Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dad says that scratches and knicks on things give it character; I'm the opposite especially with guns. I use Hoppes "black la

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dad says that scratches and knicks on things give it character; I'm the opposite especially with guns. I use Hoppes "black la

My dad says that scratches and knicks on things give it character; I'm the opposite especially with guns. I use Hoppes "black label" oil to keep rust off the action and barrels and I use Blue Wondow Armadillo wood shine and conditioner on the wood to keep my guns nice both inside and out. A few of my guns from sticks and trees and from the metal of the treestand got marked up and it drives me crazy. I try to be careful but stuff happens. What can I use to A: Keep my guns well lubed and cleaned (things you use) and B: What can I use to fix imperfections? Thanks fellas

Maybe it’s a sentimental old guy thing, but I agree with your dad. I think the nicks and scratches that happen during use add to the character of a gun. Insect repellent on my kids took off hand and cheek shaped finish on the 870 youth 20 gauge they both grew up shooting. Instead of a flaw, I see it as a visual history of where the gun has been and the memories tied to it. To me, those are better than little handprints in concrete. I just gave my oldest son my well used BPS. It is functionally perfect, but is missing all of the bluing on and around the thumb safety. I hope he sees this for what it is and never fixes it. Rust, on the other hand is a sign of neglect of a gun and should never be allowed to happen. I use Hoppe’s cleaning products and Rem oil to maintain my guns.

Comment

If the marks are on blued metal parts, you could use steel wool to remove them, and then re-blue it. For dings in wood, there's not much to do if they're very bad/deep, but for slight nicks you can sometimes steam the wood to remove them.
      I am admittedly not the best one to ask about gun maintenance though, because the only parts of my guns that I am religious about keeping clean are the inside of the barrel, and the action. The way I see it, how the outside of a gun looks doesn't affect its accuracy/performance at all, and since none of my firearms were pieces of art to begin with, a few marks here and there don't hurt 'em any.

Comment

In the past, I treated my guns as if they were a work of art. But now, they are treated as a tool.

Comment

what your dad is really trying to tell you is trying to keep a gun pristine while usingit as a tool that it was designed for isn't going to happen,while keeping a weapon clean and in working order is the true value of any weapon, unless you just want to show case your weapons as a hobby.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget