Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody interested in a rifle that cheap{$79.95)has plenty of muzzle energy and range?For kicks I bought a RUSSIAN MOSAN NAGANT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anybody interested in a rifle that cheap{$79.95)has plenty of muzzle energy and range?For kicks I bought a RUSSIAN MOSAN NAGANT

anybody interested in a rifle that cheap{$79.95)has plenty of muzzle energy and range?For kicks I bought a RUSSIAN MOSAN NAGANT 7.62X54R and started seeing how far I could shoot it,shooting offhand open sights it was pretty well dead on at three hundred yards.AT 500 yards and kentucky windage I was hitting witin 3 feet ,not bad with the strong wind minutes before tornadoes hit.

Took a doe with mine last year at 177 yards using the Brown Bear 203 grains softpoints...dropped where she stood. I have scoped mine, put in a Timney trigger (has a great safety on it), got a $59 bent bolt job on ebay (thanks Sam Shepherd) and a fiberglass stock too. It's been a fun project and has plenty for deer or black bear.

Comment

Were did you guys pick up the rifles? For that price you caught my attention.

Comment

It is one odd ball cartridge by our standards. Certainly, the strange contour of the case would be of immediate notice. I have owned and fired quite a few rounds from this Russian military gun. I had it in the shorten carbine model. The longer version is an ungainly thing ...butt ugly in my opinion. The rifles shoot alright but are from from the quality of their counterparts used by the Allies in either of the Great War. They were knocked off in tough circumstances and I was nervous firing the rifle at first. For me it was a novelty that soon lost its appeal. The 6,5 X 55 Swedish mauser 95 has a bolt that is likely no stronger than the Nagat but it a much finer rifle. Of course, the old bolt action Springfield 30-06, Mauser 98 and the .303 are stronger and head and shoulders above this old Russian war horse. The former rifles found a following in the sporting community that has pretty high expectations of our firearms. I guess I am saying that you get what you pay for and in this case it is not much compared to what else is available. Sure buy one if you want something cheap and different but don't kid yourself into thinking it is anything relatively special.

Comment

As I have seen on TOP GUNS on History channel, it looks as if the NAGANT has a very tight bolt making it hard to extract shells smoothly and quickly. Is this your experience with your own personal ones as well??

Comment

Officerdom1987-- I can't recall having that problem with the one that I had nor the one my brother purchased at the same time. If I buy any such surplus rifle in the future, I will check the headspace before blasting away. I have had a case blow out in the past and recall counting my numb fingers to make sure they were all there.

Comment

local sporting gun store bardstown,ky, I told a friend aboot it in ILLINOIS and he said they had them there also.LOL ,I never meant to compare them to better rifles ,but it was fun to shoot and I'M always trying to shoot different rifles at diffucult ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Augustheat View Post
                Took a doe with mine last year at 177 yards using the Brown Bear 203 grains softpoints...dropped where she stood. I have scoped mine, put in a Timney trigger (has a great safety on it), got a $59 bent bolt job on ebay (thanks Sam Shepherd) and a fiberglass stock too. It's been a fun project and has plenty for deer or black bear.
                So, your scope is mounted above the receiver and not to the side?

Comment

Originally posted by 30-CAL View Post
                  Were did you guys pick up the rifles? For that price you caught my attention.
                  I got mine at a gun show.

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                    It is one odd ball cartridge by our standards. Certainly, the strange contour of the case would be of immediate notice. I have owned and fired quite a few rounds from this Russian military gun. I had it in the shorten carbine model. The longer version is an ungainly thing ...butt ugly in my opinion. The rifles shoot alright but are from from the quality of their counterparts used by the Allies in either of the Great War. They were knocked off in tough circumstances and I was nervous firing the rifle at first. For me it was a novelty that soon lost its appeal. The 6,5 X 55 Swedish mauser 95 has a bolt that is likely no stronger than the Nagat but it a much finer rifle. Of course, the old bolt action Springfield 30-06, Mauser 98 and the .303 are stronger and head and shoulders above this old Russian war horse. The former rifles found a following in the sporting community that has pretty high expectations of our firearms. I guess I am saying that you get what you pay for and in this case it is not much compared to what else is available. Sure buy one if you want something cheap and different but don't kid yourself into thinking it is anything relatively special.
                    They are worth what you pay for them, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by officerdom1987 View Post
                      As I have seen on TOP GUNS on History channel, it looks as if the NAGANT has a very tight bolt making it hard to extract shells smoothly and quickly. Is this your experience with your own personal ones as well??
                      Yep, they are somewhat slow to cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by Kody View Post
                        Officerdom1987-- I can't recall having that problem with the one that I had nor the one my brother purchased at the same time. If I buy any such surplus rifle in the future, I will check the headspace before blasting away. I have had a case blow out in the past and recall counting my numb fingers to make sure they were all there.
                        I probably need to check the headspace on my Mosin

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                          local sporting gun store bardstown,ky, I told a friend aboot it in ILLINOIS and he said they had them there also.LOL ,I never meant to compare them to better rifles ,but it was fun to shoot and I'M always trying to shoot different rifles at diffucult ranges.
                          6P, do you still have your Mosin Nagant?

Comment

I'm considering modifying one of my Mosin Nagants for scope mount over the receiver...
                            Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                              by fitch270
                              Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                              Yesterday, 05:55 PM
                            • Grips and stocks
                              by dewman
                              so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                              Yesterday, 08:55 AM
                            • Youth pheasant hike
                              by fitch270
                              Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                              09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                            • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                              by fitch270
                              Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                              09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                            • Unusual Sound
                              by jhjimbo
                              At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                              09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X