Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any thoughts on a .22 lr or .22 mag in the henry leveraction h001 for backup while hunting coyotes. and how much will the differ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any thoughts on a .22 lr or .22 mag in the henry leveraction h001 for backup while hunting coyotes. and how much will the differ

any thoughts on a .22 lr or .22 mag in the henry leveraction h001 for backup while hunting coyotes. and how much will the difference in price of the bullets be. the reason i ask is that jm offered getting a winchester 94 in 30-30 but that would be a little expensive to shoot for the senario. also i looked at my local gun store for $319 and its the .22lr h001 thanks any help would be apperciated.

I think that gun in .22 MAG would be a good backup gun for 'yotes. While the .22 MAG is a little light for a primary predator gun, it should work great for backup to a larger-caliber centerfire.

Comment

thanks is it worth it to buy a 30-30 even though i have a .243for deer if thats what you mean by a bigger caliber and would the .22lr be to small also how will thes guns hold up in the dead of winter in mn wear temps can get to -20 degrees will they freeze up? also are these typees of guns you have to be very well like nice to or can they take some damage thanks.

Comment

No, if you already have a .243, I think a 30-30 would be an unnecessary addition, the .243 will work fine for coyotes, assuming it's accurate enough.
        I think the .22LR is too small for coyotes, as a backup it could work, but the .22 Mag would be much better, and it shouldn't be much if any more expensive.
        As far as the working in cold weather is concerned, I have never used a Henry lever-action, so I can't speak for that specific gun, but in general, if you have a quality gun, like a Henry, use good ammo, and keep it reasonably clean and properly lubricated, it should work fine in those temps.
        And for the durability, I wouldn't abuse any gun, but I don't think you would need to "baby it" either. Hope that all helps...

Comment

thank you so much how much differencew in ammo price will it be over time to thanks.

Comment

-For some reason the website has been messing up and will not load the entire page, so sorry for the late responce(better late than never I suppose).
            -If you are looking at getting a .22LR, then I believe a semi-auto rifle would be better than the lever action(I still suggest one with iron sights instead of a scope though). I think the only benefit from a lever action is when you are shooting a high powered rifle with a kick. You could get a Remington 597 or Ruger 10/22 for less than $319(Both the 597 and 10/22 are semi-auto rifles that come with a 10 round clip - Shoots as quick as you can pull the trigger).
            -As far as price goes, if you expect to be shooting a lot buy in bulk(Box of 525 or whatever instead of boxes of 50 or 100 - Higher initial cost, but the price per bullet is usually lower). Divide the number of rounds included by the price to determine the cost of each bullet(Even a 1cent difference adds up when you are shooting 1000s of times).
            -As far as deer go, I believe a .243 is good enough. You should be able to put them down without needing a follow up shot afterwords, so I do not believe getting a .30-30 as well will be of much benfit(besides giving you an extra rifle to hunt with). Some day when money is not an issue I do suggest you buy a high powered lever action rifle(A marlin or winchester .30-30). They are a lot of fun.

Comment

I failed to notice that it can get to -20 degrees where you live, so a semi-auto may not be the best choice. Ask around and see if others know whether or not a semi-auto rimfire will hold up in that cold weather. Unless a semi-auto will work where you hunt, I do not suggest buying a .22LR.
              -I know for a fact that lever action rifles do great in cold weather(Just a bit harder to work the lever for the first time, but just takes an extra bit of muscle). I can not say I have ever hunted in -20 weather, but I have hunted with one in weather around 0 degrees and I got off two or three quick shots on a doe without a problem.
              -You can get a Marlin 336 chambered in .30-30 for less than $400, so maybe save up and wait to buy one of these. From what I have read, a Henry seems to be more for target practice than a hunting rifle(From what I have seen the .22 Henry is often used to introduce children to shooting).

Comment

yea -20 degrees is over exagerated. its more like -10 degrees mabey -15 if its really cold but useually 0 to -5

Comment

The difference is price between .22 LR and .22 Mag kind of depends on the kind of ammo you're getting. Some of the higher-priced .22 LR stuff is almost as expensive as cheap .22 Mag rounds, but in general, you can expect to pay almost twice as much for good quality .22 Mag ammo as good quality .22 LR. It's one of the few downsides to the .22 Mag.
                  On a side note, if you do go for a .22 LR, I would not recommend getting the 10-22. Both of my brothers had them, and they were pretty inaccurate, had terrible triggers, and were prone to jamming.

Comment

As a general rule - .22LR will be a dime/shot, and a .22MAG will be a quarter/shot.
                    -I have never owned a 10/22, but many of my friends shoot them and never have problems. Maybe this is because they are older versions of the 10/22. I do own a Remington 597 and I enjoy it. It did have troubles at first, but after a few hundred rounds it shot without problems.

Comment

ok so if i went .22lr no lever action but.22mag yes? and thanks for all the info.

Comment

In my opinion, yes.

Comment

also would the semi auto work in the weather that we have -10 to 0 degrees or just not even go with the .22lr.

Comment

I have a Henry .22 LR that I have killed coyote's with, but they were head shots. I absolutely love that rifle. Not so sure about the whole -10 degrees thing. That sounds absolutely horrible. You should move south.

Comment

-It will work as long as you keep it dry(shouldn't be a problem in -10 degrees since everything is frozen).
                              -I think a Semi-auto .22 would be the best option for you to be honest(but you wont be able to shoot a mountain lion with it - no big game for that matter).
                              -I say check out the Remington 597(Not all that expensive; probably around $200 and you can buy extra 10 round clips for around $15 a piece).
                              -I still feel like for a back up gun the iron sights will suit you better than a scope would.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                                by fitch270
                                Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                                09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                              • Grips and stocks
                                by dewman
                                so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                                09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                              • Youth pheasant hike
                                by fitch270
                                Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                                09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                              • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                                by fitch270
                                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                                09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                              • Unusual Sound
                                by jhjimbo
                                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                                09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X