Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so i was all happy to shoot my gun today and well i know its not sticky bolt because when i pushed the bullet forward into the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so i was all happy to shoot my gun today and well i know its not sticky bolt because when i pushed the bullet forward into the

so i was all happy to shoot my gun today and well i know its not sticky bolt because when i pushed the bullet forward into the chamber it was fine until i tried to close it shut. i made sure i pushed the bolt fully forward and then i had to push it down really really hard. i was worried so i ejected it and then i put in another round same thing. i worried to fire it but then did and thank god nothing blew up but when i tried to open it woooahh super hard. that may be sticky bolt but we did heat gun it down really good. what do i do?

Probably some cosmoline left over on the bolt/inside the bolt. You will probably need to dissasemble the bolt and clean it all real good(or have a gunsmith do it for you).
    -One thing you could try is shooting it until the gun gets hot and see if any of the cosmoline melts and keep wiping it away if it does(pure guess, no idea if this would work).

Comment

I appreciate all the help but we did disassemble the gun and the bolt and heat gun it down very well. the reason I don't fully think it is sticky bolt is that it is hard to close now the opening part could be but why is it so hard to close.

Comment

Did you take the bolt itself apart and oil each part?

Comment

BTW, based on past experiences I am guessing the extractor is why the bolt wont close.

Comment

Yesi did pull it into the three pieces and oiled it down . Some things that i have read is that there could be a burr in the chamber. I used a light to check inside the chamber in mine and my brothers his is pretty easy to close while mine is a bugger ( only with a bullet placed in not when it's unloaded then it's fine.) but my brothers has a very smooth surface on the place where the barrel starts ( the wall around the tickling not the actual rifling .) while mine in that same area is rough and crapy is this what they Mean by a but in the chamber? Thanks.

Comment

I still think it is the extractor. That's why it is easy to work without a bullet in the rifle, but hard with a bullet. I'm not familiar with what the rifle looks like exactly, but try to keep an eye on the extractor while closing the bolt and see if it hangs up once it touches the casing(use the empty casing you shot earlier today). I'm guessing the extractor got bent in a little bit.

Comment

Could be a head space problem or bad brass. If your bolt is real hard to close over a round I would caution shooting it.

Comment

ok but will it damage the gun more with the empty round cause with my brothers Remington 700 adl .223 he tried to just show how to work the action to a friend with a empty casing and it got stuck and he had to take a cleaning rod to push it out. and idduckhntr the bolt is really hard to close. I was really afraid to shoot it but I did three times but I am still afraid. it left scratch marks in the casing so it might be a burr. I don't know what a burr in a chamber is but on the right side of the place were the barrel is not in the riffling but the wall kind of right next to it where the casing would touch not the bullet is really rough like think of clay and take a knife to it and score it you know how if you let it dry it is hard with those little little little balls and cuts that are really small and sharp that's what there like compared to my brothers is smooth and flat. the bolt heads are pretty much the same though my brothers might be a little smoother.

Comment

Where are the cases getting 'scratched'?
                    -Are you using surplus ammo or something else?

Comment

no and thats what is weird its this stuff that is a white box and says " 7,62x54R 148 GR. FMJ NON-CORROSIVE BERDAN PRIMED" an yes it says 7,62x54R not 7.62x54R

Comment

and it is russian but thats all it says.

Comment

-You should try shooting some of the surplus ammunition.
                          -Where is the ammunition getting scratched when closing/opening the bolt?

Comment

Also, 7,62 and 7.62 is the same thing. English speaking countries use a period when dealing with numbers, and places such as Russia use a comma.

Comment

Could be just a factory defect, these were not works of art, remember. It should safe, if nothing happened the first time you shot it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lost some cover; pic heavy
                                by fitch270
                                ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                                Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              • Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                by fitch270
                                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                by dewman
                                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X