Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok i know ive been asking ALOT of questions about .22lr's lately but ive narrowed it down to the ruger 10-22 and teh remington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok i know ive been asking ALOT of questions about .22lr's lately but ive narrowed it down to the ruger 10-22 and teh remington

ok i know ive been asking ALOT of questions about .22lr's lately but ive narrowed it down to the ruger 10-22 and teh remington 597. but i do like bolt actions more than semi autos because they are more accurate and more like real life in a sense but i dont know if im able to do that with what some of my intensions of using this. most of the things that you guys use them for plinking, small game hunting and cheap target/ behind the trigger time. But i would also be using it for those rare nights when the snow is coming down to hard and/or to windy for long range shots and i have to move into the woods and into the treestand. BUT I DONT WANT THIS TO BE A RUGER ALL THE WAY OR A 597 NEVER LOOK BACK. i would like if you guys could give me some logical advise and /or pros and cons of the guns or if you have othere guns you would recomend if you could give me the pros and cons of the guns. also if you could tell me what version of the rifle like for the ruger for instens the have the carbine, target and some others and if you could tell me what the best version of the rifle that you like is teh best for the things that i would be using it for thanks.

Perhaps you wish to savour the anticipation of buying a new rifle by prolonging the decision to do so? That being said I will venture two pieces of advice. The first in regard to a rifle and the second in regard to the value of being decisive.
    The Ruger is the most reliable auto 22 that I have ever used and its huge success is justified. It is relatively inexpensive and as accurate as the guy pulling the trigger allows it to be. Quit worrying about making a mistake because you can not go wrong with this one. Enjoy the good things you find about the rifle and choose to ignore the negative things. Abraham Lincoln once said that people are generally about as happy as they allow themselves to be. It has been my experience that folks who have difficulty making decisions end up second guessing their choices. They focus on insignificant flaws that deny them the simple pleasure of enjoying the good stuff. The point being, when there its so much right it is foolish to focus on the few things that may be wrong. Buy the damn gun and CHOOSE to be happy with your choice and you will be. Not a bad approach to things in general!!!

Comment

"but i do like bolt actions more than semi autos because they are more accurate" - Not true.
      -Both the 10/22 and the 597 are good choices. You can not go wrong with buying either one.

Comment

Far and away go with the ruger. 10/22s have and always will be about the best value plinker you can get. Reliable, accurate and cheap.
        I've had one for over a decade and keep lovin it. Mine is a carbine model in stainless/ laminent green w matching scope and sling. Never had problems, unlike my blr.

Comment

JM: It actually IS true that your average bolt action .22 is more accurate than your average semi-auto. Sure, there are bolt actions that are not as accurate, and there are semi-autos that are superbly accurate, but ON AVERAGE, bolt actions are more accurate. If you want proof, just look at the results of any of the OL gun tests.
          I have never personally used the 597, so I don't know anything about that gun. Both my brothers owned 10-22s, and they were fun, but not terribly accurate (the best groups they will do at 50 yards is 1.5 inches, and in comparison, my Savage MkII will shoot 1/2 inch groups at the same distance) The triggers were nothing to write home about either.
          With that being said, I think you'll be happy no matter what gun you get, Blake, as long as it's from one of the reliable, well-established manufacturers, Ruger, Marlin, Remington, etc.

Comment

Far and away go with the ruger. 10/22s have and always will be about the best value plinker you can get. Reliable, accurate and cheap.
            I've had one for over a decade and keep lovin it. Mine is a carbine model in stainless/ laminent green w matching scope and sling. Never had problems, unlike my blr.

Comment

Kody, you said all that needs to be.

Comment

@huntfish,
                Thanks for clearing that up for Blake. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I typed that since I know that the bolt action rifle is more accurate for the most part(like you said though, not always)...Maybe what I was trying to get at is that you do not need to worry about that in a .22. Both the semi-auto and bolt action will be accurate enough to get the job done.

Comment

Well said Kody. I think at this point Blake is in the situation of fearing to make a decision that might be wrong later on. That's life Blake, you win some you lose some.

Comment

25-06 and DSMbirdog, Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't like to sound like I am lecturing so I hoped my comments would not seem overbearing. I can get twisted around in making decisions just as easily as the next guy. Fortunately, I have learned that every decision made, right or wrong, brings you one step closer to being right, understanding a problem, solving a problem and/or getting the job done.

Comment

so you guys think that i will be fine with whatever gun i get.

Comment

Yes, for what it sounds you'll be using it for, I think any "good" .22,including the two you were looking at, will do the job for you.

Comment

Look at a Savage .17 HMR with thumbhole stock, bull barrel and Accu trigger. Two words. TAC DRIVER

Comment

cjohnsrud: I agree that the Savage .17 HMR is dead-nuts accurate, but Blake wanted whatever gun he got to be economical to shoot, and the .17 HMR is a lot more expensive than the .22 LR.

Comment

ok thanks guys also would a bolt action work for what i am using it for and what model/brand. the winchester wildcat and cz's look cool but i am on a budget and i dont have that much i only have about $120-130 but i could work off the rest if my parents let me. if you like any particular gun just name it and say why you like it thanks

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                by fitch270
                                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                by dewman
                                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                              • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                                by dewman
                                So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                                09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X