Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it harmful to dry fire a remington 700 for shooting practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it harmful to dry fire a remington 700 for shooting practice?

Is it harmful to dry fire a remington 700 for shooting practice?

Nope.

Comment

get a snap cap if you are worried

Comment

No, the only modern guns that might be hurt by dry-firing might be some of the high-class doubles, and even then I kinda doubt it.

Comment

I wouldn't worry to much about it but Yoda does have a good suggestion. Snap caps are also useful for storage. I always store my rifles with the firing pin in the fired position.

Comment

Dry firing a 700 will actully cuase less harm then firing with a live cartridge. There will be no return force on the firing pin. But, I agree with yoda and dsmbirddog--a snap cap, and I always leave my guns stored in the fire position.

Comment

I've heard of keeping guns with the firing pin in the fired position because it's less stress on the firing pin spring. Is that the actual reason why? And what is a snap cap?

Comment

I've always been told not to dry fire. use a snap cap or a spent cartridge.

Comment

@OfficerDom: 1) Yep, the reason for storing a gun "uncocked" is to keep the spring from potentially losing its strength. 2) A snap cap is just an empty shell or case with the primer replaced with a rubber plug to provide the firing pin something malleable to strike when dry-firing.

Comment

Hi...

I once had a firing pin break off when dry firing. Once was once too much. Don't do it without a snap cap...!!

Comment

YES....use a spent round or a Snap-Cap!

Comment

DMS, You don't need a snap cap for storage. Open the bolt, pull the trigger, slowly close the bolt. Your firing pin should gently come forward.
                        I have no opinion on whether dry firing harms or not, but I do know NEVER dry fire a rimfire.

Comment

I have put this to the test I bought a Rem 700 Bdl a number of years ago at an estate sale for 50 bucks and it looked like a 50 dollar rifle but what the heck I thought. It sat in the corner of my closet when we decided to challenge this question. Years of us, me and my friends deliberately trying to break the firing pin by dry firing. A buck a session in the kitty each session lasts until you get tired of pulling the trigger if it breaks during your session you get the kitty.$146 and counting to date no pin breakage. we did JB weld a metal rod an inch long into the chamber so it could never be loaded but there is a 1/2 inch of free(empty space) between the bolt and the chamber so if dry firing hurts it I haven't see it

Comment

We did dry firing exercises in the Army all the time. I have dry fired a M4 and bolt gun hundreds of thousands of times.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                              by jhjimbo
                              Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                              09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                            • Spur of the moment rifle
                              by Amflyer
                              I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                              09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                            • The $20 Shooting Shack
                              by fitch270
                              So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                              09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                            • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                              by dewman
                              one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                              09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                            • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                              by dewman
                              So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                              09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X