Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am building a turkey gun for the up coming season. I wanted somthing ugly, reliable, short, and light. I didn't want to have t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am building a turkey gun for the up coming season. I wanted somthing ugly, reliable, short, and light. I didn't want to have t

I am building a turkey gun for the up coming season. I wanted somthing ugly, reliable, short, and light. I didn't want to have to worry about it in rainy conditions. I found an NEF 12 ga and put a new 24" barrel chambered for 3.5" shells and threaded for choke tubes. I want to put better sights on it, but am having a hard time finding any that will go on a plain barrel. They all seem to attach to the rib. I do not want a red dot or scope of any kind. Does any one have any suggestions on a sight that they have had luck with, or choke tubes that they like?

There are open sights that can be mounted on a NEF (my favorite is Fire Sights) or you could use a handgun scope mounted forward thus allowing you to shoot with both eyes open.
    Or do as I do for turkey hunting and shoot instinctively.
    Good hunting.
    later,
    charlie

Comment

What's wrong with the regular bead? That's all I've ever used for turkey hunting, and it's never caused me to miss.

Comment

What I did on my single shot shotgun was borrow some of my mom's bright red nail polish and paint a few coats on the front bead; it really helped it stand out. If you wanted to get really funky with it, go to a craft store and get a bright red or green even car model paint and dab it onto the bead. As for chokes I would strongly suggest Kick's Chokes Gobblin Thunder. Excellent ported choke. If you are gonna do some hunting in woods, just a reminder, put choke tube grease on everytime you change them out and as always, check the pattern of the choke with different brand shells. Hope this helps!

Comment

You might want to take a look at hivizsights.com for sights. They have several that might fit your needs.

Comment

Buckeye - check out the full-barrel lights from Hi-Viz. I got one for a 20-gauge New England Firearms break-open. They fit tightly and are a good, cheap alternative to doctoring the front bead. Trouble is, they're sort of bulky and can break off or rotate unless you add a drop of Lok-Tite or other adhesive to the barrel before you snap on the sight.
            Andrew McKean

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
              by jhjimbo
              If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
              Today, 02:15 PM
            • Pay it forward
              by fitch270
              I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
              10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
            • Reloading Gear Order
              by fitch270
              I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
              10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
            • Ruger Oops! Round 2
              by dewman
              Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
              10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
            • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
              by Ernie
              Any handgun hunters here?
              Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
              10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X