Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a 12-gun rack which some of the rifles are family air looms/antiques. I was wandering, besides putting oil on them, what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tws
    replied
    I use wd40. Wipe it on and wipe off excess. Dust will get to it no matter what you do unless in a air tight case. It's not that hard to pick them up every couple of months and wipe them down with a rag with a dab of wd40 on it. I wipe mine down and run a patch through the barrel/action with wd every 6 months and once a year I break them down to get into the tight spots. I'm not saying spray it on and leave. I'm saying wipe on lightly wipe off. All my gun are 30 to 40 years old including my muzzleloader that I clean with soap and water and you will not find a speck of rust on any. It does not gum up. It does not trap dust like oil does. It does not hurt the finish on metal or wood. And it cost ahellofalot less than that wonder stuff you pay big bucks for. One can will last years. I will put my guns with wd against any of that stuff anyday. Rust and clean its good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• RES1956
    replied
    Good answer 25-06 guy

Leave a comment:

• Trapper Vic
    replied
    Rig grease and a rig rag. You will never see any rust no matter how long it sits! Will also protect the stock. Might give the barrel a shot of w-d 40 couple a time per year.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    I use MAX Gun Cleaner by Remington at Wal*Mart
    it works in and out Put all your Fire arms Barrel Down in your Safe oil Runs Down Not in to the Walnut
    wood.

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    If you don't want to clean then get a glass case. But hey, sometimes cleaning them brings back memories etc. so think about that as well. I can't go a full year without cleaning my guns even if they have not been shot.

Leave a comment:

• pineywoods
    replied
    I have to assume you want to keep those family heirlooms on display, so your best bet would be to enclose the gun rack with a glass front so you can enjoy looking at them without having dust accumulate, otherwise you'll have to do as montananative suggested and clean them several times a year.

Leave a comment:

• montananative
    replied
    Clean them 2-3 times a year, or like 25-06 said get the gun sock. there is also plastic packages that are vacumed that keeps out any moisture or dust, I seen them in the most recent cheaper than dirt magazine.

Leave a comment:

• 30-CAL
    replied
    Check out the silicone impregnated gun socks, They are not much money and they keep dust off the firearms and any moisture in the air from getting to them.

Leave a comment:

• I have a 12-gun rack which some of the rifles are family air looms/antiques. I was wandering, besides putting oil on them, what

I have a 12-gun rack which some of the rifles are family air looms/antiques. I was wandering, besides putting oil on them, what can I put in the barrel and action to keep the dust and dirt out of them to preserve their look longer?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
    by jhjimbo
    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
    Yesterday, 02:15 PM
  • Pay it forward
    by fitch270
    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
  • Reloading Gear Order
    by fitch270
    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
  • Ruger Oops! Round 2
    by dewman
    Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
    10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
  • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
    by Ernie
    Any handgun hunters here?
    Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
    10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X