Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Browning X Bolt in 300 Win Mag with a 26 inch barrel. I am about to have my gunsmith cut the barrel down to 24 inches.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• duckdog07
    replied
    cheaper to just push your hand an inch forward on the forearm of the stock

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Yeah there are lots of edges in life kody some you want to be nudged over and others--well---not so much.
    Some day we will meet and that is a day I very much look forward to.
    later,
    charlie

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied
    The question remains.. on the edge of what? I am convinced that you and I will meet some day Charlie Elk. If I survive the next year or two of work I will have some time on my hands, so look out! When that time arrives Kody will assume a new identity. He will become Mr. Leisure. The list is long my friend because so many items have been put on hold for family and work. At least I have time to get my gun rack in good working order for the day when I can focus on using all those fun firearms.

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    You sounded like a fellow on the edge of getting a new gun; just little nudge and.... isn't that what friends are for? ;-D)
    later,
    charlie

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied
    OK Charlie, I will check out a Sako 300 Win Mag in Model 85. I hope they are on sale. I will look at a synthetic version with a 24 inch stainless barrel. Yes, you heard right... I will consider getting one of those ugly rifles that I swore I would never own! Why the change of heart... because I can handle the wallop of the lighter gun better than I can handle packing the extra weight of the heavier more beautiful rifles. Between a new hip and sore knees I believe I should seek out every possible advantage. Other than that I have to put my wife through an intensive fitness regiment prior to the safari so that she can be my 'gun bearer'!
    We saw that movie Grey tonight where the wolves dine on oilfield workers. Perhaps she will want to carry more than her camera on this safari!!

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Kody wrote - ("mess with different powders as a possible option to address velocity and accuracy issues.")
    If the smith doesn't get the new crown exactly right, no tinkering with the load will fix the accuracy side of this equation.
    later,
    charlie

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Hey Kody,
    I think an African safari is a great excuse for a new gun. Think hard before you let this opportunity slip by. ;-D)))
    An Alaskan friend has a Ruger in .338 with I think a 22" or 24" barrel. He carries it all the time in the AK bush as bear repellant. He took it to Africa last year and came back trophy heavy.
    Good luck shopping and hunting.
    later,
    charlie

Leave a comment:

• Kody
    replied
    Ok you guys! I will have to ponder this one. Dropping to a lesser caliber is not an option, I want the Magnum on my African safari. If I sell the rifle at this time, I will lose no more than the value I would by way of shortening the barrel should I decide to sell it later. The bolt and the trigger are great, so the issue will be the possibility of a significant loss of accuracy by way of this shortening operation. I have 180 gr Swift A Frame bullets shooting well and I am able to mess with different powders as a possible option to address velocity and accuracy issues. Umm! I will sit on the decision for a few days.

Leave a comment:

• Smitty18
    replied
    I am with Charlie on this one, new gun may be the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• Smitty18
    replied
    I would say you should get a new gun.

Leave a comment:

• Trapper Vic
    replied
    I'd contact a good gun smith to answer this one. This would change the twist in the rifling. Not sure of the effect?

Leave a comment:

• charlie elk
    replied
    Something else to consider. Cutting off a barrel requires recrowning which from what I've heard rarely leaves you with a rifle as accurate as the one you started with.
    later,
    charlie

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    I'm with Charlie on this one. I would consider getting a different rifle. I would even consider something like a Ruger Untralight with a 20 inch barrel in 308 or 30-06 and save the Browning for hunting out west or when hunting from a stand.

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    Browning Arms might be interested in you,since they have only been making firearms a few years your ideas how to improve on thier rifle design mite be useful.Kinda like jacked up trucks if they performed better customised they would have made them that way.It;s your rifle if cutting off two inches helps,4 or 5 more inches should really improve it;s accuracy.

Leave a comment:

• Treestand
    replied
    I would go with Charlie elk, I have a Rem M/7..7mm/08
    Compac 18.5"Bbl,I hunt T-Stands in Woods Line and I Cover Bean Field, with Hornady's SST-Lm ammo I jump the gap of a short Bbl, this past season I droped a Buck at 287Yd and a Doe at 60Yd. 26"Bbl,are old school
    Tec when powder's of yester year were used!
    CUT-it to 22" or buy New!!!

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget