Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok i know i just asked a question about .22lrs in semi auto form but i was wondering if like a bolt action could work the reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok i know i just asked a question about .22lrs in semi auto form but i was wondering if like a bolt action could work the reason

ok i know i just asked a question about .22lrs in semi auto form but i was wondering if like a bolt action could work the reason being is that relisticly speaking a bolt action is stronger more reliable more acurate and well more realistic than a semi auto.i have nothing against semi autos besides them always jamming up it seems. yes i have tried different ammos and cleaned them very well but they always jam one is a remington mowhawk (my brothers) and the other is a winchester 290 (my dads) both are in great condition. on the other hand i have my grandpas marlin model 80 wich also has a problem it always falures to eject it always sticks in the bolt unless you work the bolt realy fast. ok but back to my question would a bolt action .22lr work for shooting a coyote in the treestand at like 50yards or less and well i would be doing the stuff all of you guy would be doing plinking target practice and small game hunting. if you ould please tell me what gun or guns woud work what brand model and style and please list why you like this gun or think that it would work well for what i am doing thanks.

If you are going to get a bolt action get either a .17HMR or a .22MAG. A .22LR will work at 50 yards on a coyote with a headshot, but not much room for error(and I do not care how good of a shot you think you are, everyone makes mistakes). Both a .22Mag and .17HMR will reach out to 100 yards and kill a coyote.

Comment

I have always been a fan of Marlin small bore barrels. I am not a fan of their auto actions, however. I now have a .17 HMR Marlin bolt action. I couldn't ask for a better shooting gun! The trigger is a little rough, but you can get used to it.
      If you get a bolt action rifle, practice working the action while still aimed at your target. With a little practice you can be almost as fast as an auto.
      And yes, .17 HMR ammo costs more, but I use a lot less of them to get the job done!

Comment

Ruger M77/22 or M77/22 Mag. There are plenty of excellent bolt action 22 rifles out there. Check Savage out as well.

Comment

I will second JM on the 22mag or 17hmr. I have a Savage model 93 22mag (A.K.A. MKII for 22l.r.) it comes stock with accutrigger(sweet), the stock is something to be desired but looking at boyds for a nice laminate, has fluted B-BRL, it shoots great, and is cheap I got mine for $239 with tax in that price from Dicks Sporting Goods. The only thing I can complain about it is the mags only come in 5 round and they are $22+. You wouldn't go wrong with it.

Comment

-It's just personal preference, but I for one like bolt actions better than semi autos. Each have their advantages, but for my uses, the bolt action wins out easily.
            -If you are planning on using it mostly for coyotes, then I would go along with Dcast, and recommend getting a Savage 93 in .22 Magnum. All the newer Savage rimfires have the Accutrigger, which is awesome, and they are all reliable tack-drivers.
            -If on the other hand, you are going to be using it mostly for small game hunting and target shooting, and if you want a bolt action, I would actually recommend you get a Savage Mark II, in .22 LR. The other guys are correct, a .22 Mag or .17 HMR would be better for coyotes, but the .22 LR is much better for small game hunting and plinking. So it really comes down to what you anticipate using it for the most.

Comment

Well for your jamming semi problem, get a ruger 10/22 because you can feed them any round and wont jam, Ik many guys with the same feelings towards em, and for a bolt action marlin has always made a good 22 mag bolt action,

Comment

ok it seems like people like marlins and savages the most but what actuall type is it like for the savage mark II the g or the f or bv or what and what model of the marling and what configuration thanks

Comment

-I own the Savage MKII BV (Bull-barreled varmint), and I highly recommend it. The only potential problem with it for you is that it doesn't have any open sights. I never use open sights, so that's not a problem for me, but if you anticipate needing them, then I would get either the G or F models. As far as I know, the only difference between those is that the G comes with a wood stock.
                  -As far as the Savage model 93 (.22 Mag) goes, I don't know the different configurations, but I would say it's the same as with the MKII, get the bull-barreled varmint model if you don't think you'll need open sights, or if you think you will, get a model that has them.
                  -For the Marlin .22 Magnums, I have a 925M. It's a good gun, and I'm sure you'd be happy with it. The 982VS also looks good, if you don't need open sights.
                  -Hope all this helps.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                    by jhjimbo
                    Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                    09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                  • Spur of the moment rifle
                    by Amflyer
                    I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                    09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                  • The $20 Shooting Shack
                    by fitch270
                    So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                    09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                  • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                    by dewman
                    one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                    09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                  • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                    by dewman
                    So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                    09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X