Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Savage model 11 and I absolutely love it. I am thinking of getting a 22-250. I am looking at Savage Axis. Be honest. Am

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Savage model 11 and I absolutely love it. I am thinking of getting a 22-250. I am looking at Savage Axis. Be honest. Am

I have a Savage model 11 and I absolutely love it. I am thinking of getting a 22-250. I am looking at Savage Axis. Be honest. Am I getting what I pay for or is this a quality rifle for the price? Also, Axis does not come with the Accutrigger. Is this a necessary item or is it expendable? Any advice is appreciated!

i have never shot or held a savage axis but two of my freinds(twins) have it in .243 win and really like it. i dont know about the accutrigger all i know is the older savages had the worst triggers in the world but if it is a new savage it should be great. also make sure you hold the axis first i have heard it is very bone like (skinny). the other thing is the bolt alighnment with the stock. if you really like your other savage then buy that in that cal. by the way what will you be shooting with the 22-250 coyotes? deer?

Comment

That's good info Blake, I plan on using it for coyote and for target shooting. I am still debating back and forth on the 22-250 and the 223, everyone keeps saying 22-250.

Comment

I agree with Blake. I believe you will be more satisfied with a higher grade Savage with the Accutrigger and more likely to own the rifle for the long haul. The Axis is bare bones to make that good price.

Comment

I've shot a few rifles with accu triggers, and honestly they are nice but not necessary. How long did people go without them and still make the shots when they counted. A good trigger can help but it won't make you any better if you aren't familiar with the firearm. In reality you should pick a rifle that fits you and that you will be happy with. That's how I've bought guns and it works.

Comment

thanks officerdom1987. i would need to know what ranges you are planing on shooting at. if you are shooting any where over 350 yards you should get a .22-250. the only reason i say at 350 yards is because well a .223 will be shooting off about 5 inches because of most likely weather. the .223 and 22-250 will be around the same at 150-200 yards mabey a little more but after that the .223 just gets carried by the wind and losses power ( if it is cheap im mean russian stuff usualy but even with good stuff it will be off a bit.) while the 22-250 will still have enough power to go in and out of a coyote and 350 + yards while the .223 will probably only hold up at 300 yards. the other reason why you might want the .223 is that there is so much millitary surplus ammo because they shoot it out of the m16a4 and the m4a1. so ammo for target shooting and plinking around should not be any problem. also the mill surp is 55gr just like the hornady v-max bullets like i shoot for coyotes so in other words you could sight in your gun with mill surp and then take one shot of your expensive stuff just to make sure its sighted in. if you are selling the pelts/furs you probably dont want a 22-250 unless you hand load they are just to hot and they blow coyotes and foxes to pieces. the other thing is that even if you get some remington pmc 22-250 bullets they are like just as much as big game bullets(30-06) or just a little less around here. also if you like to see your animal get shot and fall to the ground the .223 has so little recoil ( compare to .410 shotgun or a little more) that even if you are bad with recoil you will be able to recover and see it hit and drop. also if you are looking at shooting at anything over 250 or 300 yards i would look at the model 10/110 predator hunter max1. or the model 10 predator hunter brush. that is there predator hunting guns that have the heavy barells. also they might not work if you hunt in snowy places like me unless you hunt in cat tails or prarie grass be cause the predator hunter brush hunter has a camo stock and the predator hunter brush has a camo stock and the barrel and bolt handel are camo too.

Comment

thanks officerdom1987. i would need to know what ranges you are planing on shooting at. if you are shooting any where over 350 yards you should get a .22-250. the only reason i say at 350 yards is because well a .223 will be shooting off about 5 inches because of most likely weather. the .223 and 22-250 will be around the same at 150-200 yards mabey a little more but after that the .223 just gets carried by the wind and losses power ( if it is cheap im mean russian stuff usualy but even with good stuff it will be off a bit.) while the 22-250 will still have enough power to go in and out of a coyote and 350 + yards while the .223 will probably only hold up at 300 yards. the other reason why you might want the .223 is that there is so much millitary surplus ammo because they shoot it out of the m16a4 and the m4a1. so ammo for target shooting and plinking around should not be any problem. also the mill surp is 55gr just like the hornady v-max bullets like i shoot for coyotes so in other words you could sight in your gun with mill surp and then take one shot of your expensive stuff just to make sure its sighted in. if you are selling the pelts/furs you probably dont want a 22-250 unless you hand load they are just to hot and they blow coyotes and foxes to pieces. the other thing is that even if you get some remington pmc 22-250 bullets they are like just as much as big game bullets(30-06) or just a little less around here. also if you like to see your animal get shot and fall to the ground the .223 has so little recoil ( compare to .410 shotgun or a little more) that even if you are bad with recoil you will be able to recover and see it hit and drop. also if you are looking at shooting at anything over 250 or 300 yards i would look at the model 10/110 predator hunter max1. or the model 10 predator hunter brush. that is there predator hunting guns that have the heavy barells. also they might not work if you hunt in snowy places like me unless you hunt in cat tails or prarie grass be cause the predator hunter brush hunter has a camo stock and the predator hunter brush has a camo stock and the barrel and bolt handel are camo too.

Comment

sorry for posting two!

Comment

I highly recommend any Savage rifle, I think they're as good a manufacturer as there is operating at the moment. With that being said, I think the Accutrigger is worth paying a bit more for, it is awesome. I've never shot a non-Accutrigger Savage, but I know they used to have a reputation for horrible triggers, for what it's worth.
                  I would definitely get a .22-250 over a .223 if your main target will be coyotes. There are a number of regular factory loads that won't tear up the pelt too bad, and the .22-250 is much flatter-shooting and harder-hitting than the .223 at ranges beyond 300 yards.

Comment

Get the Accutrigger. If you don't, you'll wish you had later. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lost some cover; pic heavy
                      by fitch270
                      ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                      Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    • Covid-19
                      by jhjimbo
                      Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                      09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                    • Spur of the moment rifle
                      by Amflyer
                      I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                      09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                    • The $20 Shooting Shack
                      by fitch270
                      So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                      09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                    • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                      by dewman
                      one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                      09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X