Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am mounting a scope my first time on a Savage 304E. I think I have everything done about right but I keep reading I should NOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am mounting a scope my first time on a Savage 304E. I think I have everything done about right but I keep reading I should NOT

I am mounting a scope my first time on a Savage 304E. I think I have everything done about right but I keep reading I should NOT loctite the screws for the scope rings, just the base screws. Any input on this would help me and if you have any tips for the entire process that I may not know...I'm all ears (well eyes). Thanks!

Yeah, don't put any loctite on the scope rings. Just slowly tighten each screw one at a time(same amount of turns on each screw). Ideally you would have a torque wrench to make sure that you do not bend the scope at all(over tighten). What caliber is the rifle? A higher caliber requires a tighter screw.

Comment

it is a .30-30, JM. I'm reading people putting tape inside the rings or removing the blueing inside them too. All this crazy stuff I never heard before. Know anything about it?

Comment

A lot of scopes actually come with a "tape" on the inside of the rings. With low cost scopes/rings they say it can help prevent slipping/rings marks on scope, but by no means is it required. I believe removing the bluing is called "lapping." Again this is not necessary.

Comment

You never use loctite on the rings, only bases. I use the blue variety of loctite on the bases so if I ever want to take them off I can. If you buy good rings and bases you shouldn't need that tape on the inside, IMO. One more caution is to not over torque those ring screws.

Comment

I never use loctite on my bases or rings, and I don't have any problems with either one slipping.

Comment

There are several different strengths of Loctite, designated by the different colors. The lighter strength types would be perfectly fine for use on scope rings. I have also heard people use a little dab of clear nail polish, just to make sure their screws don't loosen when they shouldn't.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget