So i have been thinkin a while about geting an actual pistol to use ( i already have a .22lr single shot break barrel with a peep rear and a hooded front but it is super old and really hard to get a good sight picture free handed.) so my intension of getting the pistol is something that i can carry around wheather hunting, dirtbiking, 4 wheeling, doing work around the farm, possible home or personal defense which in my situation would probably never happen, target shooting/plinking/having fun, or just taking a walk around the woods. the animals that i see that i would use this on would be the occasional squirl, rabbit, raccoon, skunk, opossum, woodchuck or other animal around that size you may find in the woods and maybe some pigeons. but it would also be the gun i would be carrying with me during hunting seson and one animal i hunt is coyote pretty much all other is non dagerous game but still would carry it just incase if something does happen. the two main reasons for carrying this gun is i have kinda gotten a little "annal" about going into the woods with out a weapon of some type be it nife gun or something that you can use as a defense weapon. the reason being is that a couple years back my dad and i were snowmobiling and came up on all of the tracks on our swamp (which was obviously froze over and had snow on it.) but so we went over there and there was a bunch of coyote tracks but then we noticed that there were these other bigger tracks CAT LIKE i was like dad what are these and he said i have no clue and they were so big that my dads hand fit inside him and belive me my dad has no small hand. later that year my brother claimeed he saw something big and black run into the woods but couldnt get a clear view oh and about that last thing my dad called up the dnr and gave them the description of the paw right there and they said it was probably a mountain lion now remeber i live in minnesota so this is not common. but however the year after that while i was on the bus the strangest thing happened i was talking about it and we saw it while i was talking to this one kid. IT WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY NEIGHBORS HOUSE now we didnt call him or anything cause it was farther away from his actuall house and it was like 6 in the morning also my dad started talking to some people and appenently some people have seen it including our other neigboring farms. then this year i saw some pretty big tracks again. my mom saw it first and she thought it was my one black lab and then she relized it was a big cat and then relized the dog was beside her. also i dont want any coyotes commin up on me so that is another reason i want it but the other main reason i want it is that i hate haveing to lug a big gun around on the four wheeler or snowmobile and sometimes its annoying to even bring a big gun on a snowmobile. at first i was looking at the p22 because of it size but in a way i liked that but in a way i didnt. but then i also saw mixed reviews so i was looking at other like the gsg 1911 .22. or should i go less military like for my uses and go with like a browning buckmark or ruger mkiii or am i picking the wrong caliber for my uses and should i get something like a 40s&w; 45acp or 9mm or should i be looking at a revolver and that two should i be looking at something bigger like a 45 long colt 44mag or 357 mag. the reason that i want the .22lr the most is because i already have two .22lr guns and ammo is very cheap.

After reading your post I would recommend nothing smaller than a 22 WMR and it would be a revolver. Two to consider would be the 22 WMR Ruger LCR or a Ruger Super Single Six. The Single Six comes with a 22 LR cylinder as well. If you are going to try small game hunting, the Single Six is accurate enough for that. finally, IMO revolvers are more reliable if you are out in the dirt, snow, and ice.

Comment

I'll let DSMbirddog be the advisor on .22 handguns. I'd just like to point out to you that even though you may be seeing cougar tracks, the odds that you and others are seeing a black cougar are so slim that they are virtually nonexistent. From what I've read, melanism has never been officially documented in felis concor and albinism is just as rare. There have been instances of black jaguars, but that's pretty far north for one of them. Mountain lions are tan or brown with the characteristic long tail.

Comment

I think there's a lot of different questions here. On my end I think you're trying to do an awful lot with one gun.
        I don't have a problem with a .22lr trail gun. You generally can't go wrong with a .22 revolver. I've recently purchased a Chiappa 1911-22 which I thought was worth mentioning since you mentioned that style and so far have found it to be very reliable and accurate through a mixed bag of ammo and 500 rounds.
        If you are seriously concerned about predators as one of your primary uses I think you're asking a lot of a .22lr. The discussions along that are over my pay grade but generally a .357 magnum falls immediately on one side or other of the line on that. Another arguement in favor of said .357 revolver is you can get a decent lightweight one from Taurus starting in the mid $300s, you can fire .38 which is both a bit more mellow and inexpensive, and for very small game at relatively short ranges, can use birdshot shells. Even that is a compromise. Besides, few things beat a good .22 as a plinker. I'm of the 2 different guns opinion, but I know that's not always practical.

