Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok im sorry i keep asking these questions its just i really want to know can you use a .22lr for shooting a coyote as backup or

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok im sorry i keep asking these questions its just i really want to know can you use a .22lr for shooting a coyote as backup or

ok im sorry i keep asking these questions its just i really want to know can you use a .22lr for shooting a coyote as backup or as a primary for a 25 yard or closer shot the reason i ask is because its cheap to shoot and there is such a variety and i like the look of ar's but i dont want to also have to buy a more expensive gun and buy more expensive ammo when i can get a .22lr ar for less and pay less for ammo to so can i use it for those reasons and not have to shoot the thing a million times or have it get injured and ruin my hunting experience. also i would be using iron sights like many have recomended but i may add a ACOG or red dot/holographic sight. thanks for all the help.

As long as it is semi-auto a .22LR will work. To me it sounds like you are mixed up on what particular gun you want to purchase. Take your time and make sure you pick out the one that is best for you(a gun you like and take care of will last your entire life, so spending the extra time picking one out wont hurt).

Comment

thanks jm i do like the looks of the colt m4 carbine the regular not the ops .22lr made by walther and imported by umarex. i was wondering if anyone knows anything about this gun or the m16 rifle not the scr version and if they are reliable accurate and durable. the m16 version has a longer barrel and fixed stock compared to the m4 which has a shorter barrel and teloscopic stock(6 position)what im really asking is weather you would rather have more accuracy or manuverability. the reason i ask is that when the snow comes down to hard or it gets to windy for open feild shooting i will be bringing this to the treestand instead. i will be using this rifle for hunting yotes in the tree stand and back up on the open feild. also should i use the irons or buy a ACOG,Red dot or Holographic sights. thanks for all the help and reply if you know anything good or bad about these rifles and which one you recomend or reply if you own one and have anything to say about it thanks.

Comment

Sounds like you already have made up your mind on the .22 lr,and seeking validation on it. Although there will always be optional preferences, ultimately it's what suits your needs and cost effectivness.

Comment

alright thanks and jm how are the iron sights on the 597?

Comment

Don't be sorry for asking questions. That's how you learn things and form your own opinions based on others thoughts on a subject. A 22 LR will kill a coyote but shot selection and placement with a 22 will be very important. There are a number of good 22 rifles out there. Personally I would lean towards a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 39. That is just me. I like the classics.

Comment

Well, if it's going to be 25 yards or less, then a .22 LR probably will work, since you can usually get a good head shot at that range. As far as a specific gun goes, I'm not going to venture an opinion, since a semi-auto would probably be your best bet, and I'm a bolt-action guy, so I don't know too much about semi-autos.
              If it's going to be used for close-range, quick-action scenarios, then a good red-dot or holographic sight would be just the ticket, IMO.

Comment

The problem I have with you wanting the m16 type rifle is that you seem to want it just for its looks(which is not a problem as long as it functions properly). As far as the Remington 597 goes, I have shot squirrels just before dark without having any trouble lining up the sights(mine came with fiber optic sights). You could hook a red dot scope to a Remington 597 as well(I have never used a red dot scope though, although I have thought about it).

Comment

-Like DSM said, do not stop asking questions.
                  -I know a lot of those style guns are sold on looks(a cheap gun that appeals to peoples eyes). I think a Remington 597 or a Ruger 10/22 would work better. The 597 comes with fiber optic iron sights that I can see in extremely low light. You will still be able to mount a red dot scope on a 597, but I would save money up for a few years to buy a high quality one.

Comment

-"I know a lot of those style guns are sold on looks(a cheap gun that appeals to peoples eyes)"
                    ---I am referring to the m16/ar/etc. style guns.

Comment

ok thanks and between the to versions the 597 and the 1022 there are many different versions of each gun and what one would you recomend for the things i would be using it for. thanks

Comment

Just the base model (Look on Cabelas website to see the base models).
                        -The Ruger 10/22 is extremely customizable(most after market products arent made by ruger though, so they may need to be bought online).
                        -Both the 597 and the 10/22 are good guns(cant go wrong buying either one), and both will be around $200 new.

Comment

BTW, if you end up buying a semi-auto .22 I suggest you have someone take it apart and clean it thoroughly before you shoot it(There are a ton of small parts, so I suggest you have someone who knows what they are doing do it). If you don't you may have multiple mis-fires/jams/etc. Another thing I would suggest is to slowly break the clips in. Just because it is a 10 round clip does not mean you have to stick in 10 rounds right from the start. Begin by only loading 4 or 5 to make sure everything cycles cleanly.

Comment

hey jm a new fleet farm just opend up next to my house and they have some guns and ammo there and guess what they have the remington 795 both with the fat bull barrel and the more skinny barrel that has iron sights which one would you recomend. also they have the 10-22 coming in soon and he said he would wait for the 10-22 but it could be a week to 6 weeks its more $210 while 597 fat barral was like $170 to $200 while the regular barrel with iron was like $140 so what shoul i do im going tonight to pick it up tonight if i get the 795 please help! thanks

Comment

-Im guessing that you mean the MARLIN 795.
                              -I think it will work for you. I would go ahead and buy it.
                              -I've never used one, but I do have friends who have brought them down squirrel hunting(and I know it is a popular choice).
                              -I still think you should have someone clean it and oil it from the inside out(Not guarenteeing that it will, but if you dont the gun may jam/mis-fire more often than it should). Firing it without getting it cleaned wont hurt, but if it starts jamming/mis-firing I would stop immediately and get it cleaned.
                              -Also, instead of buying bulk ammunition right away buy small quantities of different types of ammunition to find out which one shoots best out of your gun. May end up spending a few extra dollars(smaller quantities of .22 ammo is usually a bit more expensive for the price of each bullet), but it is worth it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X