Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best type of pellet (material and or design (hollow, point.ec.) for a pellet pistol (600fps). lead really doesnt kil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best type of pellet (material and or design (hollow, point.ec.) for a pellet pistol (600fps). lead really doesnt kil

What is the best type of pellet (material and or design (hollow, point.ec.) for a pellet pistol (600fps). lead really doesnt kill in one shot. would a stronger metal that could penetrate farther be more lethal?

as in any hunting situation the ballistics should be taken into consideration as to the quarry your after,a pellet with a lead hollow point is quite capable of taking small game such as rabbit and squirrel within a reasonable range.30 yards should be close to out side range with a pistol,I'VE never heard of a pointed brass or steel plated pellet.indeed one would penetrate deeper and be more lethal.

Comment

I think lead pellets should be able to get the job done on anything smaller than a rabbit at under 25 yards. If you can find steel pellets or something though that would definetely add to the penetration.

Comment

Yeah, same as 6phunter, while a steel or copper pellet would be good in theory, I've never heard of anyone making them. The Raptor PBA pellet is made from some kind of alloy, not lead, but since it's optimized for max velocity I don't think the penetration would be better than lead.
        If a regular lead pointed-tip pellet doesn't do the job for you, then you might need a higher-powered gun.

Comment

I shoot the Gamo Raptor pellet that huntfishtrap mentioned and I have found them to be everything they claim to be. They are advertised to increase FPS and penetration by 25% and I would say they do that and maybe a bit more. They are literally gold plated, so they are a bit more pricey than lead, but they might be worth a try.

Comment

Stoping Power = More Speed 600Fps you need at lease 900 to 1000 Fps to gain deeper penetration not a New Pellet.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget