Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have read that if you are shooting uphill you need to aim low. I have also read that if you are shooting DOWNHILL you also nee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have read that if you are shooting uphill you need to aim low. I have also read that if you are shooting DOWNHILL you also nee

I have read that if you are shooting uphill you need to aim low. I have also read that if you are shooting DOWNHILL you also need to aim low. Is this true? It seems counter-intuitive. What's the real skinny? Thanks! Dave Skowron Ely, NV

When shooting steeply up or down hill you should always hold low for long distance. Close shots doesn't change the impact. Hope that helps

Comment

Yes, you aim low for both. How much lower you need to aim just depends what you are shooting(rifle,bow,shotgun, etc.). If you think you will take a shot like this in the near future go out and practice. Sit on the top of a big ridge and set up a target at the bottom.

Comment

IND NRA hit it on the head. The angle must be steep and the range significant.

Comment

What IND says is correct but keep in mind taking long shots with a bow and arrow(if you do archery) you wanna aim a tad higher for longer shots due to the arrow dropping drastically as it slows.

Comment

The reason:

Assuming you are familiar with an ordinary bullet trajectory---that if you sight in at a hundred yards, your bullet will be an inch (for example) above the line of sight between the gun and the target. Gravity pulls the bullet toward the ground, so the bullet must be aimed slightly higher so that it will strike dead on out there where you want it to.

Now, if you shoot steeply up or down hill, the effect of gravity is not as immediately influential as on the horizontal, causing the bullet to go high (as your aiming mechanism was set to cause it to do) and to continue to go high longer than it would if you were shooting horizontally and necessitating a lower hold to hit your up or down target.

I hope I didn't confuse you.

Comment

It may help to understand the force at work that accounts for this event. Visualize a right angle triangle ABC with B being the 90 degree angle - your shot is up hill from A to C or downhill from C to A. That is the longest tangent of the triangle so it would seem the bullet has a long way to travel and thus drop. However, the forces of gravity effect the bullet over the time it requires to travel from A to B which is a shorter distance thus the bullet has less time to suffer from the gravitational forces. If the distance represented by A to C ran parallel to the ground then there would be the bullet drop that you anticipated. Interesting, isn't it?

Comment

Kody, you are so much smarter than me. I had to have a sniper explain it all to me. He was using all kinds of equations, the likes of which I have not seen since college. In the end, I think I will just aim a little higher or lower and throw enough lead down range to cover the general vicinity.

Comment

The others are all correct, and I can't explain it any better than them, but I had to respectfully disagree with IND_NRA about it not being a factor at close ranges. That all depends on the velocity/trajectory of the load you're using. I have hunted with airguns for a long time, and I speak from experience when I say that with something that has a slow velocity and extreme trajectory like that that you definitely need to hold low on steeply angled shots, even if they're only 20-30 yards.

Comment

I vote Kody wins the prize here.

Now lets see if I can muddy up the waters.
                    Consider bullet pass thru if you are shooting a game animal and not a just a target. Picturing Kody's triangle C to A; If the animal is downhill your point of impact on the animal needs to higher on the engine room so that the bullet travels thru as much chest as possible before exiting on the opposite side.
                    If the animal is uphill, triangle A to C point of impact needs to be lower on the engine room.
                    later,
                    charlie

Comment

The Captain's field solution works very well when you are shooting enemies of the U.S. because if one them has a slow more painful death not too many us will lose much sleep.
                      However if it is a prized game animal like an elk or deer we owe it a swift painless death.
                      later,
                      charlie

Comment

Hi...

I can't say for a fact which answer is correct. I will say, however, that Kody's answer appears to make the most sense.

Comment

These days, I am preoccupied with matters of work in which I do not have the luxury to be wrong. It has gone well but not without more effort than I have ever directed to my working life. Predictably, the rest of your life goes to hell and I am seldom right about anything outside of work. So, it is nice to hear I can still get it right and will have a life to return to that includes hitting real targets and not just deadlines. I look forward to getting back into the forum. I will catch up with you fellows soon, Captain and Charlie Elk.
                          PS I am just as apt to forget the triangulation stuff, let alone the lesson in anatomy from Charlie Elk, with the animal in my sights on some remote hillside!!

Comment

The easiest way I've found to figure all this complicated stuff out was to buy a range finder that automatically does it for me! I has been fascinating ranging animals that are clearly 400 yards away, and the range finder is telling me to shoot at 200 yards. (I'm from Idaho, and there is no such thing as a level shot!)

Comment

Precision shooting is a hobby of mine and I found this in a paper called "Precision Shooter Math" by retired SOG sniper Maj John Plaster.
                              • - For a target 45 degrees up or down, multiply the actual distance by 0.7,
                              set your scope elevation for this distance and aim dead-on;
                              • - When the target's 30 degrees up or down, multiply its range by 0.9, set
                              your scope for this distance and aim dead-on;
                              • - If the target angle is less than 30 degrees, aim dead-on.
                              Hope it helps more than confuses.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                                by dewman
                                So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                                Today, 10:12 PM
                              • Now That's Service
                                by jhjimbo
                                Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
                                Today, 07:57 PM
                              • Lost some cover; pic heavy
                                by fitch270
                                ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                                Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              • Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X