Comment

Would it even be legal for you to own/carry a handgun? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you're under 21, and in most states that's the cut-off for legal handgun use or carry without an adult present. Please keep in mind, I'm not criticizing you personally in any way, I've known kids who were more capable of using a handgun safely than many adults, but I hate to advise anyone to do something that may be at least technically illegal.

Comment

hunt fish trap thank you very much for telling me this i did relize that you had to be 21 to legaly own a handgun and "carry" it if you got a carry permit. what i did not relize is that the "carry" rule also was implied on your own property. the reason being is that well its your own property and that even though i know you have to be 18 to legally own A shotgun or rifle you can still use it at the age of 12 (correct me if im wrong) and then you can hunt alone when you turn 14. now back to the carry thing what exactly could i do with it and what would be the cases where i could actually use it and yes i am 13 right now but am turning 14 in a couple weeks. THANKS

Comment

Blake, I took this off of the MN DNR regs. I hope it helps.

Minors 13 years old and younger must be supervised when handling a firearm. At age 14 and 15, a minor may possess a shotgun or rifle without supervision if the minor has a firearms safety certificate. At age 16 and 17, a minor may possess a shotgun or rifle without supervision or a certificate. (Minn. Stat. § 97B.021, subd. 1)
              A person under age 18 generally may not possess a pistol or assault weapon unless supervised (see below for exceptions). (Minn. Stat. § 624.713, subd. 1(1)) A person under the age of 21 may not obtain a permit to carry a pistol and may not use in Minnesota any concealed-carry permit issued by another state. (Minn. Stat. § 624.714, subd. 16)
              Minors 13 years old and younger must be accompanied by a parent or guardian when hunting. Youth are permitted to hunt alone beginning at age 14, provided the person possesses a firearms safety certificate. (Minn. Stat. § 97B.021)
              Shotguns and Rifles. Except when hunting, a minor under age 16 generally may not possess a shotgun or rifle without being accompanied by a parent or guardian. The primary exception is again for a 14- or 15-year-old who has a firearms safety certificate. Other exceptions include: when the minor is on a parent or guardian’s residential property; when participating in supervised target shooting; and when participating in a firearms safety program. (Minn. Stat. § 97B.021)
              Pistols and Assault Weapons. A minor under age 18 generally may not possess a pistol or assault weapon, except under the supervision of a parent or guardian. Other exceptions include: while engaged in an official military drill; during supervised practice at an approved shooting range; and while participating in a state-approved marksmanship or safety program. (Minn. Stat. § 624.713, subd. 1)

Comment

Suggest you start saving for your 21st birthday as I did... My first pistol purchase was on my 21st birthday I got a MarkII Ruger which I still have with 6" semi taper target barrel and adjustable sights(the 4" with fixed sights sux)it still works great I'm 67 now.Hopefully (given the current Demo-nazi-crat gun grabbing agenda) you can save up and purchase one on your 21st also. I have an H&R revolver with a 12" barrel and 22Lr and 22WMR cylinders no longer in MFG but hell of a pistol the Browning Buckmark semi auto is very accurate. The H&R 999 Sportsman 9 shot 22lr is nice also but again out of production... I'd recommend you stick with 6" or longer barrels for accuracy at distance, 4'and 2' barrels are close combat type weapons and NFG for much over 12 to 20 feet with any type of reliable accuracy. For your Large Critter problem the 45-70 6 shot 8"barrel revolver I have will kill anything on the N.American continent and can shoot.410 shells but a bit large and heavy. Suggest you look at the Judge by Taurus with the 6" barrel shoots 45 long colt and .410 shot shells slugs buckshot bird shot ought to discourage any catamount to mountain lion lurking about and pretty much anything else...

Comment

OOPS!! line 12 should reed 4"and 2" barrels

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget