Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i know i have asked a bunch of questions about .22s but does anyone know if the colt m4 carbine not the ops version but the regu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i know i have asked a bunch of questions about .22s but does anyone know if the colt m4 carbine not the ops version but the regu

i know i have asked a bunch of questions about .22s but does anyone know if the colt m4 carbine not the ops version but the regular one or m16 rifle not the spr the regular .22lrs made by carl walther and imported by umarex are any good for backup or primary rifle for coyotes. and which one would be better for back up in coyote hunting or hunting in the woods for stuff the m4 carbine or m16 rifle. the reason i ask is that the m16 rifle has like a 21.2 in (538 mm) barrel and a fixed stock while the m4 carbine has a teloscopic stock (6 position)and a 16.2 in (412 mm) barrel . also I might use this even for my primary rifle while shooting like 25 yards from a treestand in my woods instead of luging my .223 700 sps warmint with the bull barrel up a tree stand and try to manuever it and shoot something really close with a 4-12x40 scope. also the reason i want one of these over a m4 or m16 (ar15) is that the price of .223 has now gotten up to 50 cents a shell compared to a .22lr round at i think 5cents a round. also one more reason i like these over like the mossberg tactical .22 autoloader or S&W; M&P; 15-22 the ruger sr-22 or even the remington 597 vtr versions is because they arent like the real thing. compared to the colt versions wich are detailed just the same as the real thing down to the bayonet lug, the flash hidder and the dust cover. But thoes are just some of the great detail but all i need to know is if this i reliable accurate and is a good back up coyote gun when im using my big gun as primary and if it is good as a primary in a tree stand shootin about 25 yards mabey a little more at the most. thanks and sorry for all of the unneeded details and the little my review thing.

Blake, unless I can head shoot that Coyote I would want something with a little more Umph than a 22 LR. I would be looking at a minimum of a 22 Win Mag, one of the 17's, or a 204.

Comment

Coyote are pretty tough, I think you need to look at more Umph like DSM says. Check out a compact 223 like a model 7 Remington or one on the lines of that. Then buy a 22lr for plinking.

Comment

For the money you'd be looking at getting into one of those fancy AR .22's, you'd be much better off getting a bolt .22 mag, or even a 10/22. I've killed a pile of coyotes with that shooting stingers. But yeah, for a primary coyote gun, i'd try to get a .204 or .223

Comment

The best of the .22 AR-15s on the market right now is the S&W. It is ergonomically identical to the bigger .223 ARs (which the Ruger isn't) and it runs very reliably. I've put thousands of rounds through mine without any issues other than the tab on the magazine coming loose. This is a small fix.

In contrast, the Mossberg .22 fell apart in my hands while shooting it and the Umarex--which has nothing to do with Colt other than having the name on the side of the rifle--is also cheaply built.

Comment

Yep, like I've already said in your previous posts, I wouldn't recommend the .22 LR for coyotes, unless you had no choice or are taking strictly head shots. It'll work, but be prepared for a lot of tracking, and quite a few lost animals.
            The M4 is a good gun, although the factory sights are pretty crude for coyote hunting, but a full-size model like that would be awfully bulky for a back-up gun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
              by fitch270
              Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
              Yesterday, 05:55 PM
            • Grips and stocks
              by dewman
              so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
              Yesterday, 08:55 AM
            • Youth pheasant hike
              by fitch270
              Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
              09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
            • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
              by fitch270
              Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
              09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
            • Unusual Sound
              by jhjimbo
              At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
              09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X