Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for all you reloaders. I am reloading .454 Casull pistol ammunition, I am NOT loading them hot at all; right at the rec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for all you reloaders. I am reloading .454 Casull pistol ammunition, I am NOT loading them hot at all; right at the rec

Question for all you reloaders. I am reloading .454 Casull pistol ammunition, I am NOT loading them hot at all; right at the recommended weight. I am continually having "Crimp Creep" where after one round is fired the other bullets in the other cylinders are pulling the bullet from the brass causing the gun not to cycle rounds. I have tried a harder crimp, almost to the point of buckling the case, and I am still having this issue. I have lately switched to the Lee Factory Crimp Die and it somewhat works but I am still worrysome. Any tips or tricks to help me? Thanks alot!

How old is the brass you are re-loading with? If it has been reloaded too many times it could of lost some of its strength/gotten stretched a tiny bit. Only explanation I can think of ATM.

Comment

dom, are you trying a roll or taper crimp? Is there a cannelure on the bullet you are shooting? Are you trimming the cases to all the same lengths, if they are not the same length the crimp won't be the same. Just some things off the top of my head that I have had to deal with over the years. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

Comment

Jm and 25-06, all brass is brand new Starline brass not shot prior. I am using a rolled crimp and all cases are the same length as well as the final product bullets made are within specificed OAL. I have heard it's not uncommon with this round (googled it) to be doing this; just thought maybe some of you seasoned veterans would know a trick or two to stop it besides applying alot of crimp from a factory crimp die.

Comment

Have you tried case crimping?

Comment

Whoops...for some reason wasn't showing your last post...so nevermind my last post.

Comment

What kind of bullet are you using.... lead or jacketed? I take it they are jacketed.
              Maybe there is lube on the bullets. You can tumble your bullets before you handload them to get rid of any factory lube they might use from swagging. I have done it with jacketed bullets. I'm not sure about lead bullets. Dry/clean your case neck area. Could be residue in that area that is making the bullet slip out.

Comment

One other question for you Dom. Are you crimping in the cannelure? If not, you should be. As you know moderate reloads should not be backing the bullet out.

Comment

Yes, the crimp is absolutely right in the bullet's cannelure.As for bullets, it is jacketed .452" Hornady XTP 300Gr. Is it a possibility that the Lee Dies aren't putting as much crimp on the bullet as say another brand? Or is it my Lock-N-Load press isn't using enough pressure as say a rock chucker?

Comment

I use the Lee crimp dies on seveal rifles I reload for and have never had an issue. Mine have an easily visible crimp. I honestly think you need to telephone or e-mail Lee for information to help out.

Comment

BTW my Lee crimp die is just for crimping.

Comment

DSM, you brought up an interesting point, when I spoke to Lee, they recommended the Factory Crimp Die. When I do use this die, it seems the ratio of crimps that get blown is alot smaller. Is it a possibility that my crimp die also seats the bullet as well and that possibly I need to do those stages seperate? Maybe the seating stage takes away from the crimping stage?

Comment

I believe you would have a better result by doing it separately. You can set the die to crimp separately after seating the bullet. I like their factory crimp dies because I get a good result just like out of the factory. I've never liked the crimp done by my regular dies.

Comment

Is all your brass the same length? If not, when you set up the crimp, you won't have the same amount of crimp, shorter brass =less crimp. Longer brass =more crimp. I know, it's pistol brass and no one sizes pistol brass. Won't hurt to check the case lengths and reload some that are +/- 0.001 - 0.003" og each other.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                              by fitch270
                              Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                              09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                            • Grips and stocks
                              by dewman
                              so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                              09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                            • Youth pheasant hike
                              by fitch270
                              Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                              09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                            • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                              by fitch270
                              Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                              09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                            • Unusual Sound
                              by jhjimbo
                              At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                              09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X