Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've dropped the thought of buying the new rifle and just thought about turning my mosin into a hunting rifle. I think I will st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've dropped the thought of buying the new rifle and just thought about turning my mosin into a hunting rifle. I think I will st

I've dropped the thought of buying the new rifle and just thought about turning my mosin into a hunting rifle. I think I will stick with the original stock but add a scope. should I get a ler rifle scope a pistol scope a pu scope (the one the snipers actually used.) or get a regular scope? should I get a bent bolt or keep it stock? and what mount should I get? and lease tell me the make and model of the things you recommend

Stick with the iron sights. Your rifle doesn't have enough range to require a scope.
    -If you must get a scope get a modern hunting scope.

Comment

JM, I would very respectfully disagree with you on the "range" of a mosin to use a scope(although accuracy might be a concern?). Other than that I would probably also leave it as an iron sighted system, as JM advised go with a modern rifle for scoped hunting.

If you go with a modern, I would highly recommend taking a look at the Stevens model 200 rifle. Look around and buy a used one locally to you if possible. It will probably be about the best bang for your buck.

Comment

I would base your decision on how accurate your rifle is with the iron sights. If you can shoot good groups without a scope then a scope might work for you. This particular 7.62 round is similar ballistically to the 308 Win from what I have read. As far as mounting a scope on a Mosin Nagant, I would have no ideas what is available for it.

Comment

@HBhunter,
          I guess my opinion on ranges are different than yours. I am probably comfortable shooting further than most would be with iron sights so sorry for that.

Comment

I agree with DSM, if it shows good promise with the open sights, a scope would probably be a good investment, unless you are a much better shot with the open sights than I (and most other people, JM not included apparently!) are.

Comment

I found this at Brownell's: ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY - MOISIN NAGANT SCOPE MOUNTING SYSTEM. About $55. It includes a modified bolt handle to accomodate your scope and instructions on exchanging the handle. Requires cutting.

Comment

If you search on e-Bay "there's a guy" that makes/sells scope mounts made specifically for the Mosin that requires no retro-fitting as it's attached by simply removing the pin and replacing the back sight. I believe the cost is around $45 (and free shipping) the last time I checked. You'll need to specify ring size (25mm or 30mm) as he offers both but only includes 1 set. I believe BullseyeXpress is the name of his company.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget