Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

browning x-bolt hunter in 30-06? anythoughts mainly going to use it for coyote and then for the occational time i go with freind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Young
    replied
    I have a Remington 700. I think the X Bolt feed and trigger are pretty darn smooth. The trigger is smooth on the Remington. That is one reason I am buying one. I have both wood and synthetic stocks on my guns. This one has a beautiful stock and it is still light weight. The reality is if you have a wood stock it is going to get dinged and scratched whether you use it for shooting or hunting. The Walnut on this gun really pops so that is what I am getting. If you go synthetic it won't get scratched up and it will clean up pretty well. You can always buy a Boyd stock later if you go synthetic and change your mind.

Leave a comment:

• NM
    replied
    The 308 has the same bullet selection as the -06. You may want to look into a Savage. I really like mine. Try different rifles and find the one that feels the best.

Leave a comment:

• blake g
    replied
    so i got the cal 30-06 over the .308 and .270. i got it narrowed down to mainly one gun (x-bolt) but still am up to hearing about the mod 70. just if heart about the better accuracey of the x-bolt. its got a nice peice of glass i hear. i really want the wood and i am leaning towards that but i dont know how well it could hold up in snow.

Leave a comment:

• blake g
    replied
    He didn't say why he's might just not like the design. I asked what would be the best out of the box gun the Winchester model 70 the Remington 700 and the browning A bolt or x-bolt. He said that the browning x-bolt is very accurate rich out of the box and be the best for you to shoot rich out of the box. He told me the advantages of the xbox over the a bolt and the new safety features. I do like the action on my dads shoot 30-06 and when I was shopping around for a .243 the. X bolt was one of my options would have bought it just to expensive. But I can't remember how I liked it that well but if it's anything like my dads a bolt it's one of the smoothest actions ever.

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    I don't know why he would knock the current Mod 70's either. The x-bolt you describe should be a good all round rifle and I too prefer the 30-06 over a 308. I really don't think shooting coyotes would be a problem if you stick with the heavier bullets. They won't expand much when they hit. I would stay away from light weight hollow points.

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    I do not own an x-bolt, but Browning rifle's are very popular in the area I hunt.
    -Did your local gun dealer say why he doesn't like the Model 70? I love the Model 70.

Leave a comment:

• blake g
    replied
    ok thanks i kinda thought the same. also do you like the x bolt my other option would be the winchester model 70 but my local gun store owner who hunts a ton said that would be at the bottom of his list (winchester model 70, remington 700, tikka t3, browning a-bolt, browning x-bolt.) so i dont know which to get. p.s. my dad has a browning a-bolt in 30-06 it is one that was made in japan but i love the gun the only problem is is that the butt plate is a plastic one instead of a nice rubber one so in other words 2 rounds out of that last year late 12 early 13 (midd late 13 right now)would give me bruises on my arm and would well kinda hurt.

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    -As long as you don't mind risking the fur on the coyote I would stick with the .30-06.
    -I would buy the wood stock and take good care of it, but that is only because I like the look of wood(synthetic is much more versatile). I am guessing most people will disagree with my opinion and suggest the synthetic stock though.

Leave a comment:

• blake g
    replied
    so which should i buy right off the bat synthetic(composite as browning states) or the wood (hunter) and do you think the 30-06 is the best?

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    -Might tear up a coyote, so not the best choice if you are wanting to keep the hide.
    -I know what you mean about the wood stock. I am the same way, but synthetic stocks are so much more durable.
    -The browning x-bolt is a popular rifle, so you could always buy another stock in the future if needed.

Leave a comment:

• browning x-bolt hunter in 30-06? anythoughts mainly going to use it for coyote and then for the occational time i go with freind

browning x-bolt hunter in 30-06? anythoughts mainly going to use it for coyote and then for the occational time i go with freinds to there cabins to shoot deer and if i ever go elk hunting its comming with. i like the wood but will it get screwed up in the snowy winters. i like the 30-06 over the .270 and .308 because of bullet selection but i am still not for sure i might get a synthetic but realy dont want to! wood is just the love of my life

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
    by jhjimbo
    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
    Yesterday, 02:15 PM
  • Pay it forward
    by fitch270
    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
  • Reloading Gear Order
    by fitch270
    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
  • Ruger Oops! Round 2
    by dewman
    Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
    10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
  • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
    by Ernie
    Any handgun hunters here?
    Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
    10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X