Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There are some great rifle calibers whose merits are debated on the forum. Here is a different perspective on choosing the best.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are some great rifle calibers whose merits are debated on the forum. Here is a different perspective on choosing the best.

There are some great rifle calibers whose merits are debated on the forum. Here is a different perspective on choosing the best. The 7mm Mauser, the .375 H & H Magnum, the 30-06 and the .308 have all sponsored the development of successful rounds based on their cases. Based on that criterion, which one is the winner? Perhaps, I have neglected a round that you feel should be included in this list?

Last year another magazine conducted an online survey and the 30-06 was chosen by the readers.

Comment

I'm not really sure on what you are asking, but from your list as an all around caliber I would choose the .30-06.

Comment

Based on the number of different cartridges based on the original case listed above, I would say it is either the 308 or the 375 H&H. The 375 was used to develop most of the belted magnums being used today and the 308 has it's own legitimate offspring and a number of wildcats.

Comment

I don't do a lot of rifle hunting, but as far as an all-around round, I would say the .308 is probably the winner. Although you can't go wrong with the .30-06 either.

Comment

I am not sure how many of the belted magnums came be way of the 375 H & H but as Birddog mentioned most have derived from that great old cartridge. The 30-06 spawned the .270, 25-06, .280, 35 Whelan, and 8mm06. I guess if you chose to rate the winner you might look at the overall sales of the original round and its related rounds. I would say the 30-06 and its offshoot rounds would easily score the highest as hunting rounds sold. I have the .375 H & H Magnum and a 300 Winchester Magnum, I have a 30-06 and a 25-06 and I have a 7 X 57 MM and a .257 Roberts .. so it is a tie between those three originals for me.

Comment

I also find it interesting that these great cartridges were developed over 100 years ago and remain effective and successful rounds today. The 7 X 57 in 1892, the 30-06 final version in 1906 and the .375 H & H Magnum in 1912. It says plenty about the knowledge of the men who invented these rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by NM View Post
                Last year another magazine conducted an online survey and the 30-06 was chosen by the readers.
                It's hard to beat the .30-06

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                  I'm not really sure on what you are asking, but from your list as an all around caliber I would choose the .30-06.
                  Again, It's hard to beat the .30-06

Comment

Originally posted by DSMbirddog View Post
                    Based on the number of different cartridges based on the original case listed above, I would say it is either the 308 or the 375 H&H. The 375 was used to develop most of the belted magnums being used today and the 308 has it's own legitimate offspring and a number of wildcats.
                    Now that's the way I read the question too.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                      I don't do a lot of rifle hunting, but as far as an all-around round, I would say the .308 is probably the winner. Although you can't go wrong with the .30-06 either.
                      For years, I used the .308 exclusively on deer and pigs with no complaints

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                        I am not sure how many of the belted magnums came be way of the 375 H & H but as Birddog mentioned most have derived from that great old cartridge. The 30-06 spawned the .270, 25-06, .280, 35 Whelan, and 8mm06. I guess if you chose to rate the winner you might look at the overall sales of the original round and its related rounds. I would say the 30-06 and its offshoot rounds would easily score the highest as hunting rounds sold. I have the .375 H & H Magnum and a 300 Winchester Magnum, I have a 30-06 and a 25-06 and I have a 7 X 57 MM and a .257 Roberts .. so it is a tie between those three originals for me.
                        Not bad choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                          I also find it interesting that these great cartridges were developed over 100 years ago and remain effective and successful rounds today. The 7 X 57 in 1892, the 30-06 final version in 1906 and the .375 H & H Magnum in 1912. It says plenty about the knowledge of the men who invented these rounds.
                          That's a great point too. And don't forget the 6.5x55

Comment

Here's something you may find interesting on this topic

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                              Here's something you may find interesting on this topic
                              The .30-06 also inspired the .308 which is essentially just a shorter version

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget