Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It seems like Rifles these days are just coming with scope mounts and no more iron good ol' iron sights. Do you think this is sm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It seems like Rifles these days are just coming with scope mounts and no more iron good ol' iron sights. Do you think this is sm

It seems like Rifles these days are just coming with scope mounts and no more iron good ol' iron sights. Do you think this is smart for makers to do? If you don't, why not, and what kind of iron sight set-up do you prefer?

I still prefer iron sights on a few of my rifles, such as my .30-30 lever. I enjoy the classic two posts in the rear with a dot front sight( I used some of the girlfriend's bright colored nail polish on it to really make it stand out). I also prefer the AR-15 style of sights with the peep rear and front post from the bottom.

Comment

If your eyes can acquire the rear and front sight and still find the target then I believe you are well served by shooting with open sights. Most of us from the older generation learned to shoot using iron sights and I believe we benefited from the training. In some ways learning to control your breathing and trigger pull with open sights has some advantages. The crosshair on a high power rifle scope seems to be accentuate the slightest movement of the rifle. There is something to be said for getting the feel of your rifle. Skilled shotgunners know the truth of that statement as firing a shotgun well is an art somehow remote from the mechanics of handling the firearm. Our .22's had open iron sights but our first big game rifles were usually military surplus and we soon came to know the value of the peep sight. The old .303 had one of the best peeps and the modern M1A sight is a beauty as well. I do not have much experience with the AR style rifles and their sights.

Comment

PS I will sing the praises of open sights but my aging eyes are very thankful for rifle scopes.
        Kody

Comment

-The only time I ever hunt with a scope is when coyote hunting at long distances.
          -I wouldn't call it a bad idea, but gun companies should atleast offer to put iron sights on their rifles.

Comment

Also, I enjoy the Remington 700 BDL and the Winchester '94 set up.

Comment

I like the two dots in the rear and a post up front. My Remington 760 has a high mount on it so i can use either the scope or irons.

Comment

JMO~ We will never see the loss of Iron Sights From Leaver Guns!!!
                Most New Gun buyer(90%) put a Scope on there Rifle,
                and Gun Mft.know this they give what the Public want.

Comment

I've used scoped rifles so long that it is second nature finding the target. I can use iron sights to a degree but at my age it isn't the best. As you age you lose the accomodation reflex in your eyes. That's the ability to focus near then focus far rapidly and this is required to use iron sights well.

Comment

I'd say it kind of depends on the kind of gun. I.E., if it's a lever gun, or something similar, or one chambered in a dangerous-game cartridge, then I think iron sights are a good idea. But for the more traditional hunting rifles, I think they've become kind of superfluous - after all, when's the last time you saw someone hunting, say, coyotes with open sights.
                    I guess I might not have the most unbiased opinion, since I've always preferred the the clean, "sexy" look of a rifle without open sights, and I never use open sights anyway. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Aperture (peep) sights are by far the most useful of iron sights for me.

Comment

you ever shoot a mule deer on full bound with a open sight rifle? it's like stepping back in time for a brief moment. I enjoy them both and wish all guns had iron sights, you never know when the scope might break out in the field.

Comment

Hi...

I've never used a scope for hunting.

My preferred iron sights are like the ones found on the U.S. issue M1 carbine...adjustable rear peep sight...one click up for 100 yards, two clicks up for 200 yards, and three clicks up for 300 yards.

Second choice...also with adjustable rear sights... would be a buckhorn sight.

Highlighting the front sight is also a good idea.

Comment

When your eyes are old and dim, and you have to choose between which of the two front beads you see, you'll appreciate a scope,,,

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                              by jhjimbo
                              If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                              Today, 02:15 PM
                            • Pay it forward
                              by fitch270
                              I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                              10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                            • Reloading Gear Order
                              by fitch270
                              I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                              10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                            • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                              by dewman
                              Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                              10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                            • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                              by Ernie
                              Any handgun hunters here?
                              Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                              10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X