Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seems like everytime I want to start rifle shopping I get shown a synthetic stocked rifle first. Personally, I love the look of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seems like everytime I want to start rifle shopping I get shown a synthetic stocked rifle first. Personally, I love the look of

Seems like everytime I want to start rifle shopping I get shown a synthetic stocked rifle first. Personally, I love the look of a wooden stocked rifle except the pay now for them is outrageous! What's your opinions on synthetic stocks, pros and cons?

To start with, every rifle I own has a wooden stock. I just prefer the look and the feel of it(I also like all of the scratches I get on the stock walking through the woods). Synthetic stocks do not scratch as much as wood, and it will most likely last much longer.
    -One good thing is that tere are wooden aftermarket stocks being made for almost every rifle out there, so of you want a gun that only comes wih a synthetic stock you can gey a wooden stock later.

Comment

I don't think there are too many cons to a good quality synthetic stock, performance-wise. You don't have to worry about moisture, shrinking/expanding, or marring the finish.
      I do agree with you about a nice wood stock looking better, but I happen to fall into the camp that believes that if you are buying a gun mainly for its looks then you are buying it for the wrong reasons! (no offense, just my opinion)

Comment

I am definitely a fan of synthetic stocks. I like the look of wood, but they aren't ideal for most of the hunting I do here in AK. Synthetic stocks are lighter, more durable, longer lasting, and most importantly, are impervious to weather. A buddy of mine missed a huge Dall sheep because his wood stock swelled and put pressure on his barrel after we were rained on for a couple days.

Comment

I own both wood and synthetic stocked guns. Call me old school, but I like the wood better. Not only looks better but just speaking for myself, I have never had one let me down, and I have hunted in all kinds of weather.

Comment

If you are happy buying a synthetic stock, fine, if you like wood, I'm ok with that, if you want to buy a gun for it's looks, I happen to be absolutely ok with that too.
            some cheaper synthetic stocks are too flimsy. Same goes for some woods. Something to look at.
            I personally like my walnut stocks, scatchers and all, I did however buy a nova for the tougher fowling jobs and am fine with it, looks performance and all else.
            I just picked up a wood stock rifle, and given the choice I would take a wood one over a plastic one 9 times out of ten. Now if I had the situation like a rare sheep hint and was buying a gun for it, I would not want to buy the wood one with the knowledge that sometimes extreme weather can screw it up. But if buying a gun was not in the cards I'd have no problem at all using a classic walnut stocked rifle.

Comment

Synthetic stocks are a butt ugly item that serves the interests of the gun manufacturers and does little for the 'average' hunter. Certainly, they have gone to great lengths to sell us on the notion that we are risking that shot of a lifetime by using anything but a stock imperious to the weather. Nonsense, this is not about the merits of the synthetic, it's is about money and profit. Synthetics are cheap and allow for good margins, so it is worth convincing the shooting public that this is THE answer. Answer me this... will you pass along your classic wood stock rifle to your Grandchildren or that black thing that has so little character? From that perspective, I could care less that the butt ugly version 'might' shoot better. If you own a straight shooting classic rifle the texture and grain of the wood make it one of a kind, more so as each mark defines it to be yours. That uniqueness speaks to the history of the firearm and the experiences you have enjoyed in the field. That is the piece of yourself that is nice to leave for your Son and his children. Perhaps some day a young man or woman will hold one of my rifles and think, "This is a real beauty and it is once belonged to my Great Great Grandfather." Synthetic stocked rifles are for pure function while the classic wooden stock has value beyond function.

Comment

I once slipped on some ice and fell on the wood stock of my rifle, cracked the stock behind the receiver and made it unusable. i did have a back up rifle with me. i don't think a synthetic would have broken. i like the looks of wood but do have several rifles both ways. synthetic have come a long way in the bedding systems and now shoot as well as wood.

Comment

When I first read this post, I was thinking how much I prefer wood over synthetic stocks, then realized that nearly all my hunting is done with guns with synthetic stocks. My favorite, wood-stocked firearms seem to have become safe queens. I don't mind getting the plastic stocks banged up in the Jeep or on the 4-wheeler and I really like the way the camo Mossberg 835 works for turkeys. Love the wood on my other shotguns and rifles, too, but they just don't seem to get used much any more. Such is life.

Comment

I have one synthetic stocked rifle and I use it more and more. Cheap synthetic stocks are just that, cheap. There are some very good one's out there that do add stability and accuracy in all weather consitions, such as, Hogue. McMillan,and Savage Accustock. However, the beauty of wood cannot be outdone.

Comment

i use a remington 700 sps varmint its obviously synthetic but the reason is that living in mn and having to deal with snowy winters (not last year!) you need the synthetic so that the stock doesnt look bad when it gets wet compared to a wood stock if it is cheap the coloration or finish will fade when it comes in contact with water like the mossberg 500 20ga i used for waterfowl last year.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• bedding on new rifle
                        by Amflyer
                        Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                        Today, 12:22 AM
                      • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                        by fitch270
                        Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                        Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                      • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                        by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                        09-23-2020, 07:43 PM
                      • Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                        by dewman
                        Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                        09-22-2020, 08:40 AM
                      • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                        by dewman
                        Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                        09-22-2020, 07:59 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X