Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Guys i have a question i was wondering if i should sell my .243win remington 700 adl synthetic or should i keep it. i am als

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Guys i have a question i was wondering if i should sell my .243win remington 700 adl synthetic or should i keep it. i am als

Hey Guys i have a question i was wondering if i should sell my .243win remington 700 adl synthetic or should i keep it. i am also wondering if i should either buy a deer rifle or a multi purpose combo slug/ field shotgun what type what caliber/gauge o and i live right west of the twin cites in MN rifles arent aloud but i could always use my dads shot gun for a year and then get a slug the reason i ask is because i might go rifle hunting with my freinds but i live on a farm which i can olny use slugs. i also want to go elk hunting when i am older. I have shot a 30-06 a .223 .243 12ga .22lr 20ga .410 and a BB GUN

I'd keep the .243 for a deer rifle. It isn't the caliber I'd choose for deer, but lots of folks swear by it and it does a good job with correct bullet placement. That's a good model rifle, too. I think I'd get a good slug gun combo in 12 ga. (maybe a used one) and wait until the elk hunting trip got closer to being a reality before investing in a rifle for that. Good hunting.

Comment

If you own it I would hang on to it. You might get a chance to use it in northern MN where rifles are allowed for deer hunting. Piney is right, find a slug gun combo in 12 ga and you're set.

Comment

I agree with pineywoods. Get a smooth bore shotgun.

Comment

Thank you guys what shotgun do you guys think would be good and open sights or should i get one of them where it has that rail thing that you mount the scope to and also what power scope thank you guys so much and sorry for all the questions!

P.S. JM love the pic

Comment

O and one more thing if i do decide to sell my .243 for lets say a .270 or a 30-06 how much would i get? its only shot about 60 rounds and only range shooting

Comment

Listen to DSMbirddog and don’t sell your rifle. So, you sell it then you have a bit of money and no more gun. Lots of people have money, but you are the only one with your .243. Keep it and save for the .270 or .30-06 down the road. As far as a shotgun, I’m with Pineywoods on the combo. For the slugs, I like a low power scope with a rifled barrel. My slug gun is my Grandpa’s old 870 12. I put on a Hastings rifled barrel and a 2.5X20 scope.

Comment

Whether or not you need a scope depends on your own personal preference. I know for a fact that iron sights will not be a problem when it comes to a shotgun since you can not reach out and take those long shots like you could with a .243. If I was you, I would take my time and find a good deal. Smooth bore shotguns seem to last for ever, so go to a gun dealership and see if they have any good used ones for sale. While you are there see if you could make a trade in on that .243 for a different centerfire rifle(And you never know, you might get lucky and get a straight swap for the caliber you would rather have). Sorry if stucture of responce is a bit confusing, I am typing this on my phone and sometimes it makes auto-corrections.

Comment

Hi...

It appears that most answerers think you can't go wrong with a shotgun...preferably in 12 guage. I concur.

However...are you on a tight budget, or not? If not, why wonder about it?

I believe you will come out ahead, though, if you keep the rifle.

Regarding the shotgun, I personally prefer iron sights, but that's up to you. As you already know, the shotgun would be multi-purpose...shot, slugs (and there are many kinds now), or even buckshot, if and where legal.

Enjoy, and good luck.

Comment

Also if you do decide to buy a new centerfire rifle I would suggest a 7mm Mag =]. It can take down any animal in North America from a good distance away(Although I would probably opt for the biggest caliber available if I went on a grizzly/brown bear hunt to help ensure I dont get mauled =p).
                    -I've only been on two elk hunts in my life, but I dropped a cow elk in her tracks from 300 yards away using the same load I use for whitetail.

Comment

Thank you guys so much! and about the 870's i am only 13 but i do know that the 870s have got a lot less smoot and i almost feel well like they feel crappy if thats the right word for the expresses at least but my dads wingmaster is smooth very smooth. Also does the 7mm give much more kick than a 30-06 because i have shot my dads old beautiful A-bolt in 30-06 and well shooting in a chair it hurt a lot after 5 rounds compared to anything ive shot before but that was from a chair and you dont have the "Buck Fever" going on. Also Could anyone give me any info about the brand dont go any where over like $600-$650 because im not made on that much money but i might have a chance and if i dont get one now when should I. Also this will be my first time deer hunting once again sorry for all the questions

Comment

O And how much will a used wingmaster go for in 12ga and will it be hard to find a slug barrel with it or will i have to find one. and should i get it used or knew the reason is that with my experience 870 expresses arent the greatest and that is the 20ga i am selling. also if i do have to buy a slug barrel seperatly what should be a price i would be looking around thank you!!!!!

Comment

Sell your wife (or husband). Sell the kids. Sell the house, but don't sell your guns!
                          CoyoteHunterBlake.....You mention that you only shot 60 rounds through your .243, that rifle isn't even broken in yet! Don't sell your .243, hold on to it and use it for a deer rifle where you can. Get a shotgun combo you want. Between the slug and smoothbore barrel combo plus the .243 you have it covered from deer to turkey!
                          I would go with either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. I like Mossberg's shotgun, so I would go with a Mossberg 500 and the accessories you can get for it. You can even get a muzzleloading barrel for the Mossberg 500.

Comment

Thank you I undestand that the 500 is very reliable and has tons of accsesories but since like i stated before i have never gone deer hunting before and i know the 500 is very like ratily in the foerarm i was wondering if this would potentionaly scare away the deer the reason i know this is because my mom has an old one in 20ga and my little brother has one in .410 and im only 13 dont have a family yet

Comment

Hello Coyote hunter Blake,
                              I must tell you that I laughed as I read your post. Your comments reminded my so much of myself when I was probably your age that I could not help but smile. Like yourself I was full of ideas and anxious to pursue new things, most notably in regard to hunting. I dreamt about shotguns and ducks coming into range. I would have slept with that 16 guage pump shotgun if my folks would have let me. I got it for my 10th birthday and I do not believe that I have since received any gift, whatever the price tag, which I welcomed more. Don't sell any rifle or shotgun that you have come to prize as a kid because you will have a sense of loss later. I am a believer in keeping "the kid alive" regardless of how old we become in years. I continue to dream of hunts yet to come and the rifle or shotgun that will be the tool for the outing. That little Ithaca 16 guage is more valuable than all the rest as it is the connection to what was and remains the essence of the hunt and of my youthful enthusiasm.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                                by fitch270
                                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                                Today, 08:27 PM
                              • Unusual Sound
                                by jhjimbo
                                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                                Today, 02:17 PM
                              • bedding on new rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                                Today, 12:22 AM
                              • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                                by fitch270
                                Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                                Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                              • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                                by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                                09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X