Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people here shoot at animals further than 500 yards away? If not, then why are so many people addicted to 'Flat Shootin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people here shoot at animals further than 500 yards away? If not, then why are so many people addicted to 'Flat Shootin

How many people here shoot at animals further than 500 yards away? If not, then why are so many people addicted to 'Flat Shooting Rifles'?

-I've taken a few shots at 500+ yards (coyotes).
    -I think people just like the idea of a flat shooting rifle(When your looking at an animal you are looking directly at it, so you may not always notice the branch a few inches above your line of sight that a bullet may hit). A flat shooting rifle allows for short range shots, but if you ever want to take a 500+ yard shot you would have the ability to.
    -Personally I like shooting my .30-30 (round bullet) for that reason. I'm not able to take those long shots which I feel would take away from the hunt. I limit myself to about 150 yards now, and it would have to be a big buck(not about antlers for me, but they are always a nice bonus)/need meat in freezer for me to shoot that far.

Comment

As far as looking directly at an animal, I believe the term is point blank range. Most people give this as a point of impact not more than 3" above or below the line of sight.
      For a .308, this is about 265 yards. For a 7MM Mag, its about 310 yards.
      So, if a person wants to deal with a shoulder blasting, ear traumatising cannon, he can gain around 40 more yards before having to elevate his rifle for the shot.
      I don't believe the magnums are worth it.

Comment

The farthest shot I've ever taken at an animal was about 210 yards, on a deer. Quite frankly, I don't own a gun capable of ethical accuracy on deer sized game beyond about 250, and that only in absolutely perfect conditions. On smaller varmints, I probably have a long of about 150, since I basically only use rimfires.
        As far as an addiction to flat shooting rifle goes, I don't have a problem with some people's obsession with them, as long as they realize that having a flat shooting gun means they CAN take longer shots, it doesn't necessarily mean they SHOULD.

Comment

nothing wrong with flat shooting rifles.The gun is only as good as the shooters ability .As me my furthest shot is only 204 yds with 30.06 150gr hornady (whitetail),most of my shots are less than 100yds but when hunt with a gun my set up is like Im bow hunting,close is good no reasons for missing or injuring the animal (you owe them that).But I imagine out west you may need those flat shooting guns,just my 2 cents....

Comment

All my rifles are sighted 3in high @ a 100yrds this puts my 243 & 308 dead on @ 300yrds. My 7mm WBY is dead on at 400yrds.

Comment

500 is the longest i have taken on an animal, and the super "flat" shooting rifles aren't even necessary as long as you know your elevation adjustments..the toughest part is judging the wind. for your average bullet, every 1 mph of full value wind will move the bullet 3" at 600 yd, and sometimes wind is blowing different diretions at different ranges

Comment

Tyler is right, the wind is the greatest adjustment. I will not shoot more than 400 yards at a game animal, but I do like to shoot long on the range, and I know some fellows who do it very well. The upside of using the flat-shooting rifles is that wind tends to affect them less at distance.

Comment

500yds why not 1000 hey while we are at it lets shoot game at ranges that would require an out of state tag! Let's be honest very few of us ever shoot beyond 200yds and those that do are well trained and practiced riflemen or idiots. We like the flat shooters because we feel more accomplished punching those tiny holes in the paper at 400yds can we make those longer shots probably do we really need to NO!

Comment

300 yds is my limit. I feel comfortable taking that shot if the wind isn't much of a factor. After reading Tyler Freel's latest blog I guess I would need tp practice longer shots for sheep hunting. His pictures lead me to believe that in the high mountains you can run out of stalking cover and time.

Comment

Hunting in the American southwest a flat shooting rifle is a must. Pronghorns have vision that is like looking thru a 16 power scope and live in flat country. Many muleys live in sage and chapparal country. Nelson/desert bighorns live where you have to shoot from ridge to ridge most of the time. I'm not saying you CAN'T stalk these animals but with the short seasons and the difficulty of drawing a tag for them, you want as much in YOUR favor as you can manage.

Comment

I think Tyler got to the meat of my question. Even fast shooting rifles have to be elevated for longer shots. Some of the magnums may retain more killing power at distances, but most rifles are capable of killing at distances further than most peole can or should shoot.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                          by fitch270
                          Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                          Yesterday, 05:55 PM
                        • Grips and stocks
                          by dewman
                          so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                          Yesterday, 08:55 AM
                        • Youth pheasant hike
                          by fitch270
                          Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                          09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                        • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                          by fitch270
                          Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                          09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                        • Unusual Sound
                          by jhjimbo
                          At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                          09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